Network destination question

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Edited Nov 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Hi Rboy,

Can you please describe how does/should MCEBuddy behave in various scenarios when I select network drive as destination ?

-what happens when network drive is unavailable when MCEBuddy finishes the conversion?

1, Will MCEBuddy attempt to transfer the file at later time ? (say hidden queue with timer set in advanced propertion?)

2, Will 'stuck' (not transferred due to unavailable network drive) video file block the conversion queue ?

NAS is 99.9% up and running but it may happen that router/switch/maintenance would result in network drive to be unavailable. Would be great if MCEBuddy did re-try to transfer the file at given interval from temp dir to final destination but conversion queue not to be stuck.

If this is outside of the scope, no problem ... I will try to set up syncing mechanism with 3rd party app.

Thank you

Kind regards,

-vladimir

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Vladimir,

Teh conversion would fail and the file will be removed from the conversion queue. You can try again later by manually adding the original file back to the queue.

MCEBuddy cannot try again later since there is no way to tell when the drive will be available - indefinite issue problem. Plus the temp folder needs to be cleared for the next conversion.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Rboy !

Is possible to add 1 extra field in the dialog box where user enters domain/username/password and that extra field would be 'Local backup directory' in case network path is unavailable ? 

MCEBuddy would then attempt to move it to defined network path ( as it is now ) but if it fails (times out) within, say 1 minute, it would move file out of the temp director into this 'Local backup directory' ?!

I hope this sounds okay, as I can see users to be frustrated when they find out their 5 hour conversion went kaput only because network drive did not mount. 

Kind regards,

-vladimir

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I think thats feasable, let me look into it - MCEBuddy will put the converted file back in the same directory as the original file and log a WARNING message in the log file.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Dear rboy;  I'm having a similar issue; MCEBuddy is telling me that it no longer has access to my NAS drives, which is the destination.

When I attempted to re-map, as I noticed that it's been quite a while since an actual conversion was completed, I received an error saying to use the MCEBUddy icon 'with a key' to enter network login information, as it doesn't use this user.  Well, once finding this icon, I input the information.

Still, when I ask MCEBuddy to [Rescan] for files to convert, it appears with no files.  I did, however, drag them from the source folder into the Status Window.

Is this the correct course of action?  Or simply a good "work around" for now.

THX, Preston

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Please post your mcebuddy.log file. I don't think I understand the issue. You are able to mp and access the drive but mcebuddy is not able to scan files from the drive but can process manually added files?

Coordinator
Nov 27, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Okay I've tried to replicate the issue, was not able to but ran into a quirk which may explain what's happening with you. Windows is VERY FINICKY. You cannot MAP the same COMPUTER 2 times with different logins.

so if you've connected to the remote computer using Windows Explorer or the Run command, then you've already logged in with your own credentials. If MCEBuddy now tries to connect with your supplied credentials it will FAIL since Windows will reject it.

So when you drag and drop the files, you're doing it with you OWN already mapped credentials and it works fine, when MCEBuddy tries to scan the directory with the configured credentials it fails (check your MCEBuddy.log).

The answer to this is simple:

1. Either use your own credentials and MAP the remote computer folder using Windows explorer and DO NOT enter any credentials in the Monitor Task or Conversion task pages for that remote computer. In this case MCEBuddy will use the Windows Explorer credentials.

2. DO NOT map or connect to the remote computer, instead enter the credentials in the MCEBuddy Monitor Task and Conversion Task page and let MCEBuddy connect to the remote computer.

Remember you CANNOT do both above, otherwise MCEBuddy will not be able to access the remote computer.

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2013 at 3:47 AM
One more point to note, since MCEBuddy runs under Local System account it does NOT authenticate with a network share.

so to use Network Shares in MCEBuddy you MUST do 1 of 2 things in either/both monitor tasks credential AND/OR conversion tasks credentials:
  1. If the remote share is password protected, then enter the username and password in the credentials page
  2. If the remote share is not password protected (ie. available to Everyone), you MUST enter Guest in the username and leave the password blank. If you don't enter Guest it will NOT authenticate with the remote server and the access will fail.
Aug 6, 2013 at 3:48 AM
AUTO-REPLY This is an 'Auto-Reply' Please note the CHANGE OF ADDRESS: p [at] prestonbircher [dot] com This account will CLOSE on May 21, 2013. Thank you, Preston