This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Thumbnails on MP4 files

May 28, 2014 at 6:49 AM
I am using 2.3.15 with donator comskip to convert WMC7 movies to MP4. I can view the MP4 movies on the media extender (Xbox360) but I do not have thumbnails or even date or episode info. I converted 5 episodes of Turn (that were in one folder) and all of them just have an plain blue thumbnail that just says TURN in the middle of the thumbnail and nothing else. Is there a way to have them include a thumbnail and or a description.

2nd question
Is there a better file format to convert WTV files to that compresses to the same degree that will include thumbnails and possibly 5.1 audio?
May 28, 2014 at 7:14 AM
mp4 does contain thumbnails if you've checked download and write metadata options. possibly your extender isn't recognizing it.

MKV is another option (MKV and MP4 are just containers) but it doens't support thumbnails.
Regarding 5.1 audio the MP4 profile uses AAC audio which also supports 5.1 (ensure you CHECK the MultiChannel Audio box) where as the MKV profile uses AC3.

You can edit the profile to change the MP4 profile to use AC3 instead of AAC, possibly your extender does not support AAC 5.1 audio.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 5/29/2014 at 6:53 AM
May 30, 2014 at 6:18 AM
I have not had any success with any profile generating a resulting file that will display a thumbnail on the Xbox extender. All I get is a blue tile with the name of the show, no artwork or date./time no episode under the tile. I have tried MP4 normal,WTV,, WTV unprocessed, PS3 and Xbox360. I check and unchecked save and or write metadata,Use MC Naming, skip comskip etc. Can you please post an actual profile of any profile that will end up producing a file that will display a thumbnail. I have been able to play a converted WTV to MP4, WMV and various other formats but never get a thumbnail with artwork or any description. I have seen where it will only display the blue tile with the name on the tile and if I play. It will then show info if I press the info button But I do not ever see the artwork.

I of course see all of the info and artwork on shows recorded by the WMC7 on the Xbox.

Thanks in advance
May 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Does the artwork icon show up I'm your computer for the mp4 profile converted file?

May 31, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Yes it will show up on the windows 7 WMC computer. The shows recorded in the native .wtv file format of course show the art work and season/episode as well on the extender. I have not been able to produce a single file, even unprocessed that will result in displaying the artwork.

I wonder if you can ask this question to your users. Has anybody been able to get a resulting file that displays artwork and show info on the Xbox extender using any type of conversion whether it be: processed,unprocessed, with comskip, without comskip using any one of the profiles? If someone could post a successful profile that would keep everyone from spending hours getting frustrated.
May 31, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Here are some Xbox specs that might provide a clue. I am not smart enough to determine what to do but maybe it would help someone that is.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Frequently asked questions

Q1: What are the details of Xbox 360 Audio Video Interleaved (AVI) support?

A1: Here are Xbox 360 AVI support details:
File extensions: .avi, .divx
Containers: AVI
Video profiles: MPEG-4 Part 2, Simple and Advanced Simple Profile
Video bitrate: 5 megabits per second (Mbps) with resolutions of 1280 x 720 at 30 frames per second (fps)
Audio profiles: Dolby Digital 2 channel and 5.1 channel, MP3
Audio max bitrate: No restrictions
Note See question 11 for more information.
Q2: Can you describe Xbox 360 support for the H.264 standard?

A2: Xbox 360 provides the following H.264 support:
File name extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov
Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
Video profiles: Baseline, main, and high (up to level 4.1) profiles
Video bitrate: 10 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30 fps
Audio profiles: two-channel AAC low complexity (LC)
Q3: What does Xbox 360 support for MPEG-4 Part 2?

A3: Here are the details about Xbox 360 support for MPEG-4:
File name extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov
Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
Video profiles: Simple and Advanced Simple Profile
Video bitrate: 5 Mbps with resolutions of 1280 x 720 at 30 fps
Audio profiles: two-channel AAC low complexity (LC)
Q4: What exactly does Xbox 360 support for WMV (VC-1)?

A4: Here are the details about Xbox 360 support for WMV:
File name extensions: .wmv
Container: asf
Video profiles: WMV7 (WMV1), WMV8 (WMV2), WMV9 (WMV3), VC-1 (WVC1 or WMVA) in simple, main, and advanced up to level 3
Video bitrate: 15 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30 fps
Audio profiles: WMA7/8, WMA 9 Pro (stereo and 5.1), WMA lossless
Q5: Can I mix and match the video and audio codecs outside those defined in questions 1 through 4 above?

