This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Installation Error

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Hi all,

I spent some time trying to figure this error out on my own (reading issues, documentation, googling, etc) to no avail.

No previous installations of MCEBuddy have ever been installed on this computer, but I did follow all steps for a clean install in documentation after it failed, as well as run the install as administrator.

Since I still get the error when I tried older builds and 64 and 32 bit give the same error, I assume it's an issue on my end of some kind.

Error 1001. Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.Serialization, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

I'm running Windows 8.

Thanks for any help.
Coordinator
Apr 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM
You .NET installation is probably corrupted, download the .NET 4 client framework again from Microsoft and reinstall it.
Apr 23, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I tried that as part of my googling attempt to fix it, but when I attempted to install 4.5, it says I already have it as part of my operating system and auto-cancels the install. I'll see if there's a way to force install it.
Coordinator
Apr 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Apr 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Reinstalling just fails since it's integrated into Windows 8, but I ran a .net framework verification and everything is fine (https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yb2nu98on4bapw/setupverifier_main_04-23-13_10.33.05.txt).

Is there something else that might be causing this?
Apr 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Oh weird - I found the verification tool independently. I'll run the cleanup one.
Apr 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Ah, turns out that's a dead-end as the clean tool won't remove a .net framework that's part of the OS. It's not clear that there's anything wrong with my .net framework anyhow I guess. Any final suggestions or am I out of luck?

Thanks for the quick help either way - it was appreciated.
Coordinator
Apr 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Try a windows repair (setup CD) or a fresh install. This problem will probably hound you with other .NET apps who are using the same library