This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MCEBuddy before and after

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:00 AM

I do not wish to sound negative about MCEBuddy but I feel I must give my feedback about what I see. I have been using MCEBuddy since January 2010. Back in 2010 MCEBuddy converted files more quickly than the current 2012 new versions. Back then MCEBuddy would just run two sequences and a 1 hour HDTV recording would take about 1.5 hours to convert on my old dual core processor computer. Now, with a more powerful computer which has a quad core processor it takes about 2.5 to 3.5 hours to convert a 1 hour HDTV recording. Also there are about 3-4 sequences which run in new versions. Pass 2 takes the longest. Pros of new versions are good settings and options. Cons is that it has become extremely slower than versions from three years ago. If I am doing something wrong which is making my file conversions take longer, please advice.

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2013 at 4:44 AM

I've made this comment before:

There is significant difference in the quality and choices. High Quality profiles are better in quality but take more time to finish. I would suggest you use the Normal or Fast profiles, they are good quality recordings and pretty fast too.

what profile are you using?

As a last option you use the old profiles and migrate them to the latest version, if you post the profile here I can help you translate it to he newer versions.

One thing is for sure, apples to apples (same profile) - the newer versions are 30% faster than the older versions of MCEBuddy - again the key is to keep the profile the same.

Old MCEBuddy did not do very well with HD video, which is primarily for hte 2 pass conversions. for SD video I would stick with Fast or Normal. Post your profile or convert to it the newer versions and see the speed difference.

Finally keep in mind, the older version was not as reslient and supported as many formats the newer version. Hope this answers all your questions.

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:07 AM

I am sorry you had to re-write a response for the same topic. I should have searched older discussions before posting a new question. I thought since the forum has moved from sourceforge to codeplex, old discussions may not be here.

I am using (and always used) High Quality MP4. Yes you are correct. Old MCEBuddy did not do very well with HD videos. I used to notice that if there was any slight problem with the recorded file, the old versions were unable to convert them. I had to keep an eye on the log files to look for errors.

I do not have old profiles as I had to change computers over time. I am currently trying out Normal Quality MP4 to compare the amount of time to convert.

I didn't understand one thing. If one pass has become two passes for High Quality HD conversions, how did it become 30% faster? Does this mean that the two passes cumulatively run faster than the older one pass?

I have another question but its about another subject so i will post a new thread for it.

I appreciate your super fast response.

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Like to like profiles are 30% faster - dont compare the names, compare the contents.