A5: No, you cannot. Xbox only supports each audio and video codec in the explicit containers as defined in questions 1 through 4.

Q6: How can I determine if a video file that I’m trying to play conforms to the specifications as described in questions 1 through 4?

A6: You can use a third-party tool to analyze your video files to determine what audio and video codec is used. One popular third-party tool to analyze video files is available at http://www.headbands.com/gspot/.

Q7: How do I create WMV, AVI, H.264, and MPEG-4 content? What encoders does Xbox 360 support?

A7: You can create this content by using one of the many third-party applications that are available. Xbox 360 supports many popular encoders. Specifically, for encoding to WMV, you can use Microsoft Expression Encoder or Windows Media Encoder.

Q8: What specific features of Mpeg-4 Advanced Simple Profile does Xbox 360 support?

A8: Xbox 360 supports Bidirectional Frames (BVOPs), Interlaced Frames, Quarter Pixel Motion Compensation, Global Motion Compensation, and MPEG Quantization.

Q9: What are the different ways to play video content on Xbox 360?

A9: You can play video from a USB 2.0 FAT32 removable drive, from optical media, and by streaming from the Zune software, Windows Media Player 11, or Windows Home Server.

Q10: What are the different video codecs that are supported by all the different ways to play video content on Xbox 360?

A10: See the following table:
Scenario Supported codecs
From USB storage device to Xbox 360 Dashboard video player WMV(Unprotected),
Mpeg4
H.264
AVI
From Windows Media Player 11 to Xbox 360 Dashboard video player WMV(Protected)
WMV(Unprotected)
Mpeg4*
H.264
AVI
From the Zune software to the Xbox 360 Dashboard video player WMV(Unprotected)
Mpeg4
H.264
From Windows Home Server to the Xbox 360 Dashboard video player WMV (protected)
WMV (unprotected)
AVI
From Windows Media Center to an Xbox Media Center Extender WMV (protected)
WMV (unprotected)
Mpeg2

*See question 32 for information about how to configure Windows Media Player to share these file types to Xbox 360.

Q11: What is the "real" max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second that Xbox 360 supports for all the different formats?

A11: Xbox 360 does not specifically block video from playing based on a maximum bit rate, a resolution, or frames per second. The maximums listed previously for each codec are the results from tests for various video playback sources. Higher-rated content will not be blocked, but playback may be less then optimal. Use higher bitrates at your own risk.
Jun 1, 2014 at 4:28 PM
You need separate ArtWork as a JPG file it does not seem to recognize the embedded art work.

A18: For all video types, Xbox 360 will search for a corresponding .jpg file and use that file as the artwork. For example, video1.avi would display the artwork in video1.jpg if it exists. In the absence of this file, for the mp4 container, Xbox will search to determine whether the video file has embedded album artwork and then instead display that art. Please be aware you cannot use this method when streaming from Windows Media Player 11 or the Zune software. See question 21 for more information.

Q19: What is the maximum album artwork size that Xbox 360 supports?

A19: It should not exceed 512 KB for all scenarios. This includes embedding artwork in the mp4 container, storing artwork alongside the file in a separate .jpg container, or streaming from Windows Media Player 11 or the Zune software.

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:02 PM
I do not have separate files for the native .WTV files WMC creates. I know they are not MP4. It says referring to the JPG file "In the absence of this file, for the MP4 container, Xbox will search to determine whether the video file has embedded album artwork and then instead display that art. I do not necessarily have to have them in MP4 (that would be nice). My goal is to remove the commercials and hopefully decrease the file size for archiving the shows/movies.

I can not believe with all the people that are using WMC and Xbox as extenders this has not been resolved, even if it was a less than desirable outcome.
  1. Is there a easy way to spit out an accompanying JPG ?
2 Is there another any other confirmed profile that will work if only to remove the commercials?

The sad thing here is that the MP4 files play fine on the Xbox I just do not know which show episode I am choosing since I only see the blue tile and a single word with the name of the show, so I see sienfeld on 50 tiles and nothing else (no artwork or season/episode info) I can live without the art work but have to have the info.

rboy1: Is there someway you can setup WMC and fix this, It would help many.

I was hoping someone using MCE with WMC and Xbox would chime in here and solve this mystery.
Jun 1, 2014 at 9:37 PM
yes it is possible to modify mcebuddy to copy the artwork as a separate file but that won't help since the artwork is same for all episodes of the same series.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM
done in the next BETA build, in the conversion task -> expert settings, check the Save Metadata option and it'll also save the CoverArt as a JPG file along with the converted file.