This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

reinstall fails. Another version already removed but Windows won't install new

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Great program, thanks. I just uninstalled using the directions in the readme.rtf of the earlyaccess then tried installing the latest version. Here's the error message from WinXP:

Error 1001. Exception occurred while initializing the installation: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\MCEBuddy.Service.exe' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified..

I note the error message looks odd as if confusing linux directory slashes with Windows directory slashes and note that there are three slashes after file:

So, what happens is that the MCEBuddy 2.3 uninstall.bat runs uninstall, the bar graph progresses, gets almost to the end, Windows sends that error message, then backs the bargraph off to its start.

A CMD window does open and a string appears between { } with msiexec /x I'm tempted to go into the registry and delete that key but am hesitating.

I had started running a device in a back room and it uses wifi and a good deal of current. In the same room is a wall wart that powers my cable power booster. My MECBuddy transcodes went from 3½-4½ hours per hour video to 8-12 hour transcodes. But I had also installed a nightly build of Handbrake. I tried adding a line filter to the wall wart power to no avail.

I decided to replace MCEBuddy with the most recent donators version as well as Comskip and see if the transcode time dropped from 10+ hours on one of last night's recordings before searching for a different power phase outlet for the heavy current wifi device in the back room. Even putting the device on a different phase, it might be the heavy wifi use causing the router to put noise on the line in the room with my HDHR3-cc. When I have the heavy current device in the same room as the router and using cat3 instead of wifi, there had been no long transcodes.
Aug 31, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Found the fix to reinstall. Went into the earlier MCEBuddy installation folder and ran the Setup64.msi, reinstalled the earlier version then uninstalled using the same .msi program then went into the newest version install folder and the installation is progressing.
Aug 31, 2014 at 5:33 PM
This happens due to a incorrect windows uninstall. You can also refer to the installation issues page on the documentation page for help with errors

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 9/13/2014 at 5:50 AM
Aug 31, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Edited Aug 31, 2014 at 6:07 PM
Perhaps relating to an earlier 32 bit MCEBuddy installation in the \Program Files (x86)\ that had been uninstalled and replaced with a 64 bit version in the \Program Files\ directory. The Start button Programs list retained an MCEBuddy 2.3 folder having an uninstall.bat. I did not register this as wrong given the install went to a 2x folder. This has now been replaced with a MCEBuddy 2.4 folder.

As far as transcode time, an hour video recorded last night is transcoding in half the time it would have taken if I had not reinstalled. I did not reinstall the nightly build of handbrake. I had tried the nightly build of handbrake hoping to use my video card in the transcode process. Although it didn't speed things up it didn't seem to slow the process so I had left it for a couple of weeks.