This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Low Memory Problems

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:15 AM
I have a Windows Media Center PC running Windows 8.1. It has an Intel Core i5 3570K quad core Ivy Bridge CPU with 20GB of RAM (no that's not a misprint) and a 2TB USB 3.0 hard drive for recording TV. The internal SATA 150GB WD Raptor drive is not used for TV recording at all. Recently Windows gave me a message saying it was low on memory. This only started occurring since I installed MCEBuddy 2.3.13. What in the world would cause MCEBuddy to use 20GB of RAM? I should note that MCEBuddy is set to only convert one video file at a time and I'm using the WTV Unprocessed profile.
Coordinator
Aug 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM
You seem to have all the hardware to run a GPU encoder, why not use 2.3.15?
Regarding the memory, can you attach a screenshot of the task manager showing MCEBuddy using the memory.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM
what directories are you using for the temporary files that are generated during the mcebuddy process? I had a similar issue because it was using my system drive for the temporary files. Once I switched the directory to my larger drive, no issues.
Aug 8, 2014 at 9:08 PM

The reason I'm not using 2.3.15 is because I have to pay for it. The previous version is free.

As far as I know the folder for the temporary files is on my 2tb drive.

Coordinator
Aug 9, 2014 at 12:20 AM
FYI unless Task Manager shows a particular programs using excessive amounts of memory, it's a system driver that leaks memory and causes windows to run out of memory. So if you can't see it in Task Manager, you've got a bad driver somewhere.
Aug 9, 2014 at 3:41 AM

I haven't had this occur since I installed MCEBuddy. I'm thinking MCEBuddy must be using excessive amounts of RAM during the conversion process. If MCEBuddy is idle then I have at least 15GB of RAM free. Since the PC is used strictly as a cable box I don't normally go to the desktop. Windows Media Center is usually running 24/7.

Coordinator
Aug 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Again can you show me a screenshot of task manager showing mcebuddy using the memory?

MCEBuddy is pretty stressful on the system and invokes a lot of systems calls which in turn invoke drivers. the ONLY thing that can cause an unrecoveable memory leak is a driver (it runs in kernel space memory). MCEBuddy is a MANAGED application under the .NET framework and CANNOT cause a memory leak.
ONLY a non recoverable memory leak (kernel space) over long period of time can cause windows to run out of memory. So one, again unless you can show me a screenshot of task manager showing mcebuddy consuming large amounts of memory, you have a faulty driver.

(and you aren't the first person on this forum to blame mcebuddy for faulty drivers, search the issues page and you'll see what I'm talking about)

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 8/11/2014 at 7:35 AM