This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Movie Metadata

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:46 PM
I am attempting to rip movies and I am trying the naming convention you provide in

https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/432598

I would prefer to use the imdb number just to assure good results but I cannot get it to find the movie no matter how I name the file. I do have tv series working well with the naming convention tvshow_orignalairdate.

logs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5544w9f3b1yu8nf/The%20Green%20Mile_1999.vob-mce%20dvd%20rips%20convert%20rename%20move%20movies1-2014-06-12T16-12-32.9770870-05-00.zip
I have tried
moviename
moviename_(year)
imdb#
what is the exact naming format to use for the imdb#
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2014 at 2:08 AM
That's because you haven't read the post carefully, you are mixing up the order of checking and downloading the metadata from the internet with the file naming convention.

The ONLY file naming format recognized by MCEBuddy is:

SHOWNAME_AIRDATE_AIRTIME.<ext> where AIRDATE is in YYYYMMDD format and AIRTIME is in HHMMHHMM (Start and End) format (AIRTIME is optional)

It uses the showname and original broadcast airdate to download the rest of the information from the internet in the described order.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 6/12/2014 at 6:11 PM
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2014 at 2:11 AM
E.g.
The Ellen DeGeneres Show_20120910_13001400.ts
or
The Ellen DeGeneres Show_20120910.ts
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 6/12/2014 at 6:11 PM
Jun 13, 2014 at 2:30 AM
Sorry I must not have been clear. I mentioned that tv shows were working for me using the naming format you provided. I am not talking about tv shows, I am talking about movies. The example I provided was for a movie called The Green Mile (imdb id is tt0120689). The logs I provided are for that movie and it is not extracting metadata and as a result do not properly create the directory and filename.

In the discussion 432598 you provide the naming for movies as:

Match IMDB.com
a. (optional) - if imdb id given, then force match using that
b. Match show name and episode name (also match AKA's - also known as), case insensitive

I try naming the file with the imdb id tt0120689.vob and no metadata is extracted. I have also tried 0120689.vob. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2014 at 2:41 AM
There is no current mechanism for looking for movies names from titles. You will need to add a simple XML file (use nPVR format). See an earlier thread today. Skip the rest just keep the movie genre tags in the XML file and the title will be parsed from the name. The it should work

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2014 at 5:14 AM
Here is a sample, just name the XML file the same as your video

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<recording>
<genres>
<genre>Movie</genre>
</genres>
</recording>

Or if you'd like you can add more details to it like this (all metadata):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<recording>
<title>Notes on a Scandal</title>
<description>
Adaptation of Zoe Heller's novel about manipulative relationships. Self-styled 'old battleaxe' Barbara befriends new fellow teacher, Sheba, but with ulterior motives, and feels betrayed when the younger woman risks marriage and career by having an affair with underage pupil Steven.
</description>
<original_air_date>2014-06-11</original_air_date>
<genres>
<genre>Movie</genre>
</genres>
</recording>

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Thank you for your help. I decided to use the correction option in mcebuddy using the imdb series id which in this case is tt0519763. For whatever reason this is not working.

014-06-13T00:08:01 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking for metadata title and series correction
2014-06-13T00:08:01 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> One metadata correction option detected, matched Original Title -> , Series forcing TVDB -> , IMDB -> tt0519763
INFORMATION> 2014-06-13T00:08:01 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Downloading Series details
INFORMATION> 2014-06-13T00:08:01 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Recording Type Show
INFORMATION> 2014-06-13T00:08:01 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking TheTVDB
WARNING> 2014-06-13T00:08:01 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> TheTVDB failed
INFORMATION> 2014-06-13T00:08:01 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking TV.com
WARNING> 2014-06-13T00:08:02 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> TV.com failed
INFORMATION> 2014-06-13T00:08:02 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking TMDB.com
WARNING> 2014-06-13T00:08:05 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> TMDB.com failed
INFORMATION> 2014-06-13T00:08:05 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking IMDB
WARNING> 2014-06-13T00:08:05 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> IMDB failed

I have tried this with other imdb# and it only seems to work if tmdb.com has it. If only imdb.com has the number then it fails.
As an example...if I go to themoviedb.com and use the search for tt0519763 it returns nothing but if i go to imdb.com it returns the show.

Please let me know what you think. If you need the complete log I will provide it but right now dropbox.com is down.
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2014 at 12:24 AM
Did you force the show type to movie in the correction options?

