This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Need to Blast Metadata Name from mp4 file, Windows Media Connect name problems...

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM
So I watch my MCEBuddy converted mp4 files on my PS3. When browsing, the shows are only listed by their show name and nothing else. So I have a folder full of items with the title "Mad Men", for example.

Annoying and problematic.

My home NAS is run from a Windows Home Server box, which serves the files using Windows Media Connect. This service ignores the filenames, and only serves the files using the Metadata show Title. It is the same from any other network player -- they only see the Metadata Title, which has no episode information. When the metadata Title is removed, then the devices display the file name (which includes episode information).

So I thought I would just blast the metadata Title using a custom command. Using "Custom CommandPath" (yes, using all four config lines), I instructed ffmpeg to remove the metadata field. Unfortunately, this does not work, as it appears the overall MCEBuddy regenerates the metadata. I also don't want to use the "PostCustomCommandPath" as the file has already been moved to the NAS, and I don't want to saturate the network with two move file operations nor trust ffmpeg to work over a file share reliably.

Any tips?
Coordinator
Oct 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM
MCEBuddy write the metadata to teh file BEFORE running CustomCommand so if your ffmpeg command (why ffmpeg, why not mp4box??) is working correct it should strip the Title.

MCEBuddy only writes the metadata to the file once, just after conversion before CustomCommand.

Also, you saying you don't want ANY metadata in the converted file?
Coordinator
Oct 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Try the new build I've added an option to disable writing metadata to the converted file.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 9:12 AM
Oct 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Thank you for the quick fix, I'll check it out!

I've been thinking it might better to insert episode info into the Metadata title. Maybe I'll try a mp4box custom command as an alternate.