HDTV channel compression

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM
When I record a one hour HDTV program from TWC the file is just over 5 GB on one of the channels but other channels are well over 6 GB.

It appears that when I convert these .wtv files from the programs that are 5 GB to mp4 they do not fill the TV screen. As far as I can tell, all the larger files on conversion do fill the screen.

I don't know where to look for the problem. I don't think it is MCE Buddy. I have the latest drivers for the tuners and all the tuners seem to record fine. I don't see anything unusual in the logs.

Can someone suggest where I might look to fix the problem?

TIA,

Wayne
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM
You need to check the aspect ratio. What version of MCEBuddy are using and what player are you using to play it back?
Mar 1, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I'm using 2.3 Release 11 for 64 bit Windows 7 and sending the output to the HDTV via a Sony SMP-N100 media player.

I've checked and the aspect ratios seem to be okay. It is only the 5 GB program recorded from QAM cable and then converted to MP4 with MCE Buddy that is out of whack. The screen is filled horizontally but there are large black areas below and above on the screen. Almost as if the conversion is in SD instead of HD. Although the original wtv file is less than I usually get with one hour HD recordings, it is too large to be an SD recording.

I've converted all the shows recorded on the night in question to HD XVID (avi) using a different converter and they all fill the HDTV screen properly. They are all around 2.5 GB without any commercial stripping.
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM
There have been a few fixes recently related to stretching and cropping of black bars in 2.3.12

You'll have to test with the latest version.