This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Bug in writing metadata ( Short desc vs Long desc )

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Hello Rboy,

MCEBuddy seems to be writing description into Short description tag even if description provided by MCE7 is longer than 250 characters (maximum for Short description tag).

Ideally, if description provided by MCE7 is longer than 250 characters, MCEBuddy should be writing into Long Description tag field.

Difference between the two fields is :

Atom "desc" contains: Description (250 characters)
--description  (string)     Set the description tag 

Atom "ldes" contains: Long Description (5000 characters)
--longdesc     (string)     Set the long description tag

I just noticed this, as all Sports (mostly Formula 1 in my case) recordings were getting its summary cut off.

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2012 at 1:11 AM

good point, the question is that should the short description be also set along with the long description - i.e. should both be set or either one.

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2012 at 3:06 AM

done you'll see it in 2.3.7

both short and long descriptions are set now.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Edited Nov 6, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Thanks. Even though i'm still using 2.3.5 i've used Custom Commands feature with the same atomicParsley parameters as yours except using --longdesc instead of --description and it works fine. I'll test 2.3.8

However I've run into the issue with different metadata. Is it possible, in case %episodename% = Nothing populate it with %showname%  ??? 

reason I ask is that iTunes likes to sort by episode name, but if episode name is missing ( for kids shows like The Smurfs, Postman Pat etc ..  in the UK, episode name is NOT provided ) I get alot of unknown episodes. Would be great to able to tell that it belongs to Smurfs series etc ...

Do you think this is feasable ? - I dont think this can have negative result as replacing nothing with something should not cause anyone any problems.

Kind regards,
-vladimir 

Coordinator
Nov 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I think you're better off writing a custom command to do that. This would technically be a workaround / hack which may be appreciated by other users.

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I would but I dont know how. I mean what parameter to pass to atomicParsley ?

As conversion is all automated i dont think its possible for me to do this.

1, You're populating %showname% with title and %episodename% with episode title no matter if its blank or not.

2, In case %episodename% is provided by MCE7, then all is fine and MCEBuddy will set my episode title to this.

3, in case %episodename% is NOT provided, then episode title will be blank. 

4, If I do  --TVEpisode %showname% then I will never get episode title ( even if it is provided as in no.2 )

so my suggestion was for MCEBuddy to populate %episodename% with %showname% if %episodename% = nothing ( if this makes sense )

I guess its special case use, though.
thanks !!!

Kind regards,
-vladimir 

Coordinator
Nov 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM

You do it pretty easily by writing a windows batch script and with some variables.

You can put the custom command something like

Full Path\xyz.bat %episodename% %showname% ...

In the batch script you can refer to the parameters as %1 %2 etc and then compare the values and make decisions on how to build you atomic parsley command to execute.

You may want to read up on how to write batch scripts or search the forum. I think one of the users had written a bath script to do something like this.

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I've never really used WIndows ( MCE7 is my first Windows PC in over a decade ) but I'm used to shell scripts and perl. 

I'll try to dig up the post about the batch script, no need to reinvent the wheel :-)

Thanks again.

Coordinator
Nov 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM

when ur done you may want to post it back here for others benefit or on a new thread