New Feature thought ... assignment / linking of tasks to a monitored folder

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Hello all - and thanks for the continued work on MCEBuddy.

I had a thought that might be useful in a future version.
You have a Monitor Locations section and a Tasks section in the GUI.

It might be useful to be able to link Tasks to a specific Monitored Locations so you can create specific profiles for each. This may help for example if I know my Recorded TV directory has various shows I'm watching, I can then dump multiple files into a "SHOW" folder that has a Task with the thetvdb ID assigned solving many lookup problems. It would also allow you to define a given comskip.ini on a per folder basis which may also help on some comskip issues. I've read that comskip can hiccup depending on the logo position of a given network and this may help.
Feb 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Having all tasks evaluated for every location is my stand out limitation of MCE Buddy.

My preference would be the ability to specify a default task. This suggestion seems a move in this direction, the ability to better target a single task for execution vs. having an elaborate error prone selection process with inclusion and exclusion strings that need to be kept track of.
Feb 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I would offer up that if the feature is considered, a default profile should be also incorporated wherein if a monitored folder doesn't have an assigned task it has the default applied. @Lightman2 if I understand your comments correctly, this would cover your requirement.
Feb 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM
@Javamarket, yes it would.

Just for clarity, I was thinking that one task could be checked off as the default. During processing, it would be excluded, all matching tasks would be tested and applied just as they do today. Once the normal task processing was done, if no task had been executed, then the default task would be run, other wise not.
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM
@lightman2 what you're suggesting would require a major architecture rewrite at this point. Each task is added/run simultaneously to the conversion queue, waiting for ALL tasks to finish before running a default task would be very complex. Also how you differenciate between a failed task and a task where the name/metadata doesn't match - when do you run a default task?

@javamarket I'm trying to understand why you can't do what you want with the current implementation? Say you're dumping all Modern Family shows in a Modern Family folder. So in your conversion task put a file filter to convert only shows with Modern Family. Same outcome with less complexity right?
Feb 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
@rboy1 Thanks for the follow up. The answer is files are not always from broadcast recordings so filename filters aren't a viable method for filtering in this specific case. So my thought was if I know I'm downloading a particular series, I can assign the folder a thetvdb.id, put it into your Task config, then dump files into that folder irrespective of filename consistency as they become available. I agree that if filenames were of a consistent nature across sources your filter as it is now would work.
Feb 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM
...bit of additional explanation: If I can assign tasks to folders, when I need to do a bit of mixed management I think it becomes easy. Let's say I have some files I need to remove commercials from but not recode, some files I simply want to change containers from MP4 - MKV, and some files I need to remove commercials and recode, by having tasks assigned to folders I can move multiple files into their proper process queue based on folders without worrying about names. Perhaps I've missed it, but I don't think this can be done currently?
Feb 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM
It has to be me, I find this setup difficult to use, perhaps it is that I cannot get my head around why anyone would want to ever execute more than one task on any given file which might be why I had so much trouble understanding how selection worked when I first used MCEBuddy.

There has to be a reason or it wouldn't be setup this way but IMHO I would think most users are mostly interested in commercial skip, which involves a single conversion but there must be more diverse uses I am not imaginative enough to envision.

Thank you for your wonderful support.
Feb 17, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Guys, I think the whole MCEBuddy program was specifically invented for recorded TV. If you just have mp4 or avi's you want to convert to mkv, use another program like MergeMKV, it would take less than 1 minute an episode to remux and allows batch conversions.

Now for separate tasks, here is how I setup MCEBuddy, hope it helps. I have 4 Tasks setup (the main reason is because of comskip ini's), all of them are MKV High Quality (2-pass) . 1) HQ MKV, this is my default. All WMC recordings not in 2, 3, or 4 are written into the "File Name Match". It points to comskip.ini. 2) FX, (this one is actually a special version of MKV High Quality that I reordered for ffmpeg to run before MEncoder, since all FX shows seem to fail MEncoder conversions), again "File Name Match" has Archer*;Sunny;Justified*;League (all FX shows). It points to comskip_FX.ini. 3) ABC, "File Name Match" has Modern*; and a few other ABC shows. It points to comskip_ABC.ini (the main reason for this was the new comkip_ABC.ini. ABC likes to randomly not show their logo, so I had to do a lot of tweaking, especially to catch the last 30 seconds of Modern Family when they play a funny ending during the credits). and 4) USA, "File Name Match" has Burn* (for Burn Notice) and few other USA shows. It points to comskip_USA.ini.

