This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Start/Stop Audio for Most CODECs (and Video too for some CODECs)

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Edited Dec 16, 2013 at 1:17 AM
I had issues with on/off pulsing audio on some content. After no success with setting a fixed frame rate (-r 30*1000/1001), I opted to do full uninstall, then a clean install according to the FAQ. I then had issues with video start/stop as well. As a roll of the dice, I installed the K-lite CODEC pack. Basically the same result...

In summary, here are results vs. output type as displayed in WMP and VLC:
  • M4V: Video OK, pulsing audio on problematic files
  • MP4: Video and audio pulsing on problematic files
  • MKV: Video and audio pulsing on problematic files
  • WTV uncompressed: Windows Media Player audio is OK, no video. VLC has start/stop video/audio.
  • DIVX AVI: is OK on all files (but not desired)
I have tried unsuccessfully for years to make this work. I was hoping 2.3.13 was the magic number.

General: Win7 X64, using dvr-ms/wtv files, Comskip, Apple M4V output desired

Any input is appreciated - thanks.
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM
first of all using codec packs with Windows 7 is a very bad idea. Codecs packs are almost never designed to work seamlessly with windows and end up messing thing (feel free to browse the forum and see comments from other users - as recent as 2 days ago).

1. I would suggest start wtih a clean install of Windows (no you can't uninstall codecs packs they permanently damage the registry and setup).

2. Update to 2.3.14, there are many fixes to stuttering audio and video with newer version of the encoder

3. Then if you're still facing a problem upload a copy of the original wtv/dvrms video to dropbox and post the link here.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 8:52 AM
Dec 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM
I uninstalled the CODEC pack, did a system restore to clean that up, and then installed 2.3.14. The new version is working well, thanks!

There is an intermittent audio delay issue, but I have yet to try any of the tweaks.