Recorded TV Thumbnails

May 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Let me start by saying thank you for making such a useful tool, it's really quite amazing! So far I've just been using it to encode recorded TV to WTV and organize the file structure. The recoded files are on average half the size, so MCEBuddy has really helped me save some space. My only (really minor) problem so far has been that Media Center doesn't create thumbnails for the new WTV files, there's just a light blue rectangle on the Recorded TV screen and the thumbnail never gets generated. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks,
Randy
Mar 4, 2014 at 4:55 PM
I am having the exact same issue. Not that it's really a big deal but it sure would be nice for WMC to be able to update it's TVThumbs.db file after recreating the WTV file without commercials.

James
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2014 at 7:25 PM
I don't think it's something to do with MCEBuddy, see this:

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/1413/how-do-i-configure-and-use-the-dvr-ms-metadata-plugin
The thumb image we extract is seemingly created when the video is first viewed in the Recorded TV section in windows media center. If the thumbnail is not showing in Media Browser try using Media Center to view the item in the Recorded TV section until the actual thumbnail appears.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 3/4/2014 at 12:25 PM
Mar 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM
I'll have to continue investigating. I know if I don't convert the original .WTV file there are thumbnails in Windows Media Center. After I convert it does not. I basically have the default layout. Converting to WTV Unprocessed. All I really want MCEBuddy to do is pull out the commercials.
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Yes I understand. I have spent a lot of time grappling with this. Here is how it works.
Media center essentially parses the video takes a thumbnail snapshot and then embeds it as a WM/Picture metadata tag into the wtv files. With the latest build I've added support to extract this Snapshot (which is pretty useless compared to the cover art mcebuddy downloads from the internet). However there is not way to embed a thumbnail back into a wtv file currently. I've been experimenting with it but it doesn't seem to work. The only way I know is to have media center parse the file in the recorded tv section and let it regenerate the thumbnail automatically.

Try that and see if it works. Put the converted file into your recorded tv folder fire up media center and give it some time (a few hours)