Remux to MKV or MP4

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM

It is my understanding that right now the only profile that does not compress or convert my recorded files is the AVI high quality profile.  Is it possible to make a profile to convert them to MKV or Mp4 instead?  I like the idea of remux instead of convert I just don't use AVI for many of my saved files. 

Also, if I have the donator version of comskip can I just replace the files under mcebuddy comskip with the newer version?  Thanks! 

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2012 at 7:54 AM

@Comskip - yes, 2.3.8 supports donators version also.

Currently TS and AVI are processed without transcoding, only remuxing. They can be converted to MKV also, see how other profiles are setup and expriment with them, you can try to remux to MKV or even change the FFMPEG profile ext to .mkv and see how it pans out.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Edited Nov 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

For some reason I cannot play the transcoded AVI files in Windows Media Center.  I can play the AVI files through VLC and I'm pretty sure they will play ok on my WDTV live but they aren't playing on my W7 Media Center. Any thoughts on why?  Thanks!

Update:  I reinstalled codecs and things seem good now!  This is working great so far.  Thanks!

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM

That's true avi isn't a very good format and windowshas trouble playing mpeg2 and ac3 in avi. When mcebuddy installs it also asks to install ffdshow codes and configures mpeg2 in avi or you can enable that manually by opening the ffdshow video decoder configuration from the start menu.

I am thinking if removing the avi profiles for this reason from future releases.

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM
you can use the donator version in the latest MCEBuddy BETA release 0202013 or later. It will speed up the process as well as support the AllowH264CopyRemuxing with Comskip to remove commercials :)
Mar 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Edited Mar 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM
delete this please