This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

.wmv output not standard?

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Hello,

I used MCEBuddy to convert .wtv to .wmv. MCEBuddy was using the mencoder profile. I converted two files: one using the addition  -vf scale=1280:720 to the profile and another without the addition. Both files play well on my videos app and in PressPlay:video app in Windows 8. But when I ask a friend to play them in Windows RT he says the videos app returns the message that the file is not supported.
Now I converted them to .mp4 as well and I am still waiting for the test results of those files.

My question: In all online documentation I can find on Windows RT and the Nvidia Tegra 3 processor that it uses I see that .wmv and .mp4 files are supported. How come these files don't run? Is the .wmv output from MCEBuddy different from standard .wmv? I would expect .wmv = .wmv...right?
If the .mp4 isn't working either, would it make a difference to try ffmpeg instead of mencoder to convert the files? I would expect the .wmv output format of ffmpeg is the same as the .wmv output format of mencoder. Or can that differ?

Thanks!

Rudi

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2012 at 6:09 AM

It shouldn't make any difference but you can try it and post the results.

MCEBuddy encodes to WMV v2, WMV comes in different flavors, v1, v2, v3. Am not sure which version is comptaible with RT. Again I'm curious to see the results of ffmpeg vs mencoder.

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2012 at 6:09 AM
Edited Dec 7, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Also is he able to play any other WMV files? Also is he able to play WMV files with another resolution? Maybe the resolution and form factor is not supported on this tablet.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM

I wasn't aware of different wmv flavors.

Testing is really slow, because MCEBuddy has a LOT of options (which is a good thing in itself) and I don't have the Windows RT device myself. I can only wait until my friend has time for another test. That combined with the fact that I don't know anyone living close to me with a Windows RT tablet makes it a lengthy matter.

I am testing this, because I am still deciding whether or not to buy a Windows RT tablet. But I am pretty confident there MUST be some format that MCEBuddy can create of a .wtv file that IS supported by Windows RT.

As soon as I know more, I'll let you know!