This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MCEBuddy Remote Client not access server.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:04 PM
I'm trying to install the remote client on my desktop so I can access mcebuddy on my server without actually logging onto my server.

It seems to install fine, but when it starts up it says MCEBuddy service not connected in the title bar. In MCEBuddy itself, it reports, "The MCEBuddy service is unavailable. Please start from Windows control panel or check engine connection."

I couldn't seem to find instruction for installing the remote client. There was just a history log.

Do I need to allow the server access for the remote client?
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM
Edited Aug 22, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Yep, you need to enable remote access on the machine where the MCEBuddy engine is running. On the machine where the engine is installed, start the MCEBuddy GUI application. Click on Settings -> Advanced Settings (or General Settings in 2.4.1) -> Expert Settings. There check the box for Enable Remote Access.

If you trying to access the machine from outside your local network through the Home Gateway/Router then you also need to check Enable UPnP to create the UPnP forwarding entries in your router (or do it manually)
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 8/22/2014 at 4:55 PM
Aug 23, 2014 at 7:44 AM
I can't seem to access the server and I get the exact same error.

Both server and desktop are on the same router.

any other ideas?
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2014 at 8:55 AM
What version are you using? Upload a copy if the mcebuddy.log file from the machines where th engine is running.

Aug 23, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Here is the mcebuddy file from the log folder of my server.
TEXT
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2014 at 8:00 PM
Also are you entering the remote host ipaddress/name and port correct in the remote client?

In the remote client click on the events link in the GUI and see what errors you see. Post them back here.

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM
The remote client doesn't ask for an ip address at all. I see no configuration file to edit. The config folder only contains a single empty file named temp.

When I click on events it says, "Unable to get Event Log entries from the MCEBuddy engine." so no errors to report at all.

I see no MCEBuddy Remote Client docs anywhere.
Coordinator
Aug 24, 2014 at 1:01 AM
The remote client is the same client as the local installed client.

At the bottom on the window is a small icon next to Priority. Click it and enter the IPAddress of your MCEBuddy engine machine, unless you changed the port leave it as default.
Click OK and now it should connect.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:39 AM
Sweet, it works great!

Do you know by chance if there is a remote client like this for windows media center? It's a pain to remote into the server to add new shows to record or make other changes.
Coordinator
Aug 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM
Yes there is and the link is the bottom page of the MCEBuddy website (main page). It's called the MCE plugin. It's actually written by a 3rd party developer (cool dude) hence we can't host the download directly but we've posted a link to it. It's called MCEBuddyViewer

For your reference it's

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM
In today's build and the website there is now a Remote Client Guide included. Let us know your feedback on it.

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM
rboy1 wrote:
Yes there is and the link is the bottom page of the MCEBuddy website (main page). It's called the MCE plugin. It's actually written by a 3rd party developer (cool dude) hence we can't host the download directly but we've posted a link to it. It's called MCEBuddyViewer For your reference it's http://mcebuddyviewer.codeplex.com/releases
I installed it on my desktop for testing along with mcebuddy server, but I can't seem to find it in media center. I couldn't seem to find any documentation for it either. I just unzipped it and ran the file and it seemed to install okay, no errors at least.

As for the remote client guide, it seems good. The only thing that stuck out was entering the server name. some may want to use the ip address and not know what their server name is.
Aug 24, 2014 at 6:36 PM
I forgot to post that my MCEBuddy remote client UI is garbled on the bottom where it has the close, settings, et cetera. Here is a pic of what I see,

TEXT

I just ran it again and it starts off larger and looks fine, then shrinks down to this. I have windows set to increase the window fonts, icons, et cetera as I have a 27" 1440p monitor everything is tiny. But this works in reverse and makes it smaller instead of larger. I'll check it out and test with normal sizes all around and see if it clears up.
Aug 24, 2014 at 8:14 PM
rboy1 wrote:
Yes there is and the link is the bottom page of the MCEBuddy website (main page). It's called the MCE plugin. It's actually written by a 3rd party developer (cool dude) hence we can't host the download directly but we've posted a link to it. It's called MCEBuddyViewer For your reference it's http://mcebuddyviewer.codeplex.com/releases
What I meant was, I need a windows media center remote client. So I can control the server's media center from my desktop.

I don't think I really need the MCEBuddy Viewer, unless it does something more than I thought. Still haven't figured it out just yet.
Coordinator
Aug 24, 2014 at 8:31 PM
I thought theh guide said you can use an ipaddress or name.

The picture looks like you're enabled custom fonts in Windows. MCEBuddy is designed to work with custom DPI (visual accessability) but not custom fonts. Change your font to default (you can use custom DPI) and it should work fine.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:57 PM
I changed it back to the default windows theme and it still does it.

I couldn't see any other way to reset to all default in the personalize menu. Is it located somewhere else.

When I go to the display menu from within the personalization menu, It has a, "Change only the text size", but it is unchecked, so I think it may scale with the, "Change the size of all item" slider.

I'm using Windows 8 upgraded to 8.1
Coordinator
Aug 25, 2014 at 1:26 AM
I guess you'll have to reset all back to defaults and then goto display settings and click make text larger which will open the DPI menu and select 125 or 150 depending upon what you want.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:51 AM
rmjohnson144 wrote:
Sweet, it works great!

Do you know by chance if there is a remote client like this for windows media center? It's a pain to remote into the server to add new shows to record or make other changes.
I have a similar setup and I use Remote Potato (http://remotepotato.com/) to manage my WMC recordings on my "headless" server. It can schedule and manage recordings from a browser for free or for a few $ on a smartphone app. It has some other cool features like being able to stream shows, pictures, music as well.