GPU encoding

May 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Hi all,

Does anybody now if it is possible to enable gpu encoding and how (have the following card saphire hd 7790 with support for http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1159&pid=1876&psn=&lid=1&leg=0) or if it is any good at all ?

Regards,
Klaus
Coordinator
Jul 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM
You can try the latest Handbrake BETA CLIi with QuickSync support. It only works with 64 bits.Replace it in the handbrake directory of MCEBuddy.
You will need to modify the profile.conf to use the quicksync qsv encoder and also the qsv hardware deinterlace flags. See the handbrake documentation for more details.

this should get your hardware encoding for MCEBuddy if you have a Intel Sandy Bridge or later model.
Jul 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Hi rboy1,

Thanks for your reply.

But according to Handbrake the following things apply:

https://trac.handbrake.fr/milestone/OpenCL%20Beta:
Hardware-accelerated decoding using DXVA2. Please note that this feature is Windows-only and only works on sources which we decode via Libav (DVD, Blu-ray and MPEG Transport/Program streams can't use hardware-accelerated decoding).

So I'm I missing something since my sources is MPEG Transport streams does MCBuddy decode via Libav?

Regards,
Klaus
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM
I was referring to QuickSync, OpenCL support is still not consumer grade as yet.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I will wait then since my graphic card is AMD and not Intel - to bad. But thanks for the quick reply. :-)
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2013 at 3:07 AM
For those who want a QuickSync enabled Handbrake you can download the CLI from :

Handbrake QuickSync CLI

Replace the handbrake CLI in the handbrake directory with the files in the zip file.
Then you need to modify the handbrake profile (handbrake-video) to change the encoder from
-e x264
to
-e qsv_h264
and you're good to go. You can play with other settings if you like.

It gave me a 30% increase in performance.
Sep 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM
@rboy1

Is this still a viable enhancement for users on the latest 2.3.14 beta or has it already been incorporated? How do I determine if my videocard has the features to use this? My Dell Zino 410 which is my htpc has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450 MXM Discrete Graphics Card and the cpu is AMD Athlon™ II X2 P360, 2.3GHz, Dual Core 1MB. (obviously I don't have the Intel Sandy Bridge but wasn't sure if was still a possibility...the pc needs all the help it can get converting shows to the high quality mkv which can take 10 hours for a one hour show sometimes.
Coordinator
Sep 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM
yes, with the latest 2.3.14 BETA you can download separately the CLI version of handbrake which supports QuickSync respectively and then use the above commands to create a custom profile to use with that version of handbrakecli (which need to be put in the handbrake folder).

You will need an Intel Sandy Bridge or later chipset to use QuickSync and the latest Intel Graphics drivers for QuickSync support. You are using ATI, you can try the OpenCL version of Handbrake (it has different commands instead of qsv_h264, see the handbrake website). However note that the OpenCL version does not support encoding for now, it just support deinterlacing and scaling for now. Encoding is slated for a future enhancement.
Nov 14, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Anyone tried this yet. I'd very much like to get the transcoding in hardware
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Mark,

Try this thread Here
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 1:11 AM