This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Calling folks from Europe and Australia - Teletext

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Folks, I"m trying to get MCEBuddy to support extracting Teletext from WTV files into a SRT subtitle format.

I've developed the code but I need some sample files (even small ones, 5 minutes should do).

Looking for users from Australia and Europe who can record small video's with Teletext and upload htem to the MCEBuddy server or even an external server and post the link here would be much apprecaited.

Thanks
Rboy
Dec 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Rboy, this is prob a bit late but let me know if you still need some sample files from AU.
Dec 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM
yes I am thanks.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM
quick question - do yo know if the teletext in your file is a bitmap image or a text stream?

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:54 PM
We are looking for some more samples from Europe and Australia (about 200MB - 300MB) of WTV files with Teletext. Can anyone record a short clip WITH Teletext and send us a link or upload them to the MCEBuddy server. We are testing some new code to extract them into subtitles.
Aug 28, 2014 at 2:22 PM
I will upload something to Dropbox this weekend and post back.

My captures are from UK's Freesat service, (DVB-S/S2) and I will make sure there are some subtitles in MCE.
Jan 26, 2015 at 9:10 PM
Still in need for any recorded samples?
Jan 27, 2015 at 2:29 PM
yes would help (small ones are fine a few 100MB)
Jan 28, 2015 at 8:16 PM
Fine, do you have somewhere I could upload the files?
Jan 28, 2015 at 8:51 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2015 at 8:59 PM
Apr 20, 2015 at 8:59 AM
Is there any activity on supporting subtitles with teletext?
Apr 20, 2015 at 2:47 PM
Very little to be honest. We need more samples to test and work on. We only have 1 short sample.

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:22 PM
I can provide you with what you need. Exactly how many samples and which size do you need.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/epjmu8mu6a56k04/Ekstremfiskeren_Discovery_2015_01_28_21_33_09.wtv?dl=0

This link is still valid and I can add whatever you desire
Apr 25, 2015 at 6:25 PM
It would be great if you can upload the samples to the mcebuddy server. Please see the read me before posting thread for server details and instructions.

Please create a directory before uploading.
Small samples are fine 2-3 of them about 200 mb

May 3, 2015 at 4:58 PM
Uploaded some samples to mcebuddy server
Folder: discussion465663_Teletext_subtitles_samples/
May 6, 2015 at 3:14 PM
Is the uploaded samples sufficient, or do you need some more?
May 6, 2015 at 7:11 PM
that's good for now, thanks. Will get back to you.

May 26, 2015 at 6:33 PM
Do you think this will be on the to do list for upcoming releases. If difficult to extract subtitles separately an option of burning the subtitles into the compressed version had been useful
May 29, 2015 at 7:04 PM
Burning of subtitles is supported. See the documentation on how to use it.
Jun 6, 2015 at 10:39 PM
Edited Jun 6, 2015 at 10:56 PM
Yes, I'm aware of the burning of subtitles, but I cant see that it is possible to extract and burn the norwegian subtitles int the wtv files I have uploaded. I believe that this are of the bitmap type. Of course it might be that I'm doing something wrong, but from my understanding of this thread, subtitles of bitmap type is not yet supported for burning or extraction
Jun 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM
Yes they can be burned using handbrake BEFORE they are remuxed into the WTV container. You will need a custom profile for this, just add the subtitle burning to the profile that uses handbrake to convert the file to WTV format. (obviously you can't use an unprocessed profile here).

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:28 PM
Sorry, but I just don't get this. Maybe this question does no longer appropriate for this thread, but if there is another forum, or thread I should look into please give me an advice
So, just to make sure that I'm asking the right questions:

My starting point is a WTV file. MceBuddy recognizes the available subbitle:

Subtitle 1

Language : Norwegian (nor)
Codec : libzvbi_teletextdec

I have enabled "extracting Subtitle and Closed Captions" in MceBuddy, and as a test added
SubtitleBurn=true to all the profiles in profiles.conf.
I have read your documentation but I still feel I'm missing some pieces in order to understand this and make this work.
F.ex, where is the information of which subtitle to burn?
What do you mean by "it can be burned using handbrake BEFORE remuxed into the WTV container"

Can you describe in more details each of the steps involved, which files and selections in the GUI needed to be set to acheve this?
Or, point me into a direction where I can find some more documentation/descriptions that can help me understand how to do this?
Jun 8, 2015 at 6:47 PM
probably better if you start a new thread. Also post a link or upload your conversion log for reference while you explain what you're trying to do and what you're seeing.