Use result of one conversion task as input to another

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I am recording on one computer (COMP1) and doing conversion and storage on another (COMP2 using 2.3.12 BETA).
I would like to move a copy of all recordings from COMP1 to COMP2
I would like to leave all movies in their original format but convert all non movies to MP4.

My current setup (which does not work) is to monitor two locations:
Recorded TV   \\COMP1\Recorded TV
To Convert      D:\Convert
I setup two conversion tasks:
Transfer to COMP2
    Profile = WTV Unprocessed
    Remove ads = No
    Destination = D:\Convert
    Custom file renaming
      %ismovie%<Movies\%showname% (%airyear%),%showname% S%season%##E%episode%## %episodename%>
Rename and sort files only
    Select monitor locations = Recorded TV
Convert to MP4
    Profile = MP4 Normal
    Remove ads = Yes
    Destination = D:\Converted
    Custom file renaming
      %showname% S%season%##E%episode%## %episodename%
    Select monitor locations = To Convert
Files are moved from COMP1 to COMP2 as desired (sorting movies from series); however, I am finding that I must add the shows in D:\Convert manually for them to be converted and placed in D:\Converted.

Is there a way I can fully automate so the result of one conversion task can be used as input to another conversion task, assuming different target directories for each step?

Regards, David
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Check your mcebuddy.log file, likely mcebuddy doesn't have the rights to read d:\convert.

did you enter the credentials or have you mapped the drive?
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM
send in your mcebuddy.log
Mar 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Uploaded to mcebuddy.dyndns.org\logs\frogjr
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2013 at 4:03 AM
Okay a couple of points here:
  1. I noticed you were using a temp folder inside your Convert folder - not a good idea to put the temp folder inside the source recording directory, in this case since monitor sub directories is not checked it may work but still not generally a good idea. pick another folder outside, it's a temp and MCEBuddy will clean it up when it's done.
  2. I don't see any monitoring work being on the D:\Convert folder. Are you sure there are files in it? If so can you confirm that the files security permissions are read AND write for everyone including Local System accounts?
Mar 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM
I'm running into a similar issue (recording on one computer and storing processed files on another) but I'm pretty sure that it is a permissions issue. The computer I'm recording and processing files on is a Windows 8 computer (logged in with my Microsoft account) and I'm trying to save the processed files to my WHS2011 server storage. I've tried every combination of accounts I can think of, but I can't seem to get an account that allows this. Any suggestions?
It would be awesome if there was a way to leverage a network share password for copying/editing files...
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM
NEtwork shares are very complicated issues unfortunately, you may want t google it also on how to share between different windows servers, some registry tweask maybe be required.

I would reccomend the BEST way for MCEBuddy to work is to MAP the network drive as letter and use the letter in MCEBuddy rather than input credentials into MCEBuddy. That way the system takes care of authentication etc.
Mar 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM
rboy1 wrote:
NEtwork shares are very complicated issues unfortunately, you may want t google it also on how to share between different windows servers, some registry tweask maybe be required.

I would reccomend the BEST way for MCEBuddy to work is to MAP the network drive as letter and use the letter in MCEBuddy rather than input credentials into MCEBuddy. That way the system takes care of authentication etc.
Yeah, I tried mapping the drive, but I must be looking at the wrong settings. I tried updating the mcebuddy.conf file, but the changes aren't reflected in the app. When I try to add the mapped drive through the app, it automatically sets it to the Network Share name rather than the mapped drive name.
Maybe I'm missing something...
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Why are you updating MCEBuddy.conf? there is no need to edit the file manually (and if you do read the documentation on the correct way to edit it, you can't just open and edit it, the changes won't reflect - you need to press Stop before editing).

when you say you try to add the mapped drive through the app - you mean MCEBuddy? if so I've never seen it change (nor have I put any code for that) a mapped drive to a network drive. I will test it again.

Can you share youe mcebuddy.conf and also share in details the steps your are following for mapped drive
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Okay I've found a bug in the code, which as replacing the mapped drive with a UNC path and ALSO a bug that prevents MCEBuddy from monitoring some directories.

I've fixed this in the next BETA build
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Key point to note

Now ALL remote files will need a username and password to connect to the network resource UNLESS the remote drive accepts guest OR everyone authentication. .MCEBuddy does NOT support mapped drives. All mapped drives files will be converted back to UNC paths