This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Linux Version

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:29 AM
I am a Early Access Subscriber, I would love to see a Linux version. I am sick of windows to be honest. To much bloat, malware, issues, and Micro$oft is doing really stupid things these days. Mac and Android (Linux) is ripping them a new one and I would love to make the switch. I use MCE Buddy though and gotta have it...
Coordinator
Jul 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM
I don't see it happening anytime soon. Couple of reasons:
  1. Migration effort even using Mono us huge since there are DLL's and pInvoke's involved which are not supported
  2. Underlying components like MediaInfo, Handbrake,, mp4box, mkvmerge etc all need to have linux equivalents. - I don't think all the components have linux builds.
If anyone wants to attempt this, I would highly reccomend look at point 2 first (open the MCEBuddy installation and see all the folders there).
Mar 8, 2015 at 6:35 PM
rboy1 wrote:
I don't see it happening anytime soon. Couple of reasons:
  1. Migration effort even using Mono us huge since there are DLL's and pInvoke's involved which are not supported
  2. Underlying components like MediaInfo, Handbrake,, mp4box, mkvmerge etc all need to have linux equivalents. - I don't think all the components have linux builds.
If anyone wants to attempt this, I would highly reccomend look at point 2 first (open the MCEBuddy installation and see all the folders there).
Regarding 2 is there a list with all the components that MCEBuddy needs?
From I could find i see that it is possible to build a linux version for:
asfbin
atomicparsley
avidemux
ccextractor
comskip
ffmpeg
handbrake
mencoder
mkvmerge
mp4box
tivodecode
tsmuxer

the only one that doesn't seem to be able to build from source is eac3to but seems it can work using wine.
Coordinator
Mar 8, 2015 at 6:42 PM
Impressive. I think the next step is to figure out pinvokes and the dll calls

But tell me what the advantage of doing this native vs running it through VMware player and win 7? The overhead is very minimal 1% CPU (I have 2 instances running on the same machine) just need LOTS of RAM and a fast disk. (SATA3 Or USB3 should work fine)

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:55 PM
For the end user simplicity the would just need to do a install through their repository:
example for Fedora
yum install MCEBuddy

And no need to get a windows vm running/ licenses. and also i share my raid to my windows vm as smb share, the transcoding process would be much faster if it saw the drive as a local one and not have limitation through network traffic, plus it could use all my available ram and cpu, plus access to my gpu's for transcoding.
Coordinator
Mar 8, 2015 at 7:25 PM
True. Okay now need to figure out how to handle pinvokes and dlls

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:42 PM
What dlls are needed?
I dont know much about pinvokes and dlls as i have never programmed with them. But from what i can tell from Media Browser Server which is build on mono for linux, it is possible to point to shared libraries , .so, that correspond to dll
https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/tree/master/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono

There are .config files which describe tell the program how to map dlls with the system libs.
<configuration>
<dllmap dll="sqlite3" target="libsqlite3.so" os="linux"/>
</configuration>
Mar 8, 2015 at 7:50 PM
Some more documentation on pinvoke
http://www.mono-project.com/docs/advanced/pinvoke/