This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Comskip, WTV and XBMC

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:27 PM
I'm just trying to figure out if I'm going down the right path or not. I've tried reading the documentation and other posts and I feel like I'm missing something or perhaps I'm not understanding all the terminology. I just want to make sure.

Here is what I am trying to do:
1) Schedule recordings in WMC
2) Skip commercials and play back recorded programs in XBMC with the least amount of processing time done by my HTPC.

I tried using the paid version of MCEBuddy and I found it to take too long for my needs. I have a HTPC that is a pretty decent AMD A10 quad core machine with8 GB RAM and it was taking a few hours to do a 1 hour show. I enabled hardware acceleration on my video card as well.

Please tell me if I'm going about this wrong.

1) Record in WMC as normal
2)Configure MCEBuddy to use WTV Unprocessed Profile, Remove Ads= yes(comskip) and no remux, no copying in the expert settings.
3) Play recorded TV in XBMC which will then automatically skip the commercials using the EDL files

It's my understanding that MCEBuddy will wait for newly recorded TV shows in the directory I specified and when it finds a new recording it will process the video only generating the EDL file (while keeping original .WTV file) which will be used by XBMC to skip ahead past the commercials rather than re-creating a new file with the commercials actually cut out.

Any insight or pointing in the right direction of a post that might help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sep 9, 2014 at 5:42 AM
What exactly is the issue you're facing? You haven't mentioned it.

If you're trying to only generate the EDL file then make sure you check the Skip Cutting Ads check box in the Expert Settings. (otherwise it'll cut the video instead of generating a EDL file). For future reference post your conversion log (link or upload, don't copy paste) to give us a better picture.

Also assuming you're using the donator version of comskip (esp since you're skipping remuxing, you would need it to speed things up).

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/1/2014 at 8:17 PM