Remove Commercials Only - Windows 8 x64 - Missing Codecs?

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I am interested in removing commercials only and keeping files in WTV format.  I have a single conversion task set up to use WTV uncompressed.  On Windows 8 x64 it results in an unplayable file. Media Center gives a codec error.  If I run the same process on a Windows 7 x64 computer it works fine.  During the install on the Win 8 box I was prompted to install Hali and FFDShow even though I can play MKV fine using Shark007 codecs.  Any idea what is preventing me from removing commercials in Windows 8 or why it thinks I can't play MKV?  Thanks in advance for any insights.

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM

am wondering if the shark codecs are interfering with the Win 8 playback. Unfortunatley I don't have a Win8 to computer it on.

I can only request another user with Win 8 to use the WTV profile and see if it works.

Also, do you have the same results with the WTV profiles? (not hte unprocessed)

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:08 AM

I removed the shark codecs and still got the same error.  I also got the same error using the other wtv profile but it of course took much l ok nger to process.  I shiuld also note that I have the shark codecs on my windows 7 box where I didnt have the problem.

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Can anyone else confirm if the WTV files created by MCEBuddy don't play on Win8?

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I am having the same trouble. WTV unprocessed on a 64bit win8 pro machine.

I am trying WTV processed program now.

Also archive does not work.

Using the latest beta 2.3.12 64bit

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I will need a log file to see the issue including the archive problem. I just tested it and it's working, might be a permission isssue

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM
<div dir="ltr">here is log file <div>thank you very much for your help<br clear="all"> <div><br> </div> -- <br> Jack Duffy<br> <br> </div> </div>
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM
no log file..
Jan 31, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM
<div dir="ltr"><br> </div> <div><br>
<br>
<div>On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 8:58 PM, rboy1 <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:notifications@codeplex.com" target="_blank">notifications@codeplex.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br> <blockquote style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex; border-left:1px #ccc solid; padding-left:1ex"> <div> <p>From: rboy1</p> <div>no log file..</div> <div> <div> <p>Read the <a href="http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/430738#post994465" target="_blank"> full discussion online</a>.</p> <p>To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (<a href="mailto:mcebuddy2x@discussions.codeplex.com?subject=[mcebuddy2x:430738]" target="_blank">mcebuddy2x@discussions.codeplex.com</a>)</p> <p>To start a new discussion for this project, email <a href="mailto:mcebuddy2x@discussions.codeplex.com" target="_blank"> mcebuddy2x@discussions.codeplex.com</a></p> <p>You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can <a href="https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/430738/unsubscribe/" target="_blank"> unsubscribe</a> on CodePlex.com.</p> <p>Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com</p> </div> </div> </div> </blockquote> </div> <br>
<br clear="all">
<div><br> </div> -- <br>
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2013 at 1:42 AM
I think you should post your link on the website directly, I can't see anything here.
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Edited Feb 14, 2013 at 3:16 AM
__Okay so folks who are having issues with playing back MCEBuddy created WTV files on 64 bit Windows (7 and 8). Thanks for Mark for this answer:

Open FFDShow 64bit Video Configuration from the Start Menu -> ffdshow (assuming you let MCEBuddy install FFDSHOW). Under MPEG-2 and MPEG2 in AVI set it codec to libavcodec.

It should solve your problem. (maybe a reboot is required).__
Feb 14, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Hi - has there been any progress on this issue? I have Win 8 x64 and experiencing the same problem with WTV uncompressed. I've tried playing the file in Plex, WMC and Jriver Media Center. Plex gives me an error (file not found or something to that effect), WMC complains that codec isn't installed, and JRMC plays the audio of the file, but no video. In fact, it acts like its just an audio file (ie, doesn't launch the video screen that normally accompanies video files).

Thanks!
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2013 at 3:16 AM
I thought I just posted the solution above for WMC - I hope you've read it.
Feb 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM
I found these settings under Start menu -> ffdshow x64 -> Video decoder configuration x64 and in my case the only decoder set for all formats was libavcodec.
Feb 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Those who have fixed this issue, or have it working on windows 7 (as far as removing commercials and leaving it in WTV format), is the resulting video fully playable? Does the fast forward and rewind fully work on playback?
Feb 16, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I have Win 8 x64 and have the same issue that is described, but I didn't have the settings in FFDShow... under codecs was only listed MPEG2 and MPEG in AVI (I didn't have an MPEG-2 or MPEG2 in AVI option). Both my MPEG2 and MPEG in AVI were already listed as using the libavcodec.

Any other thoughts?
Coordinator
Feb 18, 2013 at 2:43 AM
It's working perfectly on a stock build of Windows 7 64bit with only FFDShow (MCEBuddy default install). If you have other codecs/software with codecs installed it may mess it up. On a stock build with FfDShow I've tested it working with MCE and WMP.
Feb 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Admittedly this isn't a "stock" build of Windows 8 x64 (i've been installing/uninstalling codecs to get them to work), but I can't get uncompressed WTV to work, even trying the above fix. Trying the normal (i guess compressed) WTV worked just fine.

