This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

WMC SubTitle Tag is being Changed by MCEBuddy

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM
Hi. I see that MCEB ignored and changed the Subtitle tag from one of my WMC .wtv files during conversion. The log (linked below) seems to say that MCEB correctly read the subtitle from the .wtv file, but then looked up a new tag, which was wrong, on TV.com and substituted it for the correct subtitle in the converted file name. In this case, two episodes of the same show aired back-to-back on the same network, so it was an understandable mistake. But why would MCEB go looking for a subtitle on the internet, when it was correctly found right in the source video file?

In addition to having a wrong episode name (and episode number, too, I think) in the converted file, the larger problem is that the second episode of the show from that night failed to convert at all - when MCEB tried, it found that the file name already existed due to the first episode having been incorrectly file-named, due to the TV.com error.

I suspect I can partially work around this by adding the source filename to the custom renaming of my converted files - at least then filenames won't get duplicated and cause conversion failures. But would appreciate any better solution, or at least help understanding why this is happening. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2l0v2bi0qlzi3wz/Once%20Upon%20a%20Time_KABCDT_2013_09_29_18_59_00.wtv-Convert%20to%20MP4-2013-11-29T19-10-24.1051002-08-00.log
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2013 at 3:38 AM
I will need to look into this for the subtitle change. Can you upload the first 10mb chunk of the original wtv file to the mcebuddy server. Just the first 10mb chunk. You can use the file splitter on the server.

Regarding the overwriting. Mcebuddy by default overwrites any destination file with the same name unless it is locked by another process. Do you have the log file for the failure?

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:18 AM
Thank you. Chunk is uploaded, in the SRT directory on the server.

Below is a link to the log for the failed conversion. I see this line near the end of the log:
--> Unable to move file C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\working0\Once Upon a Time 20130929 The Heart of the Truest Believer S03E01.mkv to E:\NewConversions. Error :System.IO.IOException: The file exists.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj0lromkahm32cq/Once%20Upon%20a%20Time_KABCDT_2013_09_29_20_00_00.wtv-Convert%20to%20MP4-2013-12-01T20-21-43.4199460-08-00.log
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM
did you upload the right file?

with the file you've uploaded I don't see any issues in downloading the metadata.

2013-12-04T06:30:17 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Video Tags extracted ->
Title: The King of Queens
SubTitle: No Retreat
Description: Arthur is left to fend for himself when Doug and Carrie go on her company retreat with a group of boring lawyers.
Network: WPCWDT (WPCW-DT)
Parental Rating: TV-PG
Media Credits: Kevin James/Leah Remini/Jerry Stiller/Victor Williams;Rob Schiller;;Gary Valentine/Alex Skuby/Victor Raid-Wexler/Michael Kostroff/Steve O'Connor/Jackie Flynn
Genres: Comedy,Series
Season: 0
Episode: 0
Banner:
Banner URL:
IMDB MovieId:
MovieDB MovieId:
TVDB SeriesId:
Is Show Movie: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2001-10-22T00:00:00
RecordedDateTime: 2013-05-04T16:59:01
SeriesPremiereDate: 1899-12-31T19:00:00
CopyProtected: False

2013-12-04T06:30:17 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking for metadata title and series correction
INFORMATION> 2013-12-04T06:30:17 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Downloading Series details
INFORMATION> 2013-12-04T06:30:17 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Recording Type Show
INFORMATION> 2013-12-04T06:30:17 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking TheTVDB
INFORMATION> 2013-12-04T06:30:18 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking TV.com
WARNING> 2013-12-04T06:30:20 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> TV.com failed
2013-12-04T06:30:20 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Updated Video Tags after downloading details ->
Title: The King of Queens
SubTitle: No Retreat
Description: Arthur is left to fend for himself when Doug and Carrie go on her company retreat with a group of boring lawyers.
Network: WPCWDT (WPCW-DT)
Parental Rating: TV-PG
Media Credits: Kevin James/Leah Remini/Jerry Stiller/Victor Williams;Rob Schiller;;Gary Valentine/Alex Skuby/Victor Raid-Wexler/Michael Kostroff/Steve O'Connor/Jackie Flynn
Genres: Comedy,Series
Season: 4
Episode: 5
Banner: D:\MCEBuddy\MCEBuddy 2.x\MCEBuddy.ServiceCMD\bin\x86\Debug\cache\The King of Queens.jpg
IMDB MovieId: tt0165581
MovieDB MovieId:
TVDB SeriesId: 73641
Is Show Movie: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2001-10-22T00:00:00
RecordedDateTime: 2013-05-04T16:59:01
SeriesPremiereDate: 1998-09-20T20:00:00
CopyProtected: False

Upload the file where you're facing issues with the subtitle name.

