This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Series start year in custom rename

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I looked at all the options for creating custom rename formats, but didn't see what I was looking for. So I'd like to suggest the addition of the series start year. My setup runs automatically overnight and feeds an install of Plex. There are certain shows, like 'Castle' (on ABC) that MCEBuddy resolves properly, but Plex always seems match with some old show that's actually about castles. If MCEBuddy could automatically create the folder for the show named 'Castle (2009)' then all would work well. Perhaps I'm just missing an option that's already there to do this. If not, than consider it suggested.
Mar 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM
%airyear%
Mar 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM
rboy1 wrote:
%airyear%
Thanks for the quick reply. Will this actually use the year the series first started airing? Or the year of the current episode being processed (which is what I assumed it to be)? For shows that have spanned many years (like 'Castle' in my example above), I would need the original series air year, 2009, not the air year of the last episode, 2013.
Mar 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM
It's the original broadcast date for teh current episode. what you're looking for is not available in the metadata or tvdb.com (unless the show title itself has 2009 in it).

You can create a special tasks for each series you want like this. I 'm assuming this will be a very limited just a few series that have this issues.
Mar 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM
rboy1 wrote:
It's the original broadcast date for teh current episode. what you're looking for is not available in the metadata or tvdb.com (unless the show title itself has 2009 in it).

You can create a special tasks for each series you want like this. I 'm assuming this will be a very limited just a few series that have this issues.
For the time being, I will create a special conversion for it. But, the name of the show as it appears in thetvdb.com is actually 'Castle (2009)'. Thanks.
Mar 19, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Okay but there is no reliable way to tell if that is year of the series or part of the title

On Mar 18, 2013, at 2:27 PM, "rwhapham" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

rboy1 wrote:

For the time being, I will create a special conversion for it. But, the name of the show as it appears in thetvdb.com is actually 'Castle (2009)'. Thanks.
Mar 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Perhaps a replacement for the series name as it was found on thetvdb.com? I'm guessing that %seriesname% is actually using the metadata from the WMV, which would be 'Castle'. Given all of the other parameters for the lookup (episode name, air date, etc.), MCEBuddy correctly identifies the show. If I had an replacement value to use that was the series name from the lookup, which would be 'Castle (2009)', it would save having to create a custom filter for each show that has this issue (in my short list of recorded shows, 'Once Upon a Time' also has this problem). Just a suggestion, otherwise MCEBuddy has been a cornerstone in the way TV shows are watched at my house. Thanks.
Mar 21, 2013 at 1:41 AM
I understand why you're saying so let explain how things work and see if we can find an acceptable solution.

There is a separate thread where I have outlined the process an sites used to download the metadata. It is very extensive as mcebuddy uses 4 different sites to download metadata for maximum effectiveness.

The current way things work to take advantage of all the 4 sites mcebuddy will cycle through all the 4 sites scraping information from each if them but only updating those fields that are missing information.

The reason that is done is because very often the same fields contain different data on different websites.

So for eg WTV marks your show as castles. Tvdb marks it as castles (2009) and supplies the episode and series information. Then tv.com supplies the genre information but names it as castles and then tmdb calls it castles - 2009.

So if mcebuddy were to update all the fields from each website there would not telling what the final metadata would contain since each website returns slightly different information (mcebuddy uses advanced comparison techniques to match the episode - refer to The other thread). Hence only missing data is updated and the source file is treated as king for source.

Given the above if you have any suggestions on how the metadata scraping algorithm can be improved ill be happy to hear about it.

On Mar 20, 2013, at 9:44 AM, "rwhapham" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Perhaps a replacement for the series name as it was found on thetvdb.com? I'm guessing that %seriesname% is actually using the metadata from the WMV, which would be 'Castle'. Given all of the other parameters for the lookup (episode name, air date, etc.), MCEBuddy correctly identifies the show. If I had an replacement value to use that was the series name from the lookup, which would be 'Castle (2009)', it would save having to create a custom filter for each show that has this issue (in my short list of recorded shows, 'Once Upon a Time' also has this problem). Just a suggestion, otherwise MCEBuddy has been a cornerstone in the way TV shows are watched at my house. Thanks.
Oct 24, 2013 at 6:23 AM
It's been several months since the last post, but thought I would revisit as I'm looking to build my TV folder structure using the year the series launched to distinguish it from other shows with similar names.. TheTVDB does appear to contain a FirstAired field. Based on the numerous databases being scraped would that be a reliable source? If so could the year be able to be queried and added as a custom rename parameter?
Oct 24, 2013 at 7:00 AM
reasonably reliable and yes it's already there.

