READ THIS BEFORE POSTING - Getting Help on MCEBuddy

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2012 at 7:01 AM
Edited Feb 9 at 11:29 PM
MCEBuddy has a extensive FAQ's in the http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/documentation to provide support for users ranging from basic help, to troubleshooting and even more advanced commans for the brave and curious.

Please search/refer to the Documentation or Discussion Forum to see if you issue has been documented and solutions provided before posting to the forums.

Mostly like you will not get a response to common issues asked a 100 times.

There is some basic help included within MCEBuddy itself. If you rest your mouse over the text, titles or button pop up text will appear. See a list below for the most common pages used to solve questions/problems with MCEBuddy

This is by NO means a complete list. Click on please refer to the wiki browse pages http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/documentation for a complete list of support topics.
Most common issues include audio sync issues, conversions failing etc.
More advanced concepts include handling EDL and SRT files, alternative engines, cropping, resizing, paths, name matching, advanced audio sync etc.

If needed, post in detail the issue at hand, how to replicate the problem and upload the log files to the MCEBuddy Server or a file hosting site like DropBox and INCLUDE THE LINK TO THE LOG in your post (make sure log files are set to DEBUG). DO NOT copy paste the entire log file into the forum.

ACCESS TO LATEST BUILDS ON TO MCEBUDDY SERVER

Click here to read how to get access to the newest builds.

UPLOADING FILES TO MCEBUDDY SERVER

NOTE: There is a file splitter tool that is available on the mcebuddy server which can be used to split the files and upload the 1st chunk if you don't need to upload the entire file (e.g. metadata issues etc).

If you need to upload files for developers to analyze, please upload the video files and logs to:
COPY AND PASTE URL in WINDOWS EXPLORER: ftp://upload.mcebuddy2x.com
You can upload and download files by dragging and dropping them. Alternative you can use a FTP client like FileZilla to upload the files.
Login Username: mcebuddy
Login Password: mcebuddy
OR use standard FTP access:
FTP SERVER: ftp://upload.mcebuddy2x.com
Login Username: mcebuddy
Login Password: mcebuddy
Try to create a folder by name, include a small text file with a description of the problem and put it long with the log files and video files in that folder.

NOTE: Make sure your Firewall and Antivirus don't block FTP otherwise it won't work.

MAKE SURE THE LOG FILES ARE SET TO DEBUG otherwise it won't help.

To Upload Files Using a FTP Client like FileZilla:
  • Download and install a the FTP client FileZilla
  • Start FileZilla then copy and paste upload.mcebuddy2x.com into the Host field at the top of the page
    Then press QuickConnect
  • Enter the username (mcebuddy) and password (mcebuddy)
  • Make a new folder to upload your files or you can skip this step if have only one file to upload
  • Drag the appropriate files from the left pane into the folder
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/1/2014 at 6:57 AM
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM
If you're trying to upload very large file and don't need to upload the whole file, after you login to the MCEBuddy server you can download the File Splitter to cut the file into smaller chunks.

Make sure for WTV and DVRMS file you upload ONLY the FIRST chunk, all the rest are useless.
May 19, 2015 at 3:33 AM
Does MCEBuddy use a program called handbrakeCLI.exe ? If so why should it use 100% of my Intel I7 processor (with 8GB RAM) and run my C: drive 100% of the time for minutes at a time? I was having performance problems with my PC and ran task manager to see what the problem was and I saw handbrakeCLI.exe running my processor at 100% and likewise my C: drive. This was during prime time 8:00 to 10:00 PM) when I was recording TV programs. My tuner cards software is set to send shows they capture to an external USB drive (I have 2 dual tuner capture cards... rarely capture more than 8 shows an evening). MCEBuddy is set to watch the folder on the USB drive where the recorded programs are sent.

Task manager didn't say MCEBuddy was running at all, it said handbrakeCLI.exe was. I searched my C: drive and found handbrakeCLI.exe in a sub-directory of C:\Program files\mcebuddy2.x. Does that file belong there? Is it needed? Any suggestions to prevent my PC from overworking my processor or C: drive but still using MCEbuddy?

Please help. I've currently disabled handbrakecli.exe by changing its name to handbrakecli.exeno.

Sincerely,

Tom Ackley (thomasackley@btes.tv or thomasackley1@gmail.com)
May 19, 2015 at 4:03 AM

Thomas,

I use the System Settings to reduce the cores in my processor that are available to MCEBuddy.

MCEBuddy will reduce the number of cores that are available to any process that it spawns off.

In addition, on the main screen you can reduce the priority of the process from Normal to Low on your desktop.

http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=MCEBuddy%20Advanced%20Commands

This is exposed in the INI file and in the GUI.

CPU’s 1, 3, … n (odd numbered) Cores are real cores

CPU’s 2, 4, … o (even numbered) Cores are Hyper-Threading cores, which are slightly less than the real cores.

So, I pick the last one or two odd numbered cores for processing because the foreground processes tend to start on CPU 1 so your system will be a lot more responsive to you.

So, first, lower the priority, and second, limit the CPU’s.

MCE Buddy uses a bunch of external programs to do its work. Handbrake (https://handbrake.fr/) happens to be one of them and will run at 100% if you let it.

May 19, 2015 at 12:11 PM
You can also schedule MCEBuddy to run at off times. That's what I do.
Coordinator
May 19, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Please start a new thread. Yes MCEBuddy uses handbrakecli to convert the videos.