I was using SAF6, but i uninstalled it before installing MCEbuddy. Any thoughts?
Feb 18, 2013 at 11:45 PM
OK so now I've gotten it to work in Windows Media Player but NOT Windows Media Player or VLC.
Feb 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM
I REALLY hate to beat a dead horse, but the above solution does NOT work on a clean install of Win8 x64 Pro. When I try to open the unprocessed file in Windows Media Center, WMC crashes.
Feb 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I have it working on Windows 8 64 bit using the WTV processed file with comskip ad removal. It took awhile but it works great now. I have tried unprocessed WTV and windows media center crashes.
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Can you post your working profile
Feb 22, 2013 at 2:36 AM
I think he's saying the unprocessed works, which is true for me too. The problem seems to be the video. When I change in the profile.config for Unprocessed WTV "order=copy,ffmpeg" to just "order=ffmpeg" it works just fine. It does some encoding and has deinterlace problems, but it plays.
Feb 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM
I'm having similar problems with TS files recorded using ArgusTV from HDHR tuners using ATSC. My Hauppauge Colossus files in ts containers work perfectly. The difference seems to be that the Colossus files start off in h.264 format and the HDHR files start off in mpg2 format. I can get the "bad" files to work using GraphStudio and building a graph, but MPC-HC plays them without Audio, VLC won't play them at all, WMP crashes with codec errors, and XBMC plays them with major stuttering.
Coordinator
Feb 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM
I did not get your point
Feb 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM
I had several points actually.
  1. It is not just the WTV container that is the issue.
  2. Maybe the issue is related to MPEG2 specifically
  3. The files I have with these problems are playable if you force the right filters, but something that handles almost everything that is thrown at it like VLC doesn't seem to handle them by default.
  4. The issue may also be interfering with the audio. By the way the stuttering in XBMC can be caused by difficulty playing audio so that may be all that is wrong in XBMC.
Coordinator
Feb 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM
What would be interesting to know is what combinations of the above work
Feb 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Would it be possible to just have MCEBuddy run comskip? I mean, is it necessary for there to be any remuxing or anything like that?
Feb 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Aren't there other ways to just run comskip? The only thing I'm trying to accomplish with it is actually removing the files from ts files. I'm experimenting now with actually transcoding into mkv files, but that is only for troubleshooting this particular issue.
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM
gewbert wrote:
Would it be possible to just have MCEBuddy run comskip? I mean, is it necessary for there to be any remuxing or anything like that?
Comskip and many programs don't work on WTV hence the remuxing is a necessary "evil". Again guys, MCEBuddy is not perfect but I've designed it to be very flexible, if it isn't working out of the box, spend some time to see how it works and play with it, create custom profiles, custom remuxing parameters etc. You'll find something that works for you.
Feb 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM
rboy1 wrote:
gewbert wrote:
Comskip and many programs don't work on WTV hence the remuxing is a necessary "evil". Again guys, MCEBuddy is not perfect but I've designed it to be very flexible, if it isn't working out of the box, spend some time to see how it works and play with it, create custom profiles, custom remuxing parameters etc. You'll find something that works for you.
I have the donator version of Comskip, and it does work on WTV files. Can I swap out the version MCEBuddy uses and have it not remux? If so, would I just replace the files in "C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\comskip"?

While I know there are other alternatives, I really like the interface of MCEBuddy and would like to use it if possible. And I completely understand being flexible, I'm a tweaker and can never leave well enough alone :-). I appreciate all you do!
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2013 at 3:56 AM
gewbert wrote:
rboy1 wrote:
gewbert wrote:
I have the donator version of Comskip, and it does work on WTV files. Can I swap out the version MCEBuddy uses and have it not remux? If so, would I just replace the files in "C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\comskip"?

While I know there are other alternatives, I really like the interface of MCEBuddy and would like to use it if possible. And I completely understand being flexible, I'm a tweaker and can never leave well enough alone :-). I appreciate all you do!
Heh heh - I know the feeling of the tweaker which is why MCEBuddy is still alive :)
However, I'm sad to say it isn't feasable with the current architecture since many other programs in between like ccextractor, avidemux, mencoder etc don't support WTV, so the evil remux is necessary.

However like I said it's a remux and not a recode (in most situations), you can use the donator version of Comskip to remux H264 WTV directly into H264 TS and work on that. So that's a tweak you can use to squeeze a little more without losing time/quailty. Refer to the discussion on H264 WTV for more details.
Feb 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Darn. Oh well, thanks for all the help! Maybe this will be one of those bugs that will just go away with time! Thanks for all the help!!!
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2013 at 2:23 AM
here's the solution thanks for DjJustin

Uninstall Windows Update KB2670838 if the resulting WTV file does not play in MCE/WMP
Aug 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Doesn't appear to work on Win8 because I can't find the update installed on my machine.
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Probably because win8 has the update as part I'd the build. I've logged a bug with ffmpeg you can vote for it to be fixed.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM
What's the link? And I agree, I think I saw somewhere when I did 30 seconds of research the patch was related to IE10, which is default on Win8.
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Sorry I remember reading it but don't recall the details. Search for KB mention in my earliest post, see the details and if you can backtrace it post it back here for everyone else also.

