This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Slow Conversion on 2 core processor

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM
I am running windows 8.1 with media center with a 32 bit 3.00 Gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. MCEBuddy converts very slowly. I was running an older version and recently upgraded to Beta 15. Version seems to make no difference. Any idea what my problem could be?
Coordinator
Dec 31, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Are you running this on a laptop? If so, which make?
I'm assuming you've set the priority to low to run other tasks in the background.

Coordinator
Dec 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Can you upload one conversion log file?
2.3.15 should be faster than set versions but again if you've set the priority to low and are runnin other background tasks depending upon how much CPU time is available the conversion can take a long time or short time.

If please ensure your power adapter is of the right rating. Something I ran into recently. If the power adapter is under rated the bios puts the CPU into throttle mode which cuts the performance by 75% and was severely limiting my available CPU power. Unfortunately the only way to tell this is to run a program like CPUZ and see the CPU speed and it never reaches the rated speed (not utilization) it's being throttled.

Also with windows , if you are in power saver profile - windows limits the CPU to 50% speed capacity no matter what you max CPU utilization is set to. Please note CPU utilization and speed are different. In power saver profile Speed is reduced (even when plugged in) so CPU utilization will increase for the same tasks. Ensure you are NOT set to power saver profile even if plugged in.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 8:48 AM
Jan 3, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Thanks for your advice. My processor is running at half speed even after adjusting win 8.1 settings. Also getting CPU overheat warnings at boot. Have decided to upgrade CPU and mother board. Should be good to go in a few days.

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2014 at 2:00 AM
I ensure I clear my fan vents every 2 months using compressed air. You will be amazed at how much dust can clog up those vents and causing overheating which cause the CPU to throttle down.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 8:48 AM
Jan 3, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Good idea. Although l didn't have much accumulation when I was in there recently. Honestly I am excited to have an excuse to upgrade my system.