This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Choosing Between ffmpeg/mencoder/handbrake and best settings

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Wondering if anyone can share suggestions for choosing the best encoder, or highlight what any main differences are.

I mostly use handbrake for converting my DVDs and Blurays, so I'm very familiar with that, but only through the GUI.

I use MCEBuddy for removing commercials and encoding my TV shows, but recently started experimenting with the encodes from the premium movie channels.

I normally use RF22 for the compression level in handbrake, but have stuck with the default FFMPEG so far in MCEBuddy.

I'm curious what settings would be most similar to RF22 or when/why I might want to switch to mencoder or handbrake as the encoder within MCEBuddy.

thanks!
Jan 30, 2014 at 4:49 PM
One reason is nuances. Eg ffmoeg created files have issues with Samsung tv. So I use handbrake profiles.

Other hand ffmpeg is more stable on a wider variety of files.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/17/2014 at 6:52 AM
Jan 30, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Gotcha.

I've been using the MKV High profile to take 1080i movies from Showtime down to btw 3-5GB, which is where most of my bluray rips come in at using RF22 in handbrake. These are 1920x1080 and keep the surround sound mix (mostly AC3 from cable recorded shows).

Been using the MP4 Normal for TV shows that I want to watch on my tablets, and that gets the movies down to about 1 - 1.5 GB, with just a stereo mix.

Overall, I'm very happy with the results, and am looking to see if I can squeeze out any more performance out of it.

Haven't had any probs with my Samsung, but I mostly use the Plex Media Server, so maybe its transcoding to make the FFFmpeg more compatible.

So in short, if it ain't broke, there's nothing to fix?
Jan 30, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Very true. It's all about personal best. If it works don't finger it.

Btw I use serviio when streaming to my Samsung C Series. It doesn't transcode.