Oct 24, 2013 at 5:50 PM
That's great news. I must have missed the variable in the advanced settings documentation. I had been using %airyear%, but that will return the year in which the particular show was originally broadcast. What variable should I use for the year in which the series first aired / premiered?
Oct 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM
that's the parameter for the original air date, if isn't correct then either the metadata in your wtv/source file is wrong or it's not correct on tvdb (unlikely).

Post your file to see what's going on. I'm assuming you're on the latest version since there have been enhancements to the metada download logic recently.

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:58 AM
I downloaded and installed the most recent build from 10/27, but experienced the same results. I uploaded two logs to review. American Pickers for example will return 2013 as the airyear as opposed to 2010. Similarly, older series that are no longer being produced populate the airyear for that particular season, not the year in which they premiered.
Oct 28, 2013 at 5:21 AM
Can you confirm what date is shown in TVDB?

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Yes, both shows have the correct First Aired date on TVDB. For example American Pickers is 2010 (http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=141181&lid=7).
Oct 28, 2013 at 7:54 AM
I'm travelling right now and will look at the logs in a few days. But I suspect I know what's going on.
If the source is a WTV file, then the metadata is taken from the WTV file and "supplemented" with TVDB. Often the wTV files contain the wrong original air date so since it exists it is not overwritten by TVDB data.

You see the conundrum. Which source is more reliable?
Oct 28, 2013 at 10:40 PM
I believe you're correct. Some instances of other shows do not always contain a date either and would not be able to return the variable based solely on the file itself. In this particular case, the TVDB would be preferable. If WTV files metadata does not actually contain the original series airyear, but rather the year in which a particular episode was released a new variable could be used to contain that information and populated from TVDB. Fortunately, this is not a problem for recorded movies.

Alternatively you could offer a preference that would prefer data returned from internet sources as opposed to the metadata in the WTV file itself.
Nov 2, 2013 at 5:28 AM
I've added a patch for this, essentially it check the dates, many time the dates in the metadata are wrong and represent the recorded date and time rather than original air date and time. Now MCEBuddy checks for the discrepency and updates it with teh internet metadata if the original air date/time is > internet original air date and time. Check the next beta build tonight
Nov 6, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Thank you very much for your efforts. I installed the most current beta build, but it appears the same behavior is occurring. I've uploaded a couple additional logs for your review. If the data being returned is specific to the episode rather than the series, would it be possible once the series name is confirmed to query for Season 1, Episode 1 of a given series to return the original series airyear?
Nov 6, 2013 at 3:39 AM
I need your original file - it's VERY difficult to debug this stuff without being able to replicate it. Can you upload it to the MCEBuddy server.
Nov 6, 2013 at 4:13 AM
you don't need to upload the entire video. Use the file splitter I have provided and cut the first 20 MB and upload it. (FIRST segment).

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:43 AM
What exactly is the issue:

I see this in the logs:

2013-10-26T03:10:06 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Updated Video Tags after downloading details ->
Title: American Pickers
SubTitle: London Calling
Description: The guys drive clear to England where they haggle over an iconic red phone booth; a British eccentric's garage is packed with motorized treasures; the guys excavate a wall of junk; Mike makes a mammoth bid on an ultra-rare motorbike.
Network: History HD
Parental Rating: TV-PG
Media Credits: Mike Wolfe/Frank Fritz;;;
Genres: General,Series,Documentary/Bio,Reality
Season: 2013
Episode: 25
Banner:
Banner URL:
IMDB MovieId: tt1596786
MovieDB MovieId:
TVDB SeriesId: 141181
Is Show Movie: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2013-10-23T00:00:00
RecordedDateTime: 2013-10-26T02:01:09
CopyProtected: False

And this is what I also see on TVDB.com
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2013-10-23T00:00:00

The dates match exactly. What am I missing?

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:45 AM
oh I see what you're saying, it's not the originalbroadcast date - you want to know what year the series started airing, right?

I don't see that information anywhere on TVDB.com, correct me if I'm wrong.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:09 AM
Precisely. The goal is to differentiate shows of the same name, but also for continuity purposes as well. Using American Pickers as the example, the link I included above (http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=141181&lid=7) lists the "First Aired:" information correctly for the series. Is that date/year retrievable when searching TVDB via API?
Nov 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM
is this there only tvdb.com or does imdb, themoviedb.org and tv.com also have it?

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM
I found a bug sometime if the originalbroadcast date doesn't exist in the metadata it may not take it from tv.com, fixed that.

Adding support for premiereDate in the next build.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 9:07 AM