This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Custom Cuts and large files and VPRJ (VideoRedo)

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:08 PM
I trying to use Custom Cuts with files from NextPVR (Latest version). I did not have any issues previously using comskip. The files in question are from CBS and are about 4.5G (30 mins) and 9G(1 hr). Here is the issue. When I drag the ts file into Custom Cuts the video looks fine. I start to make my cuts and usually by the second cut the file freezes. I am running this on a pretty fast Windows 8 PC with 4G Ram. I have edited other files from other channels without issue and even a few from CBS. So far most of the issues come from the CBS recordings (I believe they have the highest bit rate) but I have only been using the program for a few days. If anyone has any ideas please let me know?
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM
When you file freezes do you mean none of the control works or when you move the slider the picture doesn't change?

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:07 PM
When I move the slider the picture doesn't change. All the controls seem to work. I can even load the file again.
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM
I suspect it may be an issue with the video codecs or the video itself. MCEBuddy hands over the reigns to Windows Media Foundation to decode and display the video, essentially it just tells Windows what specific frame/time to show, the actual decoding and displaying lies with Windows.
So when you move the slider and picture doesn't update, there's something going on between Windows codecs and the Video itself. So either the video codec (if you're using 3rd party codecs) isn't functioning right or (more likely) the video has some frame/content which the codec isn't able to process or decode. It would be a compatbility issue (some codecs can't handle high bitrates or special encoding features like bframes etc) or just that the video is corrupted.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 9/2/2014 at 12:12 PM
Sep 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM
Okay I did some testing and the files play perfectly in VLC. So I went back to Windows Media player and tried a number of MPEG-2 codecs with the same bad result. So I went back to the NextPVR and checked the decoder it was using. It was set to LAV Video Decoder. I changed it to Cyberlink (PDVD10) and then updated the Cyberlink software. I now have a set a few recordings and will test. Hopefully the issue will go away. Thanks for your help.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 9/2/2014 at 12:12 PM
Sep 3, 2014 at 6:27 PM
After my testing the problem has returned. Looks like about 1 in 4 of the ts files have the issue. I was able to get the files to edit in VideoRedo Plus 3.0 but it uses a different cut format than EDL. Is there a way to use the vprj instead of the EDL or some other work around? Thanks again for all the help.
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2014 at 7:43 PM
Upload a sample VPRJ file

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Here is the file:

VPRJ File
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Done, in the next build MCEBuddy and Custom Cuts will read the VPRJ files (same name as source file) and extract the Cuts (not chapters) information and save it to an EDL file. (this will happen when you open a file in Custom Cuts or MCEBuddy starts a conversion and finds a VPRJ file with the same name)
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 9/9/2014 at 9:42 AM
Sep 9, 2014 at 6:22 PM
That is awesome. I look forward to trying it soon.

Thanks so much.
Sep 11, 2014 at 6:30 PM
I have now done a couple of shows and it works great. Thanks.