XBMC fails to play .WTV files that have been processed by MCE buddy

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM
I'm using the WTV unprocessed profile to strip commercials and rename files. No reencoding is being done. After this is done the files won't play in XBMC but they will play in WMC (without fast forward or rewind capability). Is this happening to anyone else?
Jan 25, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Yes this has been identified as an issue.

We are waiting for the next stable BETA release with a fix.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Is it a problem with all files that MCEBuddy touches or just the .WTV unprocessed profile?  Can I pick a different profile to encode the file to a different format or pick a different wrapper so that XBMC will play the file?

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM

XBMC needs an update to play WTV files. This has been reported to XBMC to update their internal version of FFMPEG

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I may try a different profile to remux in a different container to see if that fixes the issue with XBMC for now.  Thanks for tracking this down.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:06 PM
don`t know if this thread is closed, but I'm also using the WTV unprocessed profile to strip commercials and rename files sending these files to a folder that XBMC monitors. I've been doing this for a few days and so far all converted files have been able to be viewed on XBMC. I'm using the latest stable build of mcebuddy (2.3.11) and the latest stable build for XBMC (Frodo ver 12.0).
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Hey groundglass,

I've used both the 2.3.11 release and the 2.3.12 beta and I can confirm the issue is still present. It's not uniform. About 50% of my files play in XBMC.
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:08 PM
The issue is that XBMC is using an outdated version of FFMPEG
Feb 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Lsujonno, interesting. So to confirm you are using XBMC 12? The tv shows that fail are they copy protected wtv files? I'll keep an eye out this week for new recordings to see if they fail.
Feb 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM
This happened on both Frodo RC3 and and the official Frodo release.

I'm on comcast using an HDHR Prime cable card tuner and all of my channels are flagged copy freely.

I haven't found a pattern to what works and what doesn't but I haven't tried either.

XBMC only updates their version of FFMPEG once per version number. They do this because it takes them about a month to work out all of the bugs when they revise their FFMPEG version. So the version of FFMPEG that is in XBMC Frodo today was likely merged into the main branch a year ago.
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM
:)) so you see what I have go through for each release when I update ffmpeg. Anyways the WTV bugfixes were done in a Dec release of ffmpeg. That's what they need to get to see it work properly.
Feb 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Thanks for the info lsujonno!

Last night my conversion of The Walking Dead failed to play on XBMC :(

So any thoughts on a work around? For me, I'm not trying to save HD space,
my goal is speed in the conversion and removal of commercials.

I'm now going to try to remux H264 WTV to MKV following rboy1's notes
with 2.3.12 beta and donator version of ComSkip. Have you guys tried this
with XBMC as the front end viewer?

thanks
Feb 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Rboy1 - Any news about the bug where you can't Fast Forward or Rewind? I'm still not able to Fast Forward or Rewind after using MCE Buddy to form a WTV file.

Groundglass - I was going to experiment with other containers to see if this fixed the issue, but I like having my recorded TV show up in both Windows Media Center and XBMC. I still use WMC for live TV since the XBMC version is still buggy. That means I switch between XBMC and WMC a lot. So I like having recorded TV show up in both locations for the Wife Acceptance Factor...and WMC will only recognize the file as recorded TV if it is in a WTV container.

I watched the walking dead live, so I don't know if that works or not on my end. I know that SNL didn't play in XBMC, only WMC.
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Its pending with the ffmpeg team, you can vote for it to be fixed here.

https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/2078
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM
You can also use Media Browser plugin for WMC, which is GREAT for non WTV files
Feb 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I've used Media Browser in the past. I had a highly customized UI in WMC before, but I had so many little bugs that popped up here and there I went for a "keep it simple" approach to improve my WAF.

I've signed up at ffmpeg and voted already. Since it's the highest vote getting bug right now, I'm not sure if there is anymore we can do.