By using the "File Name Match" function of MCEBuddy it allows you to decide what shows get a specific task acted upon them. I just set my "Monitor Location" to * so MCEBuddy looks at all my WMC recordings and then it is up to the "Tasks" to filter shows.

If anyone would like my customized comskip ini files I can upload them to the ftp site here, if it is okay with rboy1.
Feb 17, 2013 at 2:47 AM
@Wilky While I respect and appreciate your opinion I simply do not agree. MCEBuddy is a great little GUI for many various tools, and in my view has long since evolved from something as simply intended for recorded TV. In fact I think the time and effort that the program has been given by rboy1 really speaks to this. It really is a manager of video tasks, can chain them together and falls back on different utilities if a predecessor fails. This makes the mgmt. of tasks very fluid and increases automation. Unfortunately File Name Matching won't solve problems with variants as I've previously explained. If your only source of video is a self recorded wtv file, the file name approach will work fine. Many of us, however, have libraries that are much larger and varied.
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Wilky13 wrote:
Guys, I think the whole MCEBuddy program was specifically invented for recorded TV. If you just have mp4 or avi's you want to convert to mkv, use another program like MergeMKV, it would take less than 1 minute an episode to remux and allows batch conversions.

Now for separate tasks, here is how I setup MCEBuddy, hope it helps. I have 4 Tasks setup (the main reason is because of comskip ini's), all of them are MKV High Quality (2-pass) . 1) HQ MKV, this is my default. All WMC recordings not in 2, 3, or 4 are written into the "File Name Match". It points to comskip.ini. 2) FX, (this one is actually a special version of MKV High Quality that I reordered for ffmpeg to run before MEncoder, since all FX shows seem to fail MEncoder conversions), again "File Name Match" has Archer*;Sunny;Justified*;League (all FX shows). It points to comskip_FX.ini. 3) ABC, "File Name Match" has Modern*; and a few other ABC shows. It points to comskip_ABC.ini (the main reason for this was the new comkip_ABC.ini. ABC likes to randomly not show their logo, so I had to do a lot of tweaking, especially to catch the last 30 seconds of Modern Family when they play a funny ending during the credits). and 4) USA, "File Name Match" has Burn* (for Burn Notice) and few other USA shows. It points to comskip_USA.ini.

By using the "File Name Match" function of MCEBuddy it allows you to decide what shows get a specific task acted upon them. I just set my "Monitor Location" to * so MCEBuddy looks at all my WMC recordings and then it is up to the "Tasks" to filter shows.

If anyone would like my customized comskip ini files I can upload them to the ftp site here, if it is okay with rboy1.
I'm fine I can put up a separate sticky page and link / add all the custom comskip ini files. You can start with a new thread and a folder for now with details and we can work out the organization as things evolve.
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I've added an option to link Monitor Locations to Conversion Tasks in the conversion tasks settings in the next build. Ofcourse this only works for monitored locations, manually added files are processed by all conversion tasks
Feb 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Thanks for trying to incorporate this feature. I think it will prove useful in automation to many.
Mar 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Hi rboy1,

I downloaded the recent beta (dated: 03032013) and was going to give the folder assignment a test.

If I am correct, the setting to assign the folder is under the given task, "Select monitor locations" checkbox. When I select this checkbox, I am presented with a modal window that indicates "Windows Default" and it is selected. Deselecting this does not present a method of selecting a given folder (or folders) to assign.

Please let me know if I've missed something.

Many thanks,
j
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM
You can't assign folders to conversions tasks. You can assign monitor tasks. So create a new monitor task to monitor the folder you want and assign the Monitor task to the conversion task.
Mar 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Thank you for the clarification.