This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Speeding up Commercial Detection, Comskip Donator Installation and Custom INI's

Coordinator
Feb 26, 2014 at 5:48 AM
Edited Mar 3 at 3:02 AM
If your source video has HD MPEG2 video or MPEG-4 (h.264) video then using the DONATOR version of Comskip will speed up commercial detection between 6x and 15x.

The free version of comskip that comes bundled with MCEBuddy limits the processing speed of HD and h.264 video to 0.5x ( half of playback speed).
The DONATOR version of Comskip removes that restriction and can speed up commercial detected between 6x and 15x (depending upon your processor). Essentially the DONATOR version has no limit (the free version is capped to 0.5x in the software).

You can purchase the DONATOR version of Comskip here (Comskip Early Access):
http://www.comskip.org/

OPTION 1:
Once you download the Donator version of Comskip, use the following procedure to setup MCEBuddy to use it:
  1. Extract ALL the donator files (including .INI and all other files) into a directory (e.g. C:\ComskipDonator)
  2. Open MCEBuddy Settings -> General Settings -> System Settings
  3. Click on the ... next to Comskip path
  4. Select the comskip.exe from your Donator directory e.g. C:\ComskipDonator\comskip.exe
  5. Click Ok
NOTE: If you don't extract ALL the files comskip will not work. It needs all the files included in the donator zip file.

OPTION 2:
Alternative you can extract all the files from the Donator comskip zip file to the MCEBuddy Installation directory into the Comskip folder (replace all the files). However note that when you upgrade MCEBuddy or reinstall MCEBuddy it will overwrite this folder with the default free version of bundled Comskip.

It is preferable to follow OPTION 1 instructions, these settings will be preserved/carrier over when you upgrade or reinstall MCEBuddy
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/25/2014 at 9:48 PM
Coordinator
Dec 13, 2014 at 2:20 AM
Edited Dec 13, 2014 at 2:21 AM
Also you can use Custom INI's tweaked for each Country or for each Channel which provide more accurate commercial detection characteristics.

You can find more details on Custom INI's here and how to create, tweak and use them:
https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/433443

Custom INI's contributed by users for various countries and channels are available on the MCEBuddy server. After logging in look for the SHARED_INFORMATION folder and look for the Custom INI folder there.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 12/12/2014 at 6:20 PM
Jan 24, 2016 at 9:19 AM
MCEBuddy version: 2.4.4 64bit - 20160118 (beta)
Comskip donator version: comskip81_089_donators

Option 1 instructions are out of date or incorrect for the latest version. For me it was:
  1. Extract ALL the donator files (including .INI and all other files) into a directory (e.g. C:\ComskipDonator)
  2. Open MCEBuddy Settings -> Expand General Settings -> Click System Settings
  3. Click on the ... next to Comskip path
  4. Select the comskip.exe from your Donator directory e.g. C:\ComskipDonator\comskip.exe
  5. Click Ok
I'm not sure why it only says "General Settings" to open Advanced Settings with no actual header/section called Advanced Settings. If you hover over the up/down arrows, it does say it will open the Advanced Settings, but then its inside General Settings box, where previously it looked like General Settings was empty. I'd recommend a UI change there. Perhaps putting the upper settings inside of a General Settings box and the lower Settings inside of an Advanced Settings box.

I was momentarily confused and took two attempts at configuring the donator comskip because when you click on "Change" under the Conversion tasks, it then shows an Advanced Settings section followed by an Expert Settings box at the bottom. From there, you configure the comskip.ini, but not the .exe. Also, not sure why these two comskip things are in different UI's, but whatever.

Hope this helps to anyone using latest donation versions. I'm new as of today so I don't know at what version this change occurred. I apologize if this is posted elsewhere, but this url is referenced from several places.
Coordinator
Jan 24, 2016 at 2:48 PM
Thanks. Will correct it. Yes over time we have tweaked the UI to make it more friendly and missed updating this piece of documentation.
The exe is common to all tasks where as the ini is specific to each task