2.3.13 BETA

Coordinator
May 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Edited Jun 27, 2013 at 6:09 AM
Just a thread for folks who have questions aboput the 2.3.13 BETA and some update on it.

2.3.13 BETA build 04302013 is about 30% to 50% faster in profiles (Normal and Fast) and about 50% better quality for High Quality profiles.

Here are the changes so far:
NEW FEATURES:
  1. Added support for 2 GUI start up command (/startmin and /startengine). Refer to documentation for more details
  2. Added support to show the history of converted files, status, profile, conversion duration etc
  3. Added support for user provided translations to be loaded at runtime on the fly. User can create custom translations by creating a <language>-fixed.txt in the Localization directory (e.g. de-fixed.txt). The format of the files is a tab separated translation, one row for each phrase (no quotes), i.e.
    <english text><TAB><translated text>
  4. Added support for Klingon language (go start trek!)
  5. Added a new window for expert settings, no more meddling with mcebuddy.conf (use carefully!)
  6. Users can now define a custom profiles.conf file so they don’t need to keep replacing it after each upgrade. NOTE: if you use this feature you will miss out on new enhancements and performance improvements to profiles.conf that comes with mcebuddy upgrades.
  7. Added support for pre conversion Custom Commands (prefixed with the letters Pre). This custom command is run BEFORE the conversion process (before copying EDL/SRT file and before remuxing) starts but after extracting the metadata. Refer to documentation for more details.
  8. Added option for suspending conversion on battery power and automatically resuming on a/c
  9. Added performance metrics to conversion log
    ENHANCEMENTS:
  10. Upgraded ffmpeg to build Apr 28th 2013
  11. Improved remote engine connect and GUI responsive performance
  12. GUI now shows a message if conversion is paused because it’s outside the programmed schedule
  13. Updated CCExtractor to 0.65 and improved validation of SRT files to avoid failed conversions due to non compliant SRT files
  14. Improved encoding performance by up to 50% by rationalizing bitrates and encoders
  15. Better handling of crashes due to corrupted or incorrect profiles
  16. Added ffmpeg encoding of aac multichannel audio
  17. ffmpeg and handbrake profiles are about 30% faster
  18. Sync converted files now works with manual files and even after restarting the engine, it scans all converted files in the History file and sync them
  19. Improved the quality of high quality profiles by upto 60%
  20. Improved the performance of Monitor Tasks and processing conversion queues over extended periods of time and for very large filesystems
  21. Two new custom command parameters added, %taskname% and %profile%
  22. Added support for customized eMail subjects
  23. In some cases MCEBuddy can prevent system hibernation when Allow Sleep is unchecked
  24. Updated MKVMerge to 6.2.0
  25. Removed header compression from all tracks in MKV and added meta seek data for better seeking and compatibility with hardware
  26. Optimized bitrate of profiles for size, speed and quality
  27. Added support for pause event in service, improved shutdown support
  28. FixedResolution=true now also fixes the bitrate specified in the profile, refer to the documentation for more detail
  29. Updated handbrake to 0.9.9 (support for fast deinterlacing Bob filter)
  30. Engine and conversion status now shown in status bar
  31. Now notifications and custom eMail subjects for adding a conversion to the queue
    BUG FIXES:
  32. GUI reporting incorrect info sometimes
  33. MCEBuddy drash due to CCExtractor parsing corrupted closed caption file
  34. Prevent any 3rd party apps from crashing mcebuddy
  35. Sometimes remote event logs didn’t display properly
  36. Fix announcement text size, sometimes too large, is now scrolling
  37. Change and Delete button in the Settings page sometimes caused an error when nothing is selected and the buttons are pressed
  38. MKV profile incorrectly used AAC instead of AC3 for handbrake fallback
  39. Multichannel audio output did not work when <default> audio language was selected
  40. Original TS files would get overwritten
  41. Original EDL and SRT files would get deleted when using Rename Only option without checking Delete Original
  42. Original files would not get deleted after checking Delete Original if Show or Network metafilters were set
  43. Once a file has been processed for matching metafilters (show or network) it would not reprocess the file when the filters where changed
  44. MCEBUDDY does not install ffdshow anymore since it breaks WTV playback (MPEG2)
  45. Skip crop checking if cropping is disabled (speed improvement)
  46. Upgraded MediaInfo to 0.7.63 (hanging with some WTV files)
  47. Issues with some files not converting due to ffmpeg MediaInfo parsing crash
  48. Test eMail timeout fixed
  49. Handbrake not creating 6ch AAC files (profiles should either remove -6 or add -6 5point1, -6 auto will downmix the channels for AAC audio)
May 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Hello Rboy,

does this mean that ffmpeg fixed the issue you raised earlier in the year ?
Coordinator
May 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM
some - I've put workaround for others
May 2, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Hello roy
please tell me i can now run wtv unprossed
thanks loren
Coordinator
May 2, 2013 at 5:31 AM
yes you can but see the other thread, FFDSHOW breaks WTV playback.
May 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Using today's build of the 2.3.13 BETA, 0502213, I upgraded a previously working system. Everything looks fine but MCEBuddy sits idle forever, it doesn't seem to pick up the recordings waiting for conversion. I used the 'Clear History' button and the 'Rescan'. Nothing in the logs or Event Viewer.

