Conversion task explanation for the technically challenged

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Can someone point me to clear, easy directions to how to make a conversion task? I looked at the documentation but I am really lost. I am happy with MCEBuddy for the most part (Downloaded the latest version) but I am mystified how to get it to rename my files to this convention for my Plex server: Show name season episode.
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Have you referred to the getting started guide and the pop up help for each button/box/checkbox?
Mar 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Yes I have. For example, under Profile Basics, the instructions list:
Basic Format of a Profile:

[<Profile Name>]

e.g. [Convert to MP4]

Name of the profile as it will show up in MCEBuddy

Description=<Profile Description>

e.g. Description=Convert a file to MP4 format

Short description of what the profile does

order=<copy/ffmpeg/mencoder/handbrake>

e.g. order=ffmpeg,mencoder

I see this and I am afraid this means nothing to me. Can you maybe list a template that will do what I want? That I can copy and paste into wherever I am supposed to copy and paste it? Like I said, I just want MCEBuddy to rename my files so that Plex will recognize them.
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Okay so you're confusing 2 things here:
  1. Profiles are very low level settings used for conversion properties (like which encoder, cropping, interlacing, codecs etc). If you're looking to make a custom profile, you can start with a template from profile.conf. (but this is NOT what you're looking for)
  2. Conversion task settings which are user editable and don't need low level access like volume, renaming, audio delay extracing closed captions etc
The conversion task settings (click on the Conversion TAsk -> Change -> Advanced SettingS) - you will find the custom rename section which allows to create custom renamed file. Refer to the pop up help or documentation (advanced commands) to see how to use the custom rename.