Me and MCEBuddy

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:13 AM
1st off I would like to thank ramitbhalla for putting in the time and effort into making the removal of commercials easy. This was my first HTPC Build(although I have a strong background in computers) and the last thing that was missing was to automatically remove commercials. I am using the Beta build and wanted to say it is working perfect. I have a ton of hard drive space and wanted the quality without spending the time and computer resources to convert,
plus trying to keep it easy on my girlfriend wanted them to play in WMC under recorded TV. A few things I have found are as fallow:
  • My build had shark007 codecs installed and I couldn't not get WTV Unprocessed to play in WMC even after setting ffdshow settings Mpeg2+Mpeg in AVi set to libavcodec. WMC would just crash and show an error report. They played on my xbox 360, but not on my HTPC. I tryed uninstalling shark007 codec with no luck. I did a complete win7 re-install w/o installing the codec and now they work perfectly. (My guess is a config setting set by his codec is not uninstalled by the installer when removing. If I had more time I would have tryed to figure out what the cause was.)
  • (May Be a Bug) When I did not pick a "Destination" ,so i could replace the original file so that the non-commercial show would show up in WMC, and I had it set to archive the files(in case a min. of my girlfriends shows was cut off) The files were never archived. When the Destination was set to Recorded TV(Same Folder just added the destination). Both files end up getting deleted with nothing archived. So i am unsable to archive the files while using WTV Unprocessed mode (Gussing its the same with just WTV Mode). Basically I want to archive files for 3 days in case there is a problem then have a 3rd party app delete files that are 3 days old in that folder(Looking for something to do that if anyone knows of anything, haven't relay looked since i have not archives yet :o) Who knows maybe that could be a future feature and be treated as log files are now. I know i know easier said then done. The Only workaround I have found was WMC is set to record to D:\Recorded TV(My Raid drives). My Archives are set to D:\MCEBuddy Temp\Archive. And I make my Destination folder D:\Recorded TV2 and add it to my "Recorded TV Library. Works as a temporary solution although not a big fan of having my recordings split between 2 folders.
Questions
  1. How does MCEBuddy know what files have already been processed and to not re-process them?
  2. Is there a way to have it Start up in Conversion>Start(running) mode? Would Scheduling do that say if I had a power failure since my computer is set to turn back on when power comes back and I had the app set to start on boot?
  3. How often does it scan the Locations folders?
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2013 at 3:50 AM
Glad to see you're enjoying it.

You're right about Shark Codecs, they are basically a HACK and I'm not a fan of them, they mess up the registry and do many funky things I would never do to my system.

First up - am very surprised by the deleting not archiving. Please send me a conversion log for a sample where it doesn't archive and deleted the original + converted. This is something I know I fixed a few BETA's ago and it's working with the current BETA. But again send me the log so I can see what's going on. This is a fundamental issues that should definitely work flawlessly.

Answering your questions:
  1. It tracks files in the History file (refer to documentation) - delete the history file and it starts over again
  2. Once Start is clicked, MCEbuddy will automatically start all conversions until you press Stop (irrespective of a reboot, shutdown or power failure). This is a very basic functionality (the value for Engine is stored in the mcebuddy.conf file so it's persistent). If it's not working, check your Service settings, I had one user report a similar problem where the service was not being started by Windows. Just had to do a clean install.
  3. Currently every 300 seconds, you can adjust the time manually in MCEbuddy.conf, refer to documenation for more details.
Mar 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM
@nickglott in regard to (May Be A Bug), having a similar situation what I found worked well.

MCE can monitor more than one location for recorded TV, even though it only records to one. In MCE go into Settings -> Media Libraries -> Recorded TV and add a second location, in my case I added E:\Commercial Free TV.

In MCEBuddy specify this location as your "Destination". As long as your output is in WTV or WMV (or MSDVR), these recordings will show up seamlessly in MCE and can be managed from MCE as if all in one location.

I like this setup myself as when I open Explorer it is clear which recordings have been processed or not.
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM
nickglott wrote:
1st off I would like to thank ramitbhalla for putting in the time and effort into making the removal of commercials easy. This was my first HTPC Build(although I have a strong background in computers) and the last thing that was missing was to automatically remove commercials. I am using the Beta build and wanted to say it is working perfect. I have a ton of hard drive space and wanted the quality without spending the time and computer resources to convert,
plus trying to keep it easy on my girlfriend wanted them to play in WMC under recorded TV. A few things I have found are as fallow:
  • My build had shark007 codecs installed and I couldn't not get WTV Unprocessed to play in WMC even after setting ffdshow settings Mpeg2+Mpeg in AVi set to libavcodec. WMC would just crash and show an error report. They played on my xbox 360, but not on my HTPC. I tryed uninstalling shark007 codec with no luck. I did a complete win7 re-install w/o installing the codec and now they work perfectly. (My guess is a config setting set by his codec is not uninstalled by the installer when removing. If I had more time I would have tryed to figure out what the cause was.)
  • (May Be a Bug) When I did not pick a "Destination" ,so i could replace the original file so that the non-commercial show would show up in WMC, and I had it set to archive the files(in case a min. of my girlfriends shows was cut off) The files were never archived. When the Destination was set to Recorded TV(Same Folder just added the destination). Both files end up getting deleted with nothing archived. So i am unsable to archive the files while using WTV Unprocessed mode (Gussing its the same with just WTV Mode). Basically I want to archive files for 3 days in case there is a problem then have a 3rd party app delete files that are 3 days old in that folder(Looking for something to do that if anyone knows of anything, haven't relay looked since i have not archives yet :o) Who knows maybe that could be a future feature and be treated as log files are now. I know i know easier said then done. The Only workaround I have found was WMC is set to record to D:\Recorded TV(My Raid drives). My Archives are set to D:\MCEBuddy Temp\Archive. And I make my Destination folder D:\Recorded TV2 and add it to my "Recorded TV Library. Works as a temporary solution although not a big fan of having my recordings split between 2 folders.
Questions
  1. How does MCEBuddy know what files have already been processed and to not re-process them?
  2. Is there a way to have it Start up in Conversion>Start(running) mode? Would Scheduling do that say if I had a power failure since my computer is set to turn back on when power comes back and I had the app set to start on boot?
  3. How often does it scan the Locations folders?
I just tested it with the following setup:
  1. A WTV file lying a test folder
  2. Monitor Task setup to monitor Test folder
  3. Destination Directory is BLANK (i.e. same folder as original file)
  4. Profile set to WTV Unprocessed
  5. No renaming (detination file will have same name as original file)
Options:
  1. Nothing - Original file replaced by destination file - SUCCESS
  2. Delete Original - Original file replaced by destination file - SUCCESS
  3. Archive File - Original file replaced by destination file, no archived file (as expected since file names are same) - SUCCESS
  4. Archive File wtih Renaming enabled - Original file archived, destination file in original folder - SUCCESS
Everything is working as expected. I suspect you may be facing other issue for which you'll need to post your log file.