Not preventing standby

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM
I'm using 2.3 Release 12 and I note the changelog says

What's new in MCEBuddy 2.1 Release 3:
· Added support to prevent system from sleeping during active conversions.

but it's not working for me. I have MCEBuddy set to run between 22:00 and 09:00 and this evening it woke at 22:00 but then went back to standby at 22:01:52, even though my standby time is set to 15mins. The other evening before I set the time window, I started it and it went to standby whilst it was doing the conversion.
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM
LOG file, said a million times, I can't do anything without log file. You'll be surprised 99.99% of the time people just mess up the configuration.
post mcebuddy.log
Aug 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Yeah sorry, it's at http://pastebin.com/70N26g5h

Can't post the conversion logs as they're 30MB though and I there doesn't appear to be any way to attach a zip of them here.
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2013 at 3:09 AM
according to the logs you've configured MCEBuddy to ALLOW it to go to sleep during conversions, you need to uncheck the box to prevent it from sleeping:
Allow Sleep During Conversions -> True
Aug 20, 2013 at 4:34 AM
rboy1 wrote:
according to the logs you've configured MCEBuddy to ALLOW it to go to sleep during conversions, you need to uncheck the box to prevent it from sleeping:
Allow Sleep During Conversions -> True
Weird. I don't even recall seeing that option, let alone changing it. Not sure it makes much sense to have it anyway, who would WANT the PC to go to sleep in the middle of conversions?
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2013 at 5:28 AM
me
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2013 at 5:30 AM
when i hit sleep on my htpc at night at bedtime i want it to sleep - conversion or no conversion. I would suggest you spend more time exploring the options and thinking about how to use them effectively.
Aug 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I didn't even think there would be an option to allow it to sleep in the middle of conversions, thus breaking them and having to restart them again next time, so I didn't look for it.
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM
It doesn't break the conversion, only pauses them and resume's.

Doing forward with the 2.3.14 builds conversions are not stopped unless the user stops them, they are paused for events and then resumed.
Aug 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Well it didn't pause them when it went to sleep for me.

I'm not clear if you're saying this is only the case with 2.3.14 as you seem to be saying that you've changed something in that version, so the implication is that in previous versions they are stopped, not paused.
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM
yes

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I've noticed the behavior that my Windows 7 system will go to sleep even though I had unchecked 'Allow Sleep' going back many months, perhaps even a year.

I've not looked at it in detail as I have my system set to do some early morning recordings which wakes the system and re-starts the conversions so that I have the records when I want them.

I've not noticed any conversions missed and while I've not dug into it in detail it seems like it pauses and restart the conversions unless the system is going to sleep right at the moment between one conversion finishing and the next starting. I am current running 2.3.13 but have noticed this behavior going back several releases.
Aug 20, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Well with "Allow Sleep" unchecked, I can see that MCEBuddy is showing under powercfg -requests, so that should do the trick.

@lightman2, if your system is still going to sleep, then run that command and check if MCEBuddy is shown (whilst it's converting). If it is and it's still going to sleep, that suggests something is wrong with your Windows Power Options as anything showing a request should prevent sleep (unless you've set an override, which you'd know about but you can check with powercfg -requestsoverride).
Aug 21, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Well it finished the task before going to sleep. I had two queued but it seems it failed to do the first one after 6mins for some reason.

Now it shows Resume on the button though, so does that mean if I put any files in the watched folder, it won't do anything unless I remember to open MCEBuddy and click on Resume?
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2013 at 5:07 AM
It will resume automatically when the start time schedule is reached. Or you can manually click resume to resume it until the next scheduled stop.

This is as of 2.3.14 today's build.