Any suggestions as to how to diagnose or resolve?
Coordinator
May 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM
yes there's a bug so I pulled the build, have fixed it now and will have a new build out tonight with a huge performance increase in monitoring large directories.
May 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM
The updated version worked great! Wow, conversions are noticeably faster, thank you!
Coordinator
May 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Updated the release notes
customized emails subject
new paramters
optimized bitrates
May 23, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Crap I was so excited that I uninstalled MCEBUDDY then went to the FTP site and realized that the 64bit version wasn't ready yet :( I need to check things out first :)
May 23, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Heheh Thank you Rboy1 I kept hitting refresh and you just posted it :)
May 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Edited May 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I may just be blind but I cannot for the life of me locate the customized email subject portion, can you please advise? I converted a video and the subject was exactly the same as before I updated to yesterdays beta.
Coordinator
May 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Have you gone through the documentation?

May 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Check the mcebuddy.conf file, the relevant section in mine looks like:

eMailSuccessSubject=MCEBuddy - Success - %originalfilename%
eMailFailedSubject=MCEBuddy - FAILED - %originalfilename%
eMailCancelledSubject=
eMailStartSubject=MCEBuddy Start %originalfilename% -%taskname%
eMailDownloadFailedSubject=
May 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM

This only happens on premium recorded channels HBO etc. Using Windows Media Center.

Lindsey

Coordinator
May 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM
now a new conversion history window
Coordinator
May 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Edited May 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Run time updates to <language>-fixed.txt translation corrections - now correct your own language yourself, plus now MCEBuddy supports Klingon :)
May 25, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Ok I guess I’m blind I can’t find anything on blocked content

I suspect that Cox cable is blocking premium channel content.

Can you please show how or if I can edit code in the config?

Thank You

Coordinator
May 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Your log file shows that the original video is copy protected. To override this: taken from teh documentation -> Advanced Commands on the MCEbuddy website:

Add this line to the profile you're using in profiles.conf (in the installation\config directory)

IgnoreCopyProtection=false

By default, this value is false. If this is set to true, then MCEBuddy will ignore the Copy Protection flag on the recording if it encounters it during conversion. It will only record an error in the conversion log and continue the conversion. If the recording is really copy protected then the final video will be look garbled. This flag can help because sometimes videos are incorrectly flagged by recording software/tuners. When this is set to false, if MCEBuddy encounters an Copy Protection flag it will stop the conversion after logging an error.

I'm assuming you're using the latest version version of MCEBuddy

May 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Thank you so much I am using the latest beta Ver.
Ill do this shortly

Lindsey

May 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Ok, I added the line IgnoreCopyProtection=true in profiles.conf to the profile I’m using,

It failed. Checking the log it’s still showing IgnoreCopyProtection=false

Any ideas?

Coordinator
May 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM
whoops, my bad it is in mcebuddy.conf and not profiles.conf

Refer the documentation on how to edit mcebuddy.conf (you need to stop the engine before editing it). The line is already there, you need to edit the value.

In the next BETA version of MCEBuddy I'm adding an extra window to control all the options in mcebuddy.conf that are currently hidden including this one.

May 26, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I think that’s a great idea I’m now converting a file, I’ll report back whether it’s watchable or not

May 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Unfortunately after it was converted all I have is a gray screen must actually be copy protected

Thank you Cox cable

Coordinator
May 27, 2013 at 12:23 AM
a tip, if it's a free to air channel or any channel that's available as basic cable, they will need to provide you with a decrypted version as per FTC law. I wrote to comcast for TOON channel quoting the FTC requirement and they unencrypted my TOON channel so I could record/convert it. Worth a shot.

Other option is use another media recording software like Media Portal instead of MCE.

Coordinator
May 27, 2013 at 1:05 AM
New expert settings window. No more fiddling arond with mcebuddy.conf. all settings are now done through the GUI, be careful.

Added support for moving original file on a failed conversion
May 27, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Unfortunately it’s only the premium channels Showtime HBO etc. etc.

May 27, 2013 at 2:44 AM
rboy1 wrote:
New expert settings window. No more fiddling arond with mcebuddy.conf. all settings are now done through the GUI, be careful.

Added support for moving original file on a failed conversion
Darn I was so excited.....then after installing realized it was not the profiles.conf file :) I always need to edit that because my custom commands :) Keep up the great work!!
May 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Upgraded from V0520213 to V05272013, GUI could not connect to the service.

Tried repair install and turning off Firewall, netstat -an did not reveal a Listening socket at 23332.

