Subtitle from original WTV file not copied to converted file

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:30 AM
If you look at the file properties (in Windows, place cursor on file, right click, select "Properties") of a .wtv file for a TV show, you will see field values for "Title" (name of show) and "Subtitle" (name of episode). When this file is converted to an .mp4 file, only the "Title" (name of show) value is copied over, not the "Subtitle" value.

Is it possible to have both values copied? That is, copy both Title and Subtitle fields from source to converted file?

Or, even better, give the end user the ability to determine if Source Title OR Source Subtitle (in the case of TV shows, this will be the episode title) should be copied to the Converted Title field.

I'm not sure about other software, but it appears that the Plex Media Server needs to see the episode title in the file properties "Title" field for TV shows in order to correctly display the episode title in it's output.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Dec 2, 2013 at 2:57 AM
MP4 format specifications does have any subtitle field.

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:18 AM
I could be talking about something totally different, but below is a link to an image of an mp4 file that was created from a Windows Media Center wtv source file by MCEBuddy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Ep0Y1FILulY3JwdURYVWpnN1U/edit?usp=sharing

Or, is it that programmatic-ally it can't be done, but the Windows 7 OS creates the field, after the fact, once the mp4 file is created?

Anyway, it would be nice if it could be done. In any event, I love the program. It does a great deal of what I need done.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Dec 2, 2013 at 5:49 AM
Yes I know what you're talking about, it's something I've tried hard to figure out how to do programtically but since the specifications don't support it there is no tool I know of which can do this. However using the windows property window it is possible to set it manually.
If you know of any method or tool to do this let me know and I can include the support for it.

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2013 at 6:18 AM
as far as I know only the following mp4 metadata tags are defined:

Tag Name Type
Name string
Artist string
Album Artist string
Album string
Grouping string
Composer string
Comments string
Genre string
Release Date YYYY-MM-DD string
Track # track#/totalTracks# string
Disk # disk#/totalDisks# string
TV Show string
TV Episode # string
TV Network string
TV Episode ID number
TV Season string
Description string
Long Description string
Rating string, see the table below
Rating Annotation string
Studio string
Cast string
Director string
Codirector string
Producers string
Screenwriters string
Lyrics string
Copyright string
Encoding Tool string
Encoded By string
contentID string
HD Video bool
Gapless bool
Content Rating string, see the table below
Media Kind string, see the table below
Artwork string, path to the file

MCEBuddy supports most of these. If there is something missing let me know.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Found a command line tool which can be used to modify file properties and metatags in mp4 files.

Atomic Parsley
http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/

It's pretty old, but I tested it and it works. I also discovered the metadata tag that Windows 7 converts to "Title" in file properties: It is identified below as "cname".

Here are the results of 1 test I did:

This command lists all the metadata tags in the file:

J:\Test>J:\AtomicParsley\AtomicParsley "I Spy-S01E17-Always Say Goodbye.mp4" -t

Atom "ctoo" contains: MCEBuddy
Atom "cnam" contains: I Spy
Atom "tvsh" contains: I Spy
Atom "stik" contains: TV Show
Atom "tven" contains: Always Say Goodbye
Atom "tvsn" contains: 1
Atom "tves" contains: 17
Atom "tvnn" contains: KNBCDT2 (KNBC-DT2)
Atom "gnre" contains: Comedy
Atom "cday" contains: 1966-01-26T00:00:00Z
Atom "desc" contains: The U.S. delegate's hunt for his long-lost love (France Nuyen) endangers a Japanese-American financial conference.
Atom "ldes" contains: The U.S. delegate's hunt for his long-lost love (France Nuyen) endangers a Japanese-American financial conference.
Atom "ccmt" contains: The U.S. delegate's hunt for his long-lost love (France Nuyen) endangers a Japanese-American financial conference.
Atom "covr" contains: 1 piece of artwork

This command inserts the property value I want into a duplicate temp file (here I am changing the Title tag to "Always Say Hello"):

J:\Test>J:\AtomicParsley\AtomicParsley "I Spy-S01E17-Always Say Goodbye.mp4" -- title "Always Say Hello"

Started writing to temp file.
Progress: =============================================>100%|
Finished writing to temp file.

Now I am listing all the metadata tags in the new temp copy file:

J:\Test>J:\AtomicParsley\AtomicParsley "I Spy-S01E17-Always Say Goodbye-temp-16081.mp4" -t

Atom "ctoo" contains: MCEBuddy
Atom "cnam" contains: Always Say Hello (this is also now the value of "Title" in the Windows file properties for this file)
Atom "tvsh" contains: I Spy
Atom "stik" contains: TV Show
Atom "tven" contains: Always Say Goodbye
Atom "tvsn" contains: 1
Atom "tves" contains: 17
Atom "tvnn" contains: KNBCDT2 (KNBC-DT2)
Atom "gnre" contains: Comedy
Atom "cday" contains: 1966-01-26T00:00:00Z
Atom "desc" contains: The U.S. delegate's hunt for his long-lost love (France Nuyen) endangers a Japanese-American financial conference.
Atom "ldes" contains: The U.S. delegate's hunt for his long-lost love (France Nuyen) endangers a Japanese-American financial conference.
Atom "ccmt" contains: The U.S. delegate's hunt for his long-lost love (France Nuyen) endangers a Japanese-American financial conference.
Atom "covr" contains: 1 piece of artwork

Somehow being able to get this to work with MCEBuddy would give us a couple more options and make life much easier for those of us working with Plex.
Coordinator
Dec 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I don't understand what you're askin for. Mcebuddy uses atomic parsley to write the tags. Your original request was for a subtitle tag and atomic parsley does not support subtitles.

If you want to replace the title with the subtitle information you can do so using the custom command option. Search the forum and you'll find the information posted by other users to achieve this.

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Yes, "replace the title with the subtitle information" in the output file is exactly what I want to do. Glad to hear MCEBuddy already supports it! I will search for the info.

Thanks for your attention to this matter. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear from the start.

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM
I have done this to make it display correctly on my appletv. Here is a section from my profile in case it helps:

CustomCommandPath="C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\atomicparsley\Atomicparsley.exe"
CustomCommandParameters=""%convertedfile%" --title "%episodename%" --overWrite""
CustomCommandHangPeriod=200
CustomCommandCritical=false
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 1:06 AM
Dec 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Exactly the solution I was looking for. Thank you stodly so very much!