Remote Client - Engine Name

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Hi,

I am trying to connect to a remote server, but when I enter the hostname under "Engine Name" on my client, it just seems to restart, and the setting is lost. Is this a known issue?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2013 at 5:32 AM
MCEBuddy is based on a client server model, the client being the user application / GUI. The server being the engine (either on the local machine or remote machine).

When the GUI start it connect to the remote engine (localhost be default) by default and downloads the settings. So each engine/server has it's own settings. So depending on which engine/server your'e connecting to you will see different settings (as configured). Similiarly any changes made are sent to the server / remote engine. Nothing is saved locally.
Feb 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Hi,

Yes, this makes sense. The issue is that when I try to connect from the client to the server (which is not localhost, it's another machine of course) ... I enter the name of the server in the "Engine Name" box, then press OK ... and the program seems to restart, but the Engine Name is back to localhost (not the remote server).

Am I doing something stupid (likely)?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Ah okay, that's possibly because it's unable to write the name of the remote server into the temp file.

Are you using the Remote Client or the Full program?
Feb 1, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Remote client (on the client of course), and full program on the server.

Thanks.
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Okay then the issue is that remote client is nnot able to write the server name to the temp file in the config directory. I see the issue, will try to fix it in the next release.

For now, just open the zip file and extract the contents into a folder instead of installing it. Then run MCEBuddy.GUI from the folder and it should work.
Feb 2, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Sounds great, thanks.

I can manually write to the file for now - what is the format (e.g. localhost:23332)?
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2013 at 3:37 AM
In the section [engine]
RemoteServerName=hostname
RemoteServerPort=23332

Ideal would be just to extract the files from the zipfile into the folder and run it from there. It's just permission issues with the program files folder for the app not being able to write back to it. the functionality is working (same code base as the server)
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM
fixed
Feb 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Thanks!!!