NEED USERS SUPPORT for MCEBuddy DEVELOPMENT - Vote for this feature

Coordinator
Dec 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Edited Apr 30 at 8:50 PM
Folks,

We need YOUR HELP to improve this support website for MCEBuddy. There are some FUNDAMENTAL ISSUES that need to be fixed and need your vote for it and other that are nice to have to keep the forums easy to use and functional.

FUNDAMENTAL ISSUES THAT NEED YOUR SUPPORT

NICE TO HAVE FEATURES
VOTE for these issues with the CodePlex website which will enhance the experience you have on this forum, takes a second: (take you picks!).

Click on the links next to the issue and click on Vote.
  1. ATTACHING LOG FILES TO DISCUSSIONS - http://codeplex.codeplex.com/workitem/26583

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/1/2014 at 7:03 AM
Feb 22, 2013 at 8:22 AM
I voted for both, although the only problem I have with the editor is it pings me to the top of the page each time I click to use a function like bold or inserting picture for example.

You may want to make the post above a bit clearer though, to me for a while it didn't make sense until i clicked on the links! :)
Apr 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I just used your program and love it! Awesome job! :) Using win7 64bit and works flawlessly for wtv to wtv and remove commercials.... an in the background so I can still do other things without an issue. Very impressive. I wish I had money to donate. When I do, be sure you'll get a reward from me! ;) I love it when things just work.

Update: I wrote the praise for how the program was processing my files... when I went to play it, I got an error of unsupported codec... opened in windows live movie maker and is says it's only 7 minutes long? I used wtv to wtv and remove commercials. Failed on both a wtv and a dvr-ms file. Audio only is playing in windows media player.

With regard to the issue ffmpeg, I was reading that you want the developer to fix something that he doesn't seem to think is broken. I tried another program before finding mcebuddy and it simply got rid of the preview pics, but then all the files just had a blank pic box by the title. The program was WTVconverter and not fully compatable with win7 so slowed system down to a crawl. Also, the xmp files used to tag processed dvr-ms files were being found by my photo editing software and causing a mess, and lots of disc actitivity that put my system in a slow grind... with me heading to taskmgr to kill it, and remove it from my system (well it was Lifextender to remove commercials). My point is, mcebuddy is great, and I wanted to suggest that instead of looking for a single command string combo for ffmpeg to handle how attachments are now video streams, why not write something that evaluates the wtv file's as one that will process properly, and one that will not. Once you have this working, you can work on developing a strategy of how the program should proceed... it may be to ignore or strip the offensive component before fully converting, and the re-introduce the component ontop of the A/V file afterward?
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM
thanks for your thoughts. I've already put a workaround for MCEBuddy work with the new version of ffmpeg compensating for the attachment issue, was very paintful but it's working now.

However as always the newer version of ffmpeg have broken more things than fixes hence I didn't no upgrade it, I've opened a few new tickets to resolve some conversion bugs with TS files (which didn't exist before). Users are free to upgrade to the newer versions if it will help fix their own issues, MCEBuddy will support it.

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM
BTW I'VE GIVEN UP ON THE FFMPEG TEAM. IF YOU'RE REALLY INTERESTED GO OUT THERE AND GET THEM TO STAND UP FOR THEIR BROKEN SOFTWARE AND FIX IT.
HERE'S THE LATEST RESPONSE FROM THEM ON TRYING TO FIX NEW BUGS:

https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2433#comment:9
Apr 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Edited Apr 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Hey rboy1, Thank you for the reply ;) [edit; got the wrong ticket mixed up with this one] I noticed you are using an FFmpeg version that is not noted as a stable release version, if I’m reading things correctly from the dump file you posted in the link at the beginning of this thread? It could be anyway, I just can't figure out where these versions are from...

I was wondering if you are able to use the dev build for windows using dll files and such in place of the source?
Like from this site? http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Dev packages provide the headers and .lib/.dll.a files required to use the .dll files in other programs.
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I use the precompiled version, unfortunately I don't hardware / resources to build ffmpeg
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM
BTW release versions are not always teh most stable version you need test it every few days to find the most stable version. The one I had right now is the most stable one I have tested.
Apr 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM
the ffmpeg team are difficult to deal with I admit. Where do you stand with the "patch" that Michael says should get ffmpeg to identify mjpeg as an attachment again?

Take a look here, perhaps you can merge the patch into a pre-compiled version, its beyond my knowledge, but it may help?
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I've requested someone from ffmpeg dev team to build me a complied version with the patch, don't have the resources to compile ffmpeg.
Apr 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Folks, I'm pretty much lost in all this technical Jargon, and I'm happy to vote, as I have already on a few of these bug reports with FFmpeg, but as far as what's actually going on, and so I'm clear on the issue (or one of the issues), I can convert videos just fine using the unprocessed profiles on the other sticky, I've tried MKV, TS, and I've also used videoredo to both remux to MKV, TS, and then recode to MKV and TS H264, while I can play the videos just fine in MCE, none of the files allow you to seek/fast forward, I can do the 30 sec skip preset.