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Atleast the subtitle issue I've figured out for now, MCEBuddy looks like for a title match and subtitle match to get the information. However if also checks for a air date match if it doesn't find a subtitle match. if it find an air date match it assumes the subtitle in the wtv file is incorrect (which is the case in MOST cases) nad then updates it. Here tv.com has the wrong data and hence it ends up giving your wrong data.
This is a typical chicken and egg situation where users have complained that either the wtv data is wrong of the website data is wrong. Hence the solution was the do a match and then if air dates match use the website data.

The reason is that wtv data cannot be corrected, website data can be. I would suggest just goto tv.com and submit an update for the series air date (i.e. correct the air date for the wrong series being downloaded) and it'll solve your problem (as well as help the community :)

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 8:53 AM
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM
BTW your custom command is deleting all files in the config directory. Are you sure that's what you wanted?

c:\program files\mcebuddy2x\config\*

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM
your file move failed because the destination file was locked by anohter process, mcebuddy tries to delete the destination filename before moving it which failed in this case causing the move to fail.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Yes, I uploaded the right file. I put it in the directory "SRT Failure Example" on the server, and the show name is Once Upon a Time (chunk 1).

OK, I'll take a look at TV.com, but from your description above, it sounds like the problem may actually be with MCEBuddy. Matching only the air date would usually work, but in this case, two shows from the same series aired on the same date, and apparently MCEB guessed wrong as to which one was the recorded video. If MCEB matched air time as well as air date, perhaps it would have worked correctly?

I understand WMC can get subtitles wrong also. But I would vote for using the WMC tag in the case of a mismatch - seems more likely to be right, less confusing, and safer - i.e. it will not produce conversion failures like I got here. I suppose if the file had not been locked, and the conversion process simply overwrote my other file as it's supposed to do, the result would have been about the same - I'd have lost one converted file, and kept the other. To prevent this, I'll add source file name to my custom file renaming.

My custom command says this:

del %1
del %2

%1 and %2 are supposed to be the .srt and .edl files. Where are you seeing it delete all \config files?

Thank you for the explanation on the subtitles, much appreciated.
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Unfortunately website don't provide the air time just the date.
In most cases, WMC has the information incorrectly, and like I had explained it's easier to fix a website (most are public contributions anyways) - no way to fix WMC metadata.

However you do raise a good point, what if 2 shows have the same air date - then currently MCEBuddy will take the first show in which case yes it does create a problem. If you have a suggestion on how to handle it would be good, else I need to think about how to handle this situation.

If you scroll to the bottom of your log file you'll see the custom command and see the command being run.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:16 AM
A straightforward fix would be to have MCEB check ALL episodes aired on the specified date for a match with the WMC tags, rather than just checking the first episode it finds and assuming WMC is wrong if it does not happen to match.

I still think it would be even better to drop the website checking entirely. Suppose I recorded and converted the Twilight Zone Marathon - 48 episodes aired on the same date. MCEB will give all 48 shows the same episode tags, and possibly the same file name! This error would happen even if all the tags are correct both in WMC and on TV.com. It's not unusual these days to have multiple episodes shown back-to-back, even for new shows, particularly at the beginning or the end of a season. To me, the beauty of MCEBuddy is that it does one thing extremely well: converting and trimming video files. I do not expect it or want it to try to fix WMC errors - that starts to introduce errors and confusion. Just my 2 cents. Either way, MCEBuddy is awesome!
Dec 5, 2013 at 2:27 AM
I see the command description in the log: c:\program files\mcebuddy2x\config>del ""

I think this is just saying that my batch command file is located in the config directory, which it is. The first command in the batch file is "del %1". This is supposed to translate to "delete the .srt file", but as discussed in a recent thread, MCEB moves the .srt file away to its destination directory before passing the %1 parameter for post processing. As a result, MCEB can't find any .srt file, and just passes a blank parameter (which appears as "" ) to my batch file. When my batch file is unable to find a blank file name, the postcommand times out and MCEB moves on. Nothing is actually deleted, and my config directory still has all the files it is supposed to have. Thanks,
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2013 at 3:12 AM
I think your confusing air date with record date.

The original air date is what is compared - I have never seen more than 2 episodes being premiered on the same date - typically only one.

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Yes, you're right, I was thinking of record date. My mistake.

I have seen 3-4 episodes premiered on the same date, generally when they're cancelled or finishing a season, but it is rare.
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2013 at 5:15 AM
Btw there is a simple solution to your problem. Uncheck download show information from conversion task expert settings and it'll only use the wtv meta data. Note that you won't get series and episodes no in that case.

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Okay I've fixed the TV.com issue, now it'll match the episode name before trying to match the original broadcast air date

You can download the 2.3.15 BETA and try it out
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 8:56 AM