This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Converting WMC with different framerates for Roku

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:42 PM
I have been testing out a bunch or WMC recording conversions for playback on my Roku's. I am using the latest early release of mce on my Win7 i7 system. For my profile, I have tried "roku", and "MP4 High Quality". (I also tried the roku 3 preset but for some reason it uses an incompatible audio track). Looking at the log files tells me it was using ffmpeg to convert.

The issue I am encountering is that on a few recordings the playback is choppy. Playing the original video in WMC is fine. After further investigation I have noticed that more often than not, recordings from TBS seem to have the most trouble.

I have started taking a look at the framerate of these videos thinking that might be it and noticed that the WMC recordings have all kinds of framerates (26, 27, 29, 30, 54, 55, 60). I am using handbrake to tell me what the framerate is. How weird! Is this normal?

I am just now installing handbrake to see if this helps. But I am welcome to any suggestions on how this might be corrected.

thanks!
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2014 at 2:14 AM
That's correct. Many recordings have varying frame rates within a single video due to multiple sources (ads etc). Couple if points here

1. If you are using 2.3.15 or later it should be using handbrake and not ffmpeg for at least the mp4 profile. If that works then you can create your own profile using handbrake for Roku. Unfortunately we don't have the equipment (open for donations :) to test and create new profiles for various devices.

2. If you know the frame rate if the main program under expert settings in conversion tasks you can force the frame rate. This may help solve the issue

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 8/24/2014 at 7:13 AM
Aug 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM
I use MP4 High for all of my recordings and play them all through the Roku using Plex. Haven't had any issues at all.
Aug 12, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Since my system was a fresh install of win7, I did not have handbrake loaded so it was using ffmpeg to convert. Now that I have installed hand brake the videos are looking much better. I am now going to retest the roku and mp4 profiles, but I think this solved my issue :)