Uninstalled and installed V05252013.
Coordinator
May 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Weird I'm using it. Try rebooting your comp and trying

Also click on windows logs in the GUI and see what error message is reported by the engine and send it to me

May 30, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Second time must be the charm, perhaps upgrading from V05202013 to V05272013 was too much? The new expert screen looks great!

Just as a matter of observation, in the past I've deleted SlowRemux0 and SlowRemux1 per previous conversation, but I have to do this every upgrade, this time I tried setting them to null to see if they will carry forward.

I also have to rename profiles.conf.old to profiles.conf to retain my custom profiles, I am usually reminded when I go into the settings to double check and I get an error that the profile is not found when changing a conversion task.

Thank you, looks great.
Coordinator
May 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Yes remux settings are not carried. Any profile related settings are not carried because these are optimized constantly. I would not suggest blindly replacing the profiles file since it contains many enhancement to stock profiles

May 30, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Yes, I've noticed this, but after spending considerable effort dialing in custom settings that work for me, really want to preserve them.

Would you be open to an enhancement request to specify a local profiles.conf? That would allow the stock profiles to be updated with out loosing the local custom profiles.
Coordinator
Jun 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Done - users can now specify a custom profiles.conf. NOTE: MCEBuddy will either use custom profile.conf of stock, not both. So you will need to back port new changes to profile.conf with each release to your custom profile.conf if you want the new enhancements or features. However now you dont' need to keep replacing the file after each release.
Jun 3, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Have not had a chance to try specification of a custom profiles.conf yet,, this enhancement is appreciated, thank you.
Jun 4, 2013 at 6:57 AM
Is it possible to have a profile work off the "Genre" file attribute?

Specifically, I want MCEBuddy to save converted TV programs in one directory, and Movies in another directory. Thanks! Will.
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Look through the discussion forums on how to use the %ismovie% parameter and yes you can use the %genre% parameter also

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Edited Jun 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Hello Rboy,

is handbrake updated to 0.9.9 in newest MCEBuddy builds ? I ask because I'm looking forward to using new deinterlacing filter
( Double framerate ("bob") mode for the deinterlace and decomb filters )

I've tried BBC HD 1080i 25fps content via newest Handbrake GUI and Handbrake output ( with "bob" deinterlacing) finally looks as good as highest setting yadiff in ffmpeg. (ie. 1080i at 25fps comes out as progressive 50fps, perfect for Formula1, football or any other sporting programme )
Coordinator
Jun 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM
:) timing, I'm just testing it for the next BETA build. Also in the next few months there will be support for hardware encoding using OpenCL and QuickSync - keep a close eye on Handbrake CLI.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Edited Jun 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM
That's cool. Looking forward to new Handbrake being included ( particularly "bob" deinterlacer ) and also QuickSync option.
Thank you !
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM
skip unnecessary crop check
update and compatible with handbrake 0.9.9
Coordinator
Jun 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Added support to suspend when switching to battery power and resume on A/C
Jun 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM
rboy1 wrote:
Added support to suspend when switching to battery power and resume on A/C
super idea, thank you
Jun 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Would it be possible to add a count of the total number of items remaining in the queue? That would be super helpful to get a back-of-the-napkin understanding of progress.
Coordinator
Jun 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM
if you hover over the icon in the system tray it will tell you how many conversions are in the queue.

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM
WillTschumy wrote:
Would it be possible to add a count of the total number of items remaining in the queue? That would be super helpful to get a back-of-the-napkin understanding of progress.
done
Jun 20, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the responsiveness!
Jun 24, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Have you thought about adding anything UI around history management? Specifically, I'm tweaking my comskip.ini file, so I've been re-re-encoding some recordings. Manually looking through the history file is kinda painful. Any chance of pulling it into the app UI a la the advanced settings?

Thanks and awesome work!
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM
It's already there in the latest beta. Click on show history in the settings tab

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM
So it is. Thanks!
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2013 at 6:10 AM
Performance counters and history details.
Added queuing email alert
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2013 at 6:10 AM
Bugfix for handbrake AAC multi channel audio (updated profile)
Jun 28, 2013 at 3:55 AM
I've been playing with the history function in MCEBuddy - I think it needs to modifications / enhancements / fixes:
1) if I resize the window, the grid should expand with it
2) I want to be able to do more granular control of which shows get re-encoded, not just a clear all. The current experience isn't any better than manipulating the history file in notepad.

Thanks! Will.
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 4:37 AM
I don't understand why you want to manipulate the history file. If you want to recode something just drag and drop it onto the MCEBuddy window. SOOO much easier.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:51 AM
I hadn't thought about doing it that way - definitely a lot easier. Thanks!
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM
anyways next release will have an option to right click and reconvert the file (i.e. remove from history file)

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Edited Jun 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM
2.3.13 is now in production and accessible through the Early Access Program. It will be made available to everyone when 2.3.14 is released. Unfortunately there has been limited funding for development and hardware. Thank you ALL very much for supporting the Early Access Program. We are committed to making MCEBuddy available for free to everyone and we appreciate your support.