I remember it was a foundation requirement for the IE8 installation (i.e preinstallation).

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM
This is the bug to vote up?

http://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/2835
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM
yes

Coordinator
Dec 24, 2013 at 2:25 AM
FYI update, for those facing this issue, the FFMPEG team has done an awesome job of fixing this and providing support for the latest WTV format. You can download the latest ffmpeg build from ffmpeg.org and replace it in your mcebuddy installation and it should work.

Alternatively wait for the next build of mcebuddy.
Coordinator
Jan 29 at 8:00 AM
This has now been fixed in the latest version of MCEBuddy starting 2.3.15
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 1:00 AM
Feb 12 at 10:59 AM
Thank you for a great product
Would you please look at the the attached files to check that I have everything setup
correctly?
I was also curious about quicksync

Thank you very much

Jack Duffy
Cycle Services
100 Ridgewood Ave
Hyannis MA 02601
508-771-1414
[email removed]

Coordinator
Feb 12 at 1:36 PM
What is the issue you are facing? I don't see any links to files.

Feb 12 at 2:01 PM
no issue, just want to be sure I have everything set up correctly
thanks

Jack Duffy
Cycle Services
100 Ridgewood Ave
Hyannis MA 02601
508-771-1414
[email removed]

Coordinator
Feb 12 at 2:12 PM
Are you sure you've posted to the right forum/discussion thread?
Feb 12 at 2:15 PM
I sent a dropbox link for 2 different files

thank you

Jack Duffy
Cycle Services
100 Ridgewood Ave
Hyannis MA 02601
508-771-1414
[email removed]

Coordinator
Feb 12 at 2:29 PM
Couple of points:
1. You're posting on the forum (with your contact details in your signature) when you reply to this message (it's not a PM)
2. Your messages are coming partly garbled
3. There are no links in your messages

I would suggest try posting directly on the forum rather than replying via eMail, it doesn't seem to be working from your current mail account.

Feb 25 at 11:29 AM
It figures I find a related post after I already created a new thread. (search didn't find this)

Should WTV be the fastest profile? I only want to remove commercials not convert to MP4
https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/535282

Is Convert to WTV the fastest profile? (Windows 8.1 x64)

I only want to remove commercials not convert to MP4

I was expecting each show to only take a few minutes on an i7 machine.
(but it's more like 20 minutes a per show, is that normal?)

I've used VideoReDo TV Suite in the past, and manually editing a video was lightning fast when it came time to converting it to a new file of the same type. (.WTV to .WTV) I've read they have commercial detection but I've never used it. I'm just bring up VideoReDo to compair how efficient it is when no actual converting is done sticking with .WTV

Should I try .TS instead? I just donated and I'm excited to get this all working especially now that I'm using XBMC PVR ServerWMC

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=ServerWMC
http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=205
Coordinator
Feb 25 at 12:59 PM
TS Unprocessed is the fastest profile. One way to speed up the conversion is to use the donator version of Comskip it works faster on HD and h264 videos.
Feb 25 at 11:36 PM
Edited Feb 25 at 11:54 PM
rboy1 wrote:
TS Unprocessed is the fastest profile. One way to speed up the conversion is to use the donator version of Comskip it works faster on HD and h264 videos.
Thanks posted some screen shots of what I'm trying first. (let me know if I missed anything) I donated and I have the new Feb 2014 beta 15 installed.

So I'm looking at the new Convert to TS profile. Where is the "Unprocessed" setting? The closest thing I see to that would be "Skip remuxing files" under Expert Settings (should I check that to make files "Unprocessed"? It warns about comskip not working though which defeats the whole purpose of using MCEbuddy. What about "Skip copying originals" that sounds like it would speed up time as well.

On the main Task page if unchecked Rename and sort since all I want it to do is removed commercials and leave the file name as close to the orignal as possible. Will Windows Media Center still obey the maximum number of shows it should keep? For example if I have Media Center set to only keep a maximum of 5 original Conan epsisodes, will Media Center still delete the TS files as they grow past the maximum 5? I'm trying to confirm how MCEbuddy will keep my hard drive from becoming full if no automatic upkeep is happening.

EDIT: I just found the WTV (Unprocessed) and TS (Unprocessed)
https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/437842
Wouldn't WTV be ideal so MCE deletes old shows? (or will it for TS as well?)

It seems like Skip copying original files would speed things up, safe enough?
Coordinator
Feb 26 at 12:10 AM
please don't cross post questions unless they are relevant.

TS Unprocessed is an profile available at the bottom of the list with other unprocessed profiles (if you're using the stock profiles.conf)

Copying the original happens only when the source file is a TS file, all other files are remuxed into TS files. You can skip remuxing also, but many features like closed caption extraction etc may not work since they only work on TS files.