This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Creating DVD from the VOB profile

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:13 AM
Profile suggests creating a VOB file for DVDs. Then what?

Everything I research suggests I need more than the VOB file to burn to DVD or else suggests that I convert VOB to MPG with another tool. Be easier to create MPG in the first place except I had hoped I could get closed captions, etc. like standard DVD. What settings do I need?
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2014 at 4:36 AM
Yes you need more than a VOB (index structures etc) but any DVD writing software can create that for you. If you're trying to create a DVD, then use the VOB's with some software like Nero to burn it to a DVD.

For closed captions/subtitles those are container format specific. What exactly are you trying to do?

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/1/2014 at 8:14 PM
Sep 10, 2014 at 12:36 AM

I would like to use the DVD VOB profile to create files that I could burn to a DVD and play on a regular DVD player. I have ROXIO 10 Easy Media Creator Suite.

As I currently have the DVD VOB profile set, it just generates a single VOB file for each program which ROXIO 10 doesn’t recognize.

Can you advise the appropriate settings for the DVD VOB profile to generate the all the files I need? Something like:

Or is the DVD VOB profile for some non-obvious purpose? Obviously I can use the MP4 profile and ROXIO to convert mp4 to a playable DVD, but that’s clearly an extra step if the DVD VOB profile can be used for this.

Ideally I’d like to capture closed captions for the DVD that I could turn on and off like a commercial DVD. (FYI, I use the MP4 profile to convert the closed captions to subtitles, but I would like more flexibility in DVD.)

In His joy,

John Tissell
[email removed] <[email removed]> e-mail
206-427-1239 phone
<http://home.jps.net/~jtissell/>

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2014 at 1:38 PM
MCEBuddy does not generate the metadata required to burn a DVD just the video file itself. I'm not sure about Roxio but personally I used Nero and it works fine. It'll take the VOB file and generate the remaining metadata required.
Sep 14, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Gotcha.

Respectfully suggest that you note that Nero is recommended for the DVD VOB profile. I’ve also discovered that although Roxio Easy Media Creator 10, specifically MyDVD, doesn’t recognize the VOB file as a valid VOB file—if file extension is renamed as mpeg2 it has no trouble generating the metadata required to burn a standard playable DVD. So success!

Of course, now I’m curious why with so many profiles, there isn’t one called DVD MPG? J

Again, thanks for your good work and for setting me on the right path to solve this.

In His joy,

John Tissell
206-427-1239 phone

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback in the next 2.4.1 build we've added a comment to use Nero for the DVD VOB profile.

There is no DVD MPG, it's VCD MPG. DVD has 2 formats TS and VOB, identical just depends upon the user's choice (some prefer local playback others want to burn)

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Thanks.

That should clarify it a bit.

Appears I just know enough about video to get confused. In any case, the mpeg2 is working for me.

(I suspect this is all too similar to mp3 versus cda which drives newbies nuts as well.)

FYI, Roxio seems to generate both:

In His joy,

John Tissell
206-427-1239 phone