This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Metadata look up and fall back

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Hello,

I was wondering how exactly metadata look up works currently and if something additional could be implemented.

Currently Movies recorded with MCE and exported via MCEBuddy 2.4.1beta scrape metadata most of the time fine.

Problems I have with are TV Shows:

1, TV Shows do not match up very well. For example I recorded last night on BBC1 Match Of the Day and MCEBuddy did not download artwork/poster or banner from theTVDB. File was converted and renamed fine but according to the logs no metadata was found. theTVDB has metadata such as Poster, Artwork etc ...

2, Would it be possible for MCEBuddy to CREATE a screengrab for any exported file if download metadata is enabled and no poster is found either via IMDB or theTVDB ?
-This way ALL Exported files from MCEBuddy will have at least some sort of thumbnail in XBMC or Plex - whether it maybe proper artwork from metadata providers or screenshot in place of a poster. Date, Actors, Summary is already provided by EPG (and embedded into mp4 tags) so with this extra thumb NO MORE generic placeholder thumbs on TV :-)

Thank you !
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2014 at 2:05 PM
  1. If data is not downloading then the Title showname or the episode showname is not matching what TVDB has. You can see this by comparing the two. If the Titles are not matching, the use the metadata correction options to fix the title matching and it
    should solve your issue. 2. There are no screen grabs, all the work gets done through XML or JSON API's with teh exception of tv.com. If you need the metadata exported then select the Save Metadata option. Maybe I'm missing your point here
Aug 18, 2014 at 8:01 PM
I think you misundertood what i meant with point 2, when " Download Information " and " Save Information " is checked in " Expert Settings "
I meant to point out scenario when TV Show or Movie is/is not matched and what information is/is not gathered.

Consider:

a, Movie/TV Show is matched against metadata provider - resulting mp4 file will have embedded/saved in XML correct metadata and poster will be downloaded from metadata provider website.

b, Move/TV Show is NOT matched (for one reason or another) - resulting mp4 file will have EPG metadata embedded/saved in XML but NO POSTER. My request was to provide a screenshot in place of a poster in this case. (screenshot would be a random screengrab from the exported mp4 file )

If there is a screegrab in the directory along with exported file, XBMC/Plex/VLC will use it as a poster and display it as a poster for the TV Show or Season.
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Sound like a very specific request and customized implementation for yoru requirements. My suggestion would be to write a post custom command, if you don't find a poster then just copy a blank one into the destination directory.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 8/19/2014 at 9:03 AM