This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Using Another MCEBuddy Engine

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM
Edited Jan 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM
MCEBuddy is GREAT - I can make my favorite TV shows portable and without 25% of the time wasted on advertisements.

On my HTPC, I can add a show to the queue in the upper box and MCEBuddy starts processing right away. I am confident it is working fine.

However, my HTPC (call it HTPC) is slow. I have a second PC (call it PC) on my home network which is much faster. I want to have my HTPC use the MCEBuddy engine on PC to process the files to mp4 and then put them back on the HTPC. On HTPC, I can use Windows Explorer and access the PC with \\PC and vice versa to \\HTPC (so I think I can use 'PC' as the name of the engine). I clicked the "Click here to connect to another mcebuddy engine" and changed 'localhost' to 'PC' (without quotes). I left the port numbers with the default numbers. I did not get an error. (I originally had different versions on the two computers and it told me so.) so far so good....

Now, with MCEBuddy running on both PC and HTPC... On HTPC, I used the Add button to add a TV show to the queue in the upper box. However, it never appears. No matter whether it monitors the MCE folder for new shows or if I manually add a show, nothing gets added to the queue.

Can you help? What am I doing wrong?
Coordinator
Jan 22, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Post the mcebuddy.log from the engine you are trying to add the file.

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:26 AM
I uploaded the files to the FTP site. Folder name is "Discussion - 520393 - Using another MCEBuddy Engine".

I cleared the log file, rebooted, restarted MCEBuddy using the HTPC as the host. It started processing a show that was in queue. I stopped it and clicked to change the engine to PC (DCAVE in the log). The unprocessed show was not added to the queue. I manually tried to add a show to the queue. I changed the engine back to localhost and it immediately started the unprocessed show. I added the same show to the queue and it appears in the "to do" list.
Coordinator
Jan 23, 2014 at 6:59 AM
are you confusing engines and gui? the gui is just a front end. it connects to different engines. just because you can add a file to a localhost doesn't mean you can add a file to a remote engine.
When the file path is passed to the remote engine, if you' using a local file it will pass it as C:\XXXX on the remote engine there is no file such as C:\XXXX so it won't work where as for the local engine it will work.

Remote engine is used primarily for conffiguration and status checks. It can be used to add network UNC files if the remote engine has been configured to access those remote UNC's You cannot add local file to a remote engine.if you need to add local files, convert it to a UNC and then add it. So open the file like \\localmachinename\xx\yy.wtv and add that and ensure that the remote engine has been configured to access \\localmachinesname

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 1:20 AM
Jan 26, 2014 at 7:32 PM
OK. My misunderstanding then. I thought the two would act more like a like a Master and Slave. I could have the HTPC record the show and then pass it off the higher powered PC to run it through MCEBuddy and hand it back.

I will still need to play with it a bit more.