File Renaming with no internet?

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:07 AM
Edited Oct 17, 2012 at 5:07 AM

I do not have always on internet...it occasionally drops and has to be reconnected....recently I've had several files that show up wrong because they were unable do to a season/episode lookup....is there a way to delay the rename or another workaround?

Example:

Source Video -> C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\Hart of Dixie_WLTZDT2_2012_10_16_19_59_00.wtv
Converted Video -> C:\HTPC\TV_Shows\Hart of Dixie\Season\Hart of Dixie.SE.If It Makes You Happy.2012_10_15.mp4

It should be Season xx and Hart of Dixie.SxxExx

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I understand your situation but I'm not sure I have a permanent solution, I can however offer the following suggetsions - it's a manual process but that's the only way I can think of:

Disable the automation folder monitoring. Manually add the WTV files to your queue. Using the latest version 2.3.2 you can right click on the file while it's in the conversion queue and (you can select multiple files) click on generate XML file. This is will up the information from the internet and create a XML (NFO) file with the metadata (like season episode etc). Once the files are generated, Stop the conversion. Verify if all the data has been downloaded correctly into the XML files, if not click on start, right click on the files and then extract the data again. Once complete use a 3rd Party program to read the XML data from teh NFO files and renames the converted files.

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Can you throw some light on the internet problem you're facing?

Are you on a Dial up connection or is your Broadband not reliable?

I could put an option to Retry downloading the data from the internet, but it will retry just 2-3 times and then move on, so if it's an intermittent problem then it will work by retrying but if you're disconnected from the internet for extended periods of time there isn't a solution unfortunately.

Let me know.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  My primary internet is tethering to my cell phone...so it may occasionally be just a few minutes while it's reconnecting to the cell tower or it could have dropped the tether and not be up till hours later for example if it did it in the middle of the night while I was sleeping and I happened to record a movie....I have windows media center set to auto start the conversion right after a media center recording finishes.....I may have to go to a fixed time and try and make sure I'm home and the net is up.  

Previously I used a perl script to rename the file ...if the internet lookup failed it would skip the file and try it again the next time the script was called....I was hoping for the option to specify something like that...a "don't convert until internet lookup is successful" etc.  I may have to go back to multiple tools.

Coordinator
Oct 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

You know that by doing something like this it can lead to an infinite loop of retrying until the internet is available right? Ie. nothing will proceeed until the internet is available - it'll just hang doing nothing.

Is that what you want?

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

My apologies....I didn't realize my non constant internet would make things into such a mess.   I wouldn't want it to hang forever....does the rename occur before or after the media conversion?   I would have thought something like check for internet at beginning of job (ping google?) and if options requiring internet are checked such as file renaming defer the job xx period of time and check again?   If that's out of the question then how about logging failed lookups and giving option to update the filename upon a successful lookup later?  

It can't be right to be writing out the filenames as C:\Revolution\Season\Revolution.SE.Some Episode 

Coordinator
Oct 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM

The viable option is the put the file back in the queue and keep trying until it gets the information from the internet, but that would have it's own problem - i.e. the conversion will never happen until the internet is active. think about your frustration if you want to convert, you'll need to stop the engine goto settings and change the task propoerties to continue even if internet is unavailable. Do you still want that option?

The option of renaming later cannot work since it would be prone to too many errors (what if hte file was moved or rename by someone/other app, how long to keeping wait for the internet before renaming (think days and weeks here if you aren't connected) etc).

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I think my only option is to use the seperate perl script i was using to rename the file on the front side...it will do the rename and move the file from media center's recorded tv folder to a "renamed tv" folder which I will set mcebuddy to monitor so it won't even try a conversion until after the file is renamed....If the incoming file already has the SxxExx will mcebuddy still apply the file mask or does it require it's own successful lookup? For example the script does put shows in a subfolder but doesn't sort them by season.

I'm very thankful for the hard work you and the other dev(s) have put into this program.   I've tried other converter's but yours has been the only one which has successfully converted recordings for me made by my hdhomerun tuners and kept the audio/video in sync.

Coordinator
Oct 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I would suggest you use the custom file rename option if you're putting the SxxExx format in the file name (use %originalfilename% in your pattern). That way you can preserve the filename and add/remove additional features and create directories etc. If you need to use the Season and episode details in the custom rename that would depend up on a successful lookup.

You're welcome and feel free to spread the word and contribute to support the development.