This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Questions From An Old Guy

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Using MCE Buddy 2.15.
  1. Using an I7-920 CPU, Hand break runs at 99 percent on low priority. Since this is a quad core, 8 thread CPU is my best choice to restrict threads to Hand break or MCE Buddy or both to relieve the stress on the CPU?
  2. How can I or can I, use MCE Buddy to do the following:

A. ONLY rename the original .wtv file with no other manipulation, keeping it Media Center compatible.
    B. ONLY strip commercials, and rename from the original .wtv file with no other manipulation? Keeping it Media Center compatible.
Here's why. I want to keep essentially 3 copies of each file:
  1. Original File (only renamed for easy access and retrieval in case of corruption)
  2. Plex Copy (renamed, converted and commercials removed)
  3. Window Media Center Copy (original file name, commercial removed)
Excessive? Yes. But I am old and a little crazy, deal with it. 😁
  1. I am thinking of getting an Intel NUC, a neat little mini PC, I am having a hard time deciding between the Haswell I3 vs I5. Thoughts? I3 seems o.k for now, I5 seems to allow a bit of future proofing.
  2. Finally, storage strategy. Thoughts? I was thinking a simple Freenas box, way cheaper than a Drobo or is Drobo/Synology the way to go?
Thanks in advance
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Edited Apr 14, 2014 at 11:44 PM
I'm assuming you've been through the forum since some of these questions have been answered many time extensively. Hence, I'll keep my responses brief.

Mezzum wrote:
Using MCE Buddy 2.15.
  1. Using an I7-920 CPU, Hand break runs at 99 percent on low priority. Since this is a quad core, 8 thread CPU is my best choice to restrict threads to Hand break or MCE Buddy or both to relieve the stress on the CPU?
Use the CPU Limiting checkboxes in the Expert Settings to relieve stress (MCEBuddy doesn't not take up CPU, underlying programs do)
  1. How can I or can I, use MCE Buddy to do the following:

A. ONLY rename the original .wtv file with no other manipulation, keeping it Media Center compatible.
Use the Rename Only/Rename without converting option
 B.  ONLY strip commercials, and rename from the original .wtv file with no other manipulation?  Keeping it Media Center compatible.
Does not make sense, if you remove commercials it's no longer the original file. You have 2 option Rename Without Converting and selecting Comskip (which will create a EDL file) or use the WTV unprocessed profile (cut the commercials without recoding the video).
Here's why. I want to keep essentially 3 copies of each file:
  1. Original File (only renamed for easy access and retrieval in case of corruption)
  2. Plex Copy (renamed, converted and commercials removed)
  3. Window Media Center Copy (original file name, commercial removed)
Excessive? Yes. But I am old and a little crazy, deal with it. ��
  1. I am thinking of getting an Intel NUC, a neat little mini PC, I am having a hard time deciding between the Haswell I3 vs I5. Thoughts? I3 seems o.k for now, I5 seems to allow a bit of future proofing.
If you're on Haswell you can use QuickSync hardware encoding, CPU will not be required
  1. Finally, storage strategy. Thoughts? I was thinking a simple Freenas box, way cheaper than a Drobo or is Drobo/Synology the way to go?
Thanks in advance
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/15/2014 at 3:16 PM