This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

When does '0 age' conversion take place?

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Currently, I have MCEBuddy running in scheduled mode to do my conversions overnight. But I'm toying with a different approach in order to make commercial-free recordings available sooner. If I turn off the schedule and leave the minimum file age at 0, when exactly does MCEBuddy start the conversion? Does MCEBuddy recognize that, while recording is still in progress, that WMC has the file open and wait until the recording is complete? I understand that I could just try this, but I'm currently at work and don't have a setup to test with. And sometimes asking is just easier. Thanks.
Dec 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM
The conversion takes place after the recording is completed. I am presuming it detects the release of the lock by Media Center.

I have run this way for as long as I can recall with good results.

I do have two hard drives, I have Media Center record to one drive and then MCEBuddy place the processed output on a second drive which allows smooth viewing of the MCEBuddy processed output while recording. I have four tuners and can watch TV while all four tuners are in operation and MCEBuddy is processing.
Dec 12, 2013 at 4:47 PM
lightman2 wrote:
The conversion takes place after the recording is completed. I am presuming it detects the release of the lock by Media Center.

I have run this way for as long as I can recall with good results.

I do have two hard drives, I have Media Center record to one drive and then MCEBuddy place the processed output on a second drive which allows smooth viewing of the MCEBuddy processed output while recording. I have four tuners and can watch TV while all four tuners are in operation and MCEBuddy is processing.
That's the information I was looking for, thanks. But one more technical detail that maybe rboy1 can chime in on. Consider the following scenario: WMC is recording a show. Therefore, the file is open by WMC for writing (and reading as well, I would suspect). BEFORE the recording is complete, I start watching it via Plex. Therefore, the file is also open by Plex Media Server (PMS) for reading. If WMC finishes the recording and closes its write handle, but PMS still has the file open for reading (because playback is still in progress), will MCEBuddy start the conversion? Or will it wait for both WMC and PMS to release their claim to the file?

I know this is really getting specific, but I'm trying to write a helper utility for my setup that will be invoked when MCEBuddy's conversion is complete. It will try to do its best to determine if the original (pre-conversion) file is still open for playback; and, if not, delete it and move the converted file to another place PMS will recognize it. Thereby making a commercial-free recording available ASAP. I'm just trying to identify and close as many windows where I may accidentally delete the original file out from under PMS while it is being watched.
Coordinator
Dec 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM
MCEBuddy wants Read access to the file for it to work. It also provides read share access to file it is accessing.

So WMC has a write lock on the file, then read access will fail hence the file is assumed locked.
If Plex opens the file after WMC the question to ask is is Plex opening the file in Read lock mode or Read/Write lock mode? If it opens in Read only mode then MCEBuddy will work with it simultaneously, but if it locks the file for writing or locks it such as not to provide read sharing rights then MCEbuddy will not be able to access it.

Fundamentally MCEBuddy needs and provides 2 things:
1. Read access to the file
2. Read sharing rights (if the file is being written to MCEbuddy will assumed it's locked)

Hope this answers the question

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 8:57 AM
Dec 13, 2013 at 1:29 PM
rboy1 wrote:
MCEBuddy wants Read access to the file for it to work. It also provides read share access to file it is accessing. So WMC has a write lock on the file, then read access will fail hence the file is assumed locked. If Plex opens the file after WMC the question to ask is is Plex opening the file in Read lock mode or Read/Write lock mode? If it opens in Read only mode then MCEBuddy will work with it simultaneously, but if it locks the file for writing or locks it such as not to provide read sharing rights then MCEbuddy will not be able to access it. Fundamentally MCEBuddy needs and provides 2 things: 1. Read access to the file 2. Read sharing rights (if the file is being written to MCEbuddy will assumed it's locked) Hope this answers the question
It answers it perfectly, thanks.