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Edited Jun 14, 2014 at 1:26 AM
I tried that as one of the options. Including log file with forced movie and imdb # tt0519763. It almost seems like it is not pulling data from imdb.com

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eq0fqt13vgisoii/forced%20movie.log
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2014 at 1:51 AM
Let me look into this

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2014 at 5:34 AM
so couple of things, the reason it isn't worknig is:
1. tt0519763 is a reference to a series tv show and not a movie (so tmdb look up fails)
2. the imdb api website has gone offline , we will need to rewrite the code to access the imdb website in the next build.

but for now if you get the correct imdb which can be found on the the movie db website it should work.

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:03 AM
Edited Jun 14, 2014 at 6:05 AM
Thank you for looking at this. It would be great if this could work since using the Name_airdate does not always work since some shows with the same name also aired on the same day. That is why I was hoping we could name files with the imdb# and return an exact match every time so I don't have to manually go in and correct the file name after conversion or the metadata. It makes your product foolproof with the search and metadata pull.

One more thought on this. Forcing the show type should not have any bearing on imdb.com finding the show since the search is done with the imdb unique number with no other filters. On imdb.com I can type any imdb # and it will immediately return the show with the id. It doesn't even show you other options, just takes you right to the page. In fact it is not even movies this works with but every episode of virtually every tv show aired has it's own unique imdb #

I guess at the end of the day there is never a better way to pull information then with a unique identifier. I am not saying the other ways are not good but like with the example above this was a tv show that air 2 episodes on the same day so the metadata would not pull correctly. This actually happens more time than a person would think. Giving the option to use a unique identifier like imdb.com # assures me that the correct metadata is there.

I figured it was exactly what you said themoviedb.com does not have the imdb.com numbers for tv episodes since I attempted to search on their site and it was not found and was on imdb. That is what made me think that the software was not properly checking imdb.com.

Thank you for all you do to make our lives better and easier!
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2014 at 3:42 PM
For TV shows I would suggest you use TVDB.com
IMDB.com works great for movies, not so great for TV.

The reason you need to force to Movies is just that, MCEBuddy primarily uses TVDB.com for Shows and TheMovieDB for movies. IMDB is used as a backup ONLY for movies (not for TV Shows) since there is no native way to accessing information from the IMDB website. As good as it is, they are very developer unfriendly and have not provided any API's to access the website.
So we need to rely on third party websites (like imdbapi which was recently sued for screen scraping by IMDB and went offline, which is why MCEBuddy stopped working since it used the website to get the IMDB results). We can't screen scrape IMDB since it's illegal so we need to find alternative ways.
Hence we use other sources like TMDB and TVDB to get the results (and looking at RottenTomatoes.com but they have a limit to 10K requests per day - that's for all MCEbuddy users, over 1M of them). So in the forseeable future it primarily be TVDB and TV.com for TV Shows and TMDB for movies. The rest are backup options given the license limitations.

Now coming to your point of naming the file, how does ShowName_IMDB# help? It may help for movies but it is useless for TV Shows since it won't get the episode details. That's where the airdate comes in, USUALLY there is only one new episode per day aired, that's what it uses to match agaist TVDB air date to get the episode number.

For movie, it just extracts the year to match, but even if the year is not there, the MovieName itself is enough to match it. However there is no way for MCEBuddy to know it's a movie or a tvshow hence for movies the show type needs to be forced.

To Summarize:

For TV Shows/Serials use TVDB# (default show type is shows)
For Movies use TMDB (with IMDB#) and force show type to movie.

If there is not metadata available (XML or WTV etc):
For Movies the filename should be:
Movie.ext
or
Movie_YYYYMMDD.ext
or
Movie_YYYYMMDD_xxx.ext

For TVShows the filename should be:
ShowName_YYYYMMDD.ext
or
ShowName_YYYYMMDD_xxx.ext

(the xxx is ignored).

This will allow it to extract the

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:09 PM
Thank you for taking the time to help me better understand the way MCEBuddy works. Let me address one point I may not have been clear on.

rboy1 quote:

"Now coming to your point of naming the file, how does ShowName_IMDB# help? It may help for movies but it is useless for TV Shows since it won't get the episode details. That's where the airdate comes in, USUALLY there is only one new episode per day aired, that's what it uses to match agaist TVDB air date to get the episode number."

The fact is IMDB.com does have tv episode information. For example the imdb# I gave tt0519763 is for the tv show Battlestar Galactica Season 1 Episode 3 (which happened to premier the same day as episode 4 did) and there is a complete description of the episode. That is the flaw of tvdb. From what I can see they only have the unique identifier of the tv show NOT the episodes. That makes it harder to pull the proper information every time. As far as the naming of the file for MCEBUDDY to process convert and rename my thought was not to name it ShowName_IMDB#.ext my thought was to name it IMBD#.ext before allowing MCEBuddy to do the conversion/rename. Doing so would be a unique identifier for each movie, tv show, special, episode etc and pull the correct metadata every time. As a bonus there would be no need to force show type because it is by definition a unique identifier so it would pull the metadata for that unique identifier number.

This is just a thought and in no way a knock on your fantastic program which I absolutely love. Further if there is no way to get information from imdb.com then the thought is not relevant. Too bad though because imdb is the definitive source for movie and tv information.

Your program is great and you provide the best support I have experienced. Thank you again for your help.
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Let us explore this further.

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Try the next BETA build, this is still work in progress and looking for feedback.

1. Added support to extract IMDB Id from filename in the format MOVIE_IMDBID.<ext> or SHOWNAME_IMDBID.<ext> where IMDBID is the imdb id for the Movie or Episode. The Showname for a series is taken from title, this is only used to match the IMDB Id for the EXACT episode. E.g. Movie_tt0103064.ts or Battlestar Galactica_tt0519763.ts

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:54 PM
Thank you so much. I will test it tonight when I get home from work and provide feedback. I assume the one you want me to test is 64bit 20140617.zip and I should uninstall 2.3.15 before I install the beta . Is that correct?
Coordinator
Jun 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM
yes

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Ok I have been testing with several files and the results have been positive for the most part. I have run into a problem with one conversion. It incorrectly identified the file as Battlestar Galactica (then named and moved it) even though it is titled The Green Mile_tt0120689.mp4. On top of that it did not create a log but seemed to append to the mcebuddy.log file. There was no log created for the conversion itself. Since the Mcebuddy.log file is very large I have copied what I think is the information you need.

2014-06-18T14:55:09 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Checking Metadata for File -> \DISKSTATION\Video\MCE rename move movies\The Green Mile_tt0120689.mp4, Conversion Task ->mce rename move movies1
2014-06-18T14:55:09 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> File >The Green Mile_tt0120689.mp4<, checking filename filter ><
2014-06-18T14:55:09 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Show >Battlestar Galactica<, checking for showname filter ><
2014-06-18T14:55:09 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Network >Syfy<, checking for network/channel filter ><
2014-06-18T14:55:09 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> IsSports >False<, IsMovie >False<, checking for show type filter >Default<
2014-06-18T14:55:09 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Is CopyProtected >False<, checking for DRM type filter >All<
INFORMATION> 2014-06-18T14:55:09 MCEBuddy.Engine.QueueManager --> Added new job to queue for \DISKSTATION\Video\MCE rename move movies\The Green Mile_tt0120689.mp4
2014-06-18T14:55:09 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Starting Conversion Thread
INFORMATION> 2014-06-18T14:55:09 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> Job for \DISKSTATION\Video\MCE rename move movies\The Green Mile_tt0120689.mp4 started using Conversion Task mce rename move movies1 and Profile MP4 Normal
2014-06-18T14:55:09 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> Temp working path is d:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\working0
2014-06-18T14:55:09 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> Starting new conversions, allowing system sleep
INFORMATION> 2014-06-18T14:55:09 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Creating log file : d:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\log\The Green Mile_tt0120689.mp4-mce rename move movies1-2014-06-18T14-55-09.6851303-05-00.log
2014-06-18T14:55:11 MCEBuddy.Util.UpdateCheck --> MCEBuddy Latest Version 2.2.1.1
2014-06-18T14:55:11 MCEBuddy.Util.UpdateCheck --> MCEBuddy Current Version 2.4.1.0
INFORMATION> 2014-06-18T14:55:33 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> Job for \DISKSTATION\Video\MCE rename move movies\The Green Mile_tt0120689.mp4 completed
2014-06-18T14:55:33 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> Archiving original file \DISKSTATION\Video\MCE rename move movies\The Green Mile_tt0120689.mp4 to Archive folder \DISKSTATION\Video\MCE rename move movies\MCEBuddyArchive
ERROR> 2014-06-18T14:55:33 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> Unable to move original file \DISKSTATION\Video\MCE rename move movies\The Green Mile_tt0120689.mp4 to Archive folder \DISKSTATION\Video\MCE rename move movies\MCEBuddyArchive
ERROR> 2014-06-18T14:55:33 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> Error : System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file '\DISKSTATION\Video\MCE rename move movies\The Green Mile_tt0120689.mp4'.
File name: '\DISKSTATION\Video\MCE rename move movies\The Green Mile_tt0120689.mp4'
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
at MCEBuddy.Engine.Core.MonitorThread()
INFORMATION> 2014-06-18T14:55:33 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> Job for \DISKSTATION\Video\MCE rename move movies\The Green Mile_tt0120689.mp4 Converted successfully using Conversion Task mce rename move movies1 and Profile MP4 Normal
2014-06-18T14:55:33 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> No conversions running , allowing system sleep

I would like to thank you for everything you are doing to make this work properly. This is going to make pulling data much easier for many of the files I am converting.
Jul 28, 2014 at 5:22 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2014 at 5:23 PM
I have been testing the IMDB id metadata extraction you put into mcebuddy beta. During the process I have done about 200 conversions. Occasionally it does not work. I am providing an example below with the logs for you to review.

Before I provide the logs I do have 2 questions you may be able to answer.
  1. Would it be possible to eliminate the need to put the movie or tv series name and just use the imdb # for the file name to eliminate the need to type the name and any other mistakes that occur. Since each IMDB # is unique it would be great if we could just pull metadata with the IMDB # as the file name all by itself.
A few examples:
Instead of

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan_tt0443453.ext
how about
tt0443453.ext

On the above example it was confusing to know what title to type since the colon : is not usable in a file name so do I stop at borat_tt0443453 or type the entire name with no colon or use a comma. If i can just use the unique identifier imdb number in the file name then there is never any confusion.

I am enclosing the log files of a failed IMDB search even though I am certain I am naming the file properly it would not rename according to my naming convention. For whatever reason this happens about 10% of the time when using the IMDB # with the series name and does not rename the file

In this case it was seinfeld_tt0697695 which using my naming convention should have change the file name to s09e23-Seinfeld-The Finale-05-14-1998 and added the proper meta data. I have enclosed 3 log files for your review.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnrpbko84k8lp4i/Seinfeld_tt0697695.vob-mce%20rename%20move%20tv1-2014-07-08T17-16-59.1758925-05-00.zip

Also, I wanted to thank you for the work you have done to add the IMDB # to mcebuddy beta. I really appreciate everything you do to make a great product even better.
Coordinator
Aug 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM
The reason the season and episode information is missing is because that information does not exist on the internet in the context of the imdb id you've provided.

Couple of things to note:
1. The IMDB id you provide in the filename is unique to that episode, so when mcebuddy looks it up it can only take what information has been provide, in your cases above that informatinis missing
2. Since you're providing an IMDBID mcebuddy takes that does not do a name look up on other sources of information since the IMDBID is supposed to provide the most accurate information
The answer here is for you to submit updates to IMDB and them correct their databases for that IMDBID with the correct season and episode information (this is the power for social and free information, everyone can help everyone by updating missing information)

Finally regarding your point of name, unfortunately when MCEBuddy searches by IMDB to "bootstrap" the episode the results do NOT include the series showname just the episode name. Hence MCEBuddy needs to rely on the showname you provide in the filename.
You can use anything it doesn't really matter since mcebuddy does not use it to look up any information using the title showname, just the imdbid.

hope that answers your question.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Ok I must be missing something. When I go to www.imdb.com and type in the search field tt0697695 it bring up this page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697695/ (try it if you like)

On there it clearly state seinfeld season 9 episode 22 with a complete description of the episode.

I would be happy to submit an update to IMDB but i don't know what is missing from the information I can see.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Coordinator
Aug 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM
imdb.com cannot be used directly. MCEBuddy uses a 3rd party service to access the database.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Now I understand. They seem to have all the relevant information from the imdb page except the season and episode number. Very strange. So I guess it is a limitation of omdbapi.com (maybe omdb is not pulling the season and episode) because ibdm.com has the season and episode number. Too bad...we were so close.

Thank you for your efforts. :)
Coordinator
Aug 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM
if you report it to ombdapi team i think they may fix it.