Why REMuxing ?

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Hello Rboy,

I'd like to ask a (stupid) question about Remuxing and why it is necessary. (especially if I do not use Commercial Removing)

I've had couple of BBC1 HD (h.264 in wtv) conversion fail last week only because Fast, Byte and Stream Remuxing failed.
When i feed the file to 0.9.9 handbrake I can convert video just fine to any preset I choose ( I've tried all AppleTV, iPad and iPhone presets and all converted fine).

1, I've removed Slow Remuxing from mceBuddy.conf file because it was adding 2+ hours to every HD conversion. (Slow remuxing adds 1 hour of conversion to 1 hour of recording)

2,Fast Remuxing ALWAYS fails on HD recording but most of the time Byte Remuxing works fine. My recordings are from Freesat UK in raw format. HD recordings are 1080i h.264+wtv. SD are mpeg2+wtv.

So I ask , why is MCEbuddy forcing Remuxing ? If Remuxing wouldnt have to happen in MCEBuddy all failed conversion would convert with handbrake just fine. ( which has priority in my profiles over ffmpeg)
Coordinator
Sep 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Post your logs for the byte muxing that works.

I will explain after I see. I think I know what's going on

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM
can you upload one of the HD files that works with Byte Remuxing (remuxsupp) to the mcebuddy to analyze

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM
I'm uploading failed and working samples to my Dropbox. I will post as soon as they're up there :-)

For now, here are logs from failed conversion:
FAILED REMUXING

and here is recording from same channel (BBC 1 HD)

WORKING REMUXING

As mentioned, both files convert fine in handbrake. They're both from BBC1 HD from Freesat UK source.
About 2 out of 10 HD recordings fail conversion just because Remux failed. ( As mentioned earlier ALL HD recordings fail Fast Remuxing)

Please let me know if there's anything else .... ( I will post links to the files ASAP)
Sep 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM
.. and here is the sample.

WORKING REMUX
Coordinator
Oct 1, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Thanks for reporting this. 2 interesting things:
  1. I didn't know byte remuxing works on H264 video, and that's great news
  2. There was a bug I found, stream and byte remuxing aren't supposed to work unless AllowH264CopyRemuxing=true is defined.
I've fixed the bug in the next beta build. The great news post some lobbying with Erik the owner of Comskip the latest version now support mpegts H264 video. so now in the next beta build I'll turn on the AllowH264CopyRemuxing option by default. You will see a 80% increase in remuxing for H264 video's going forward.

For your situation, you can use the latest BETA build or in your case since you aren't using commercial removal, you can just add
AllowH264CopyRemuxing=true

to your profile and it'll start working fine for the most. If you still encounter an issue with a video pleaes upload the mcebuddy server and I'll look into it.
Oct 1, 2013 at 7:15 AM
As always, big thanks. I will test drive the new version tonight and report back.