This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Improving encoding times

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I'm not a programmer, but, I know that encoding software that uses QuickSync, CUDA, or APP(?) encode files so much faster than the CPU. Can you look at adding this feature in?

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Yes you're correct, I do have some ALPHA protoypes for CUDA with me which have shown a 5x to 10x increase in performance over CPU based encoding. However some of the algorigthms used on the prototypes are licensed for commercial distribution.

I'm not sure if people are willing to pay a license fee for using hardware encoding in MCEBuddy so I've haven't pushed for moving from ALPHA to BETA/release.

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:32 AM

what of a free/donation version we call "LE" and a paid version with the different encoding method?  Then users decide.

I'd pay for something faster because honestly I'm not sure I'll keep at it to do my whole collection.  My last HD conversion took just under 4hrs...yikes.

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I'm OK for paying............

I'm using MCEBuddy with an WHS2011 with Intel Atom D525......it's too loooooonnnnnnngggggggg to encode !!!!

Already install an nVidia Cuda video card, for the futur MCEBuddy.......

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:26 AM

rboy1, what kind of pricing would we be talking for a version with gpu encoding support?  Think that'd be a key deciding factor.  Many people like myself go by overall VALUE vs absolute price while others are so sensitive to price they wouldn't consider it above anything except free so for those it's a no-go either way.

Also, what about Intel Quick Sync? Does that require paid license to utilize?  Supposedly that can be like MUCH faster that software-only & faster than even GPU assisted encoding. As more & more Intel chips support it people like myself who have one & prefer onboard video for mcpc (to reduce size, power consumption, heat generated, fan noise & costs) could benefit.
Thx
Bill 

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I can look into Intel QuickSync also, it will take some time.

However key point to note, all hardware accelerated options will be pay for models, either on a subscription basis or a one time fee - again it depends upon number of users. The licenses will be tied to EACH machine, i.e. they will not be portable. There quite some logistics involved in it so it really comes down to the demand from the number of users for this.

Licenses are likely to be about a $2 a month or a one time fee of $30 - $50 depending upon development and license costs.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM

OK great thanks. I think QuickSync should be promising but won't know for sure until digging is done.

Oh gotcha. I thought you meant end-user had to buy a license like ShowAnalyzer to enable the feature.

Personally I'd probably never do a monthly fee.  And a one-time fee would need to be at a reasonable price-point to consider.  Not discounting development time or costs, just thinking in terms of perceived value.  I'd rather let it convert at an hour per show overnight than pay $2 per month to have it finish in 1/2 the time when I'm sleeping anyway.  On the other hand if it was a 1-time fee of like 10 bucks (vs the free slower one) I'd bite just so I knew it would complete sooner & machine could go to sleep saving electricity & wear/tear and of course supporting the project. Perhaps $10 wouldn't even be possible, it's just a # thrown out there.  No matter the # you'll have people who think it's too much, it's a matter of finding a sweet spot you are comfortable with. A balance with # going for it with # scoffing.  To make a million dollars you either need a million people at $1 or 1 person at $1,000,00. ;)

Microsoft is a great example of a company that doesn't get it IMO. They'd rather charge crazy high prices for products like Office or Server/Exchange/etc & be content with fewer customers while pirates have motivation to find ways around it vs if they just priced things reasonably more people would be legit.  Granted they'd never get 100% because some people will scoff at anything but free and those people will never be pleased at any price but most people want to be legit & want to support the developer.  It just needs to be reasonable for the perceived value that's added or they'll find alternatives or pirate or go without.

Not to compare yourself or MCEBuddy to M$ or their products, but to me they are the prime example of bad (or at least misguided) policy.  Intuit/Quickbooks too.  There are a few.  The opposite side of the spectrum would be freeware or open source which rely on support fees or ads etc to make money or be 100% volunteer & not be for profit.  A successful model that is opposite of M$ is the apps model, such as app store or android market.  Very nicely developed apps that are cheap enough that people don't think twice about plunkin down a few bucks & popular apps sell millions.  That was a huge factor in itunes success and the same has played out for apps.

Obviously costs like license fees need to be covered by someone (either built into the app price or paid directly by end-user) & perhaps that sets the bar too high to begin with for many, is why I asked to get a feel for where it'd land. Hopefully it's somewhere reasonable so more can 'bite' and enjoy it vs just being select few.

Sorry for the rambling & please don't take offense. Just offering up my opinion.  I look forward to hearing more (especially QuickSync) & hopefully it's valued right. :)
Thx
Bill 

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM

:) I wish those numbers come true, right now it's about balancing an existing job and doing this full time. At present the contributions are about helping (not covering) pay for the hardware and software I've dedicated to this setup (6 computers and heaps of software).

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:47 AM
I'm a fan of your project, have been for many years... You obviously have costs involved in the project, it'd be cool if you could make a page where one could help with your costs beyond just donating through paypal. Something like a thermometer or something. I would love having hardware acceleration and if it takes paying your server for a month or two its well worth the investment.