Compressing a WTV and leaving it a WTV

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM
I am trying to figure out if what I want to do is even possible with MCEBuddy, perhaps someone can clue me in.

I have a bunch of WTV files that I want to keep, but I would like to have them compressed, but directly viewable via Windows 7 Media Center in the Recorded TV section. It is my understanding, perhaps incorrectly, that a WTV file can contain either an MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 video stream. A typical half hour WTV file for me is 2GB+ and that same file converted to a mp4 is about a quarter of that size. My problem is that when I drop the mp4 file back in the "Recorded TV" folder, MCE does not see it. I am guessing it needs to be wrapped with a WTV file to get it to show up.

I understand I can get the mp4 file to show up under Videos in MCE, but I would prefer not to go that route as it is more "out of sight out of mind" for me there.

Is this even possible?
Coordinator
Oct 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Not that I am aware of. Mcebuddy currently does not support mpeg4 wtv due to ffmpeg limitation (feel free to click on the need support thread and vote the ffmpeg team to provide support for it). And as you can see only wtv files show up in the recorded folder.

I use media browser plugin instead to watch all the video files

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Thanks rboy1 for your reply. One other question though is, you said to "...click on the need support thread..." Uh, where? I don't see it on the ffmpeg.org site or on this mcebuddy2x one. What am I missing?
Coordinator
Oct 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Just updated the page of issues

Vote for both since they both impact the playback of wtv in windows

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM
OK, got it. I registered and voted them both up. Interesting though, ticket 1945 is marked as "closed enhancement: duplicate". I followed their link to ticket 536 and up-voted that one too. Kind of surprised that I was the first to up-vote 1945 and the second to up-vote 2835!

Thanks for you help,
Jim
Oct 29, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Oh, two last things. You may want to visit the tickets yourself. There are no arrows that fit the description "Green Arrow under the Roadmap button". Then, on your page https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/406867, you may want to ask folks to "click on the Vote button" instead of, well--ick, now my screen is smeared! :-)
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Latest version of mcebuddy supports wtv h.264 now
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 9:10 AM