This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Priorities to tasks, Is this possible?

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Edited Jul 29, 2013 at 3:09 AM
Is it possible to assign priorities to tasks. Basically have certain tasks enter the queue at the top and a different task enter the queue at the bottom?

For example, if I have one task where I simply have MCE buddy rename and reorganize my .wtv files, can I have this task have priority over another where I use MCE buddy to re-encode those files into MP4's?

I'd like a way to have my WTV files renamed/reorganized first and then, assuming there were no more renamings to do, have MCE buddy use processor time to re-encode everything. This would be ideal as then I could have everything easily readable by plex instantly (plex does .wtv fine) and have everything re-encoded for smaller storage when time allows.

Hopefully that makes sense. Not sure if this is possible or not, but doesn't seem like it would be impossible to add. I've already donated, but will gladly redonate, as this would make it the "perfect" app for turning plex (and my multiple Roku's) into an awesome DVR.

Thanks,

-Dave
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM
There is already levels of prioritization setup within MCEBuddy.

1. Priority is driven by the queue. the queue is showing the MCEBuddy status page AND can be MODIFIED MANUALLY by reordering the tasks (dragging up or down).
2. When adding tasks to the queue, MCEBuddy will take the first task listed in the Settings Page Conversion Tasks section and then the second etc. So for EACH file MCEBuddy will add all the tasks in the shown order to the queue. So if you want the reorder the tasks, then change the order of the conversions tasks in the settings page.

Does that answer your question?

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Somewhat, I was aware of the manual re-ordering and how tasks are added to the queue. What I am trying to do is probably a bit weird, but I'd really like is so that as soon as a new file is found, one task is immediately put at the front of the queue, while others are done later.

For example, say I have the following queue.

Video 1 - Rename
Video 2 - Rename
Video 3 - Rename
Video 1 - Re-encode
Video 2 - Re-encode
Video 3 - Re-encode

Right now if a new video is detected/added (say video 4) the queue will become (as you described):

Video 1 - Rename
Video 2 - Rename
Video 3 - Rename
Video 1 - Re-encode
Video 2 - Re-encode
Video 3 - Re-encode
Video 4 - Rename
Video 4 - Re-encode

This is indeed what happens. However what would be ideal for my setup would be the following:

Video 4 - Rename
Video 1 - Rename
Video 2 - Rename
Video 3 - Rename
Video 1 - Re-encode
Video 2 - Re-encode
Video 3 - Re-encode
Video 4 - Re-encode

Basically if there was a setting to tell a task to "jump to the front fo the queue" that would be ideal.

As this would ensure that MCE would rapidly rename any files, while maintaining a large queue of re-encodings that it will get to later as processor time allows. Obviously if I restart MCE buddy/reset the queue everything lines up correctly or I can get things to work manually, its just not quite right if I want to set it up in "set and forget" mode. Again, not sure if possible, and if its not this is still a great app that I love supporting.
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Not there at present, but open a issue enhancement request and I'll look into it sometime. Provide as much details as possible on you want it to work and how the user interface should look
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2014 at 8:06 PM
So with the new BETA build now:
a. Added support to change conversion tasks order by moving up or down

So now you can reorder your conversion tasks easily to move higher priority tasks up and lower down. Files are added to the queue in order of the conversion tasks.
This coupled with the Expert Settings in the task, top of queue or bottom (default) should give you the flexbility you need to create custom orders.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/23/2014 at 1:06 PM