So is this related to the ffmpeg problem? And is ffmpeg used by commercial software makers as well, like videoredo since I'm having the same issue. Or is this just a problem on my end?
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM
yes it's ffmpeg related. some commercial software also use ffmpeg.

What issue are you facing - seeking? if so you need to vote for that ticket separately here:

https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2078
Apr 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Thanks for confirming, and I did vote on that one back in January as it turns out I'm scratching my head on the lack of a solution at this point, while I understand that wtv is a proprietary format, but between the dvrms and wtv, these formats have been out for at least 6 years (vista, and I believe wtv come out in a playpack on vista in 2008, and then on win7), and yet we still don't have a perfect solution.

Thanks for your continued support to get these issues resolved.
Feb 1 at 1:31 PM
I downloaded the source via the hyper-linked mcebuddy2x-35814.zip file. Installed VS2010. Applied the VS SP1. Searched the unzipped MCEBuddy source folders for the .sln file, opened it, set the build configuration to x64 release build. Attempted a build. 2 component build targets succeeded and 24 failed.

The first trouble was this one: error MSB3325: Cannot import the following key file: MCEBuddy2-HP.pfx. The key file may be password protected.

When I do a search among the source folders for that file, I get a list of a whole bunch of these, each in a separate sub folder. I checked the Windows Explorer file properties of one such file and the information there indicated I had full permissions and that I was the file's owner.

Q. Are there any steps or prerequisite tools or configuration items missing in your guide to developers for building the code on a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 that is not connected to the internet, but having various versions of the .NET framework installed and updated to early January 2014 levels?

When I copy and pasted the resulting build / compiler diagnostic messages into NotePad and saved them to builderrors.txt the file was 82 kbytes and 799 lines in size.

I had been using MCEBuddy 2.3 release 13 x64, but was having troubles with 4 hour long .mts mpeg-2 Dolby 5.1 AC3 1920x1080i files. There was no newer link to download release 14 in x64 to try it, so I thought that I could build a new version from the latest source code, trace the troubles and determine the remedy?

I had dragged and dropped a group of these 1080i HD files into the MCEBuddy client user interface window and the files were in the queue for quite a while. I went to bed, came back and the queue was empty, but no resulting output files were available.

I could not determine what happened during the processing by examining the MS Windows Application's log in the Event Viewer, and used Windows to search for MCEBuddy*.log off of the start menu, but it found nothing.

Also I had tried Comskip and it was working nicely on 720x480 SD .ts mpeg-2 files, but when processing HD, it didn't find any commercials to cut out and kept practically the entire video, so this time I repeatedly adjusted the MCEBuddy advanced settings (until they saved properly) so that the pixel dimensions max for the width were 720, mp4 conversion speed set to high, quality set to 90%, remove original files=yes.

My reasons for removal of the original files: The original files for each of the 4 hour capture files were 33,565,780,800 bytes in size. Two of those plus two 2 hour files plus one 2.5 hour files added up to a large amount of daily recordings that need to be down sized via processing to permit further shows to record.

The MCEBuddy client software should never reject configuration setting updates from the user so that the user must re-enter them 10+ times before they get saved. If this is an artificial barrier that was manifested by using some other organization's settings API, that choice has to be abandoned for practical, operational reasons.

Some mechanism should be invented to queue the settings updates if they are not accepted right away, instead, the client software, itself, wipes out all of the user-meticulously entered update information by closing up the open dialog screens instead of offering to retry saving (or whatever--automated retry for "30 minutes" or 48 hours or whatever until settings are accepted).

I tried at one point to extract video file closed captioning via check box, but this produced empty text files per each .mp4 file conversion. It seems that 2 English text streams are labeled in the source video files but the text data is interleaved into the one video stream. When closed captions are played back on the source OTA PVR, a Mediasonic Homeworx HW150pvr ATSC HD converter box, the closed captions come out fine.
Mar 5 at 1:58 AM
I get the same error as oldspammer about MCEBuddy2-HP.pfx
Mar 21 at 12:03 PM
MCE Buddy 2.3.15 is the best version ever what about adding a video Editor to trim and crop Videos that are converted comskip does a wonderful job I know but them times when you want to crop or cut a scene or join to videos together would be a good addition to an already perfect software program.
Mar 29 at 12:37 AM
I voted for the first one - voting is closed for the second one.
Coordinator
Mar 29 at 9:40 AM
PaulHanson47 wrote:
MCE Buddy 2.3.15 is the best version ever what about adding a video Editor to trim and crop Videos that are converted comskip does a wonderful job I know but them times when you want to crop or cut a scene or join to videos together would be a good addition to an already perfect software program.
Please feel free to open a Feature issue request for any new features/functionality you think will improve MCEBuddy and we'll look into it.
Apr 29 at 8:29 PM
Edited Apr 29 at 8:30 PM
How about a way for MCEBuddy to use a USB-FPGA, e.g. zTex 1.15x, to transcode. I've retired mine from bitcoin mining and would like to put it to use.

soyrunner