AAC Audio in 2.3.6

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:36 AM
I noticed in 2.3.6 you set any file with AAC audio will be set to 2 channel. I now use the HQ MKV conversion, but before that was available I used HQ MP4 and it used AAC. I have many TV shows I converted with MCEBuddy to mp4/AAC that have 5 or 6 channel audio. Why are you saying AAC does no support multi-cannel audio. While it is a little difficult to bitstream AAC multi-channel audio to an AVS, it can be done. I wrote a how-to guide over on AssassinHTPC Blog on how to setup Shark007 to bitstream AAC files if interested.
Coordinator
Oct 31, 2012 at 2:50 AM

That's partly correct, FFMPEG libvo_aacenc does not support multi channel audio. MEncoder faac does support it.

I should have clarified, if MCEBuddy detects libvo_aacenc then it forces the audio to 2 channel, otherwise it does not. So if you're using MEncoder, you're good with multi channel audio. This was a bugfix since MP4 profile starts with mencoder and falls back to ffmpeg. Hence the fallback was failing with multi channel audio since it does not support it.

The release notes are a little misleading.

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Oh ok, I did not realize there was a different between ffmpeg and MEncoder.  Thanks.

BTW, I have said it several times, but AWESOME program.  Thank you for continuing to develop it and not abandoning it like many other great programs.