This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Extracting Episode Name from WTV and Embedding into Mp4

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Edited Jun 15, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Is it possible to extract the episode name/subtitle from a WTV file and embed it into an MP4 file? For example, I'm recording the World Cup and the title of all episodes is 2014 FIFA World Cup, but the episode names that indicate who's playing the game are not embedded into the converted MP4 file. I checked the original WTV file and the episode name is there, but it's not making it into the MP4.

Please see attached screenshots for clarification. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:44 PM
It does extract the title and subtitle in put in the MP4. Open you log file and you'll see the details.
Your issue lies with the software you're using to read the MP$ file. Try opening it withh iTunes and you'll see all the information is there.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 6/20/2014 at 10:54 AM
Jun 15, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2014 at 5:22 PM
I was wondering about that myself because none of the software I use even WMC does not show the episode neither does explorer VLC etc.... It's a matter of fact that I choose to write metadata to MP4 Plex will not show the episode name.... it simply says episode 1 episode 2 etc... If I disable write metadata to mp4 instead of episode 1 etc. I get the episode name as it should be.
Jun 15, 2014 at 5:23 PM
search for the form for MP4 metadata, this question has been answered in detail. Part of hte issue is that in MP4 standard there is no ATOM for subtitle/episode to it comes down which sofware reads which ATOM and how they interpret it. MCEBuddy uses the iTunes standard (the only published standard)

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2014 at 5:31 PM
OK guess I will have remux them again and not write metadata so they will show properly in Plex.
Jun 15, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Thanks for your reply. I've tried every configuration I could find in Plex to grab the subtitle. I will ask on their forums to see if anyone has a solution.
Jun 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM
I did some of my shows to a separate directory remuxed without metadata and Plex picked them up just fine. Is there a way to embed the cover to the MP4 but not write the metadata?
Jun 15, 2014 at 9:28 PM
nyplayer wrote:
I did some of my shows to a separate directory remuxed without metadata and Plex picked them up just fine. Is there a way to embed the cover to the MP4 but not write the metadata?
Which scanner and agent are you using to accomplish this? Since these are sporting events, there's not a reliable external data source available, which means I need to depend on local metadata. I will try your suggestion of disabling write metadata to mp4 and see if that helps, even though I don't understand where the metadata would come from if I do this.
Jun 15, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Regular TV Shows not sporting events.
Jun 16, 2014 at 12:03 AM
nyplayer wrote:
Regular TV Shows not sporting events.
Ok, that's why you were able to do it without embedding metadata. For sporting events, the only way to get the subtitle is to figure out how to grab the embedded metadata subtitle or episode name. If you have any